PDA

View Full Version : My Investment Strategy

dverna
06-06-2013, 05:21 PM
A recent thread on the "merits" of smelting WW's has sparked this. Like some others, I will not "waste my time" searching for, sorting, and smelting WW's. Like the NutraSystem commercial says, "No, no, and no!"

Seven years ago I purchased two tons of shot for about $22/bag and it has nearly doubled in value. The same thing will happen with lead and lead alloys for bullets. And the supply of WW's will only continue to diminish or even disappear in the not too distance future.

So, now that I am retired I thought, "Why not invest in lead?". Its value will continue to go up and it is not as easily stolen as sliver or gold - I see it as a "precious metal". It needs no special storage and lasts for decades. So I purchased a ton of hardball alloy for $3600 delivered to my garage.

My current plans are to shoot about 8-10,000 cast bullets a year so I need 200-250 lbs/yr. of alloy. Most of my shooting will be at my own range so I can reclaim most of the alloy. I will be shooting commercial bullets too, plus my buddies will we adding more lead to my sand "bullet traps" so I should be able to mine as much lead as I need for cast bullets every year. If I limit my mining/smelting to once a year, I will only use 250 lbs of my "stash". I can either sell the rest off when prices go nuts, or keep it and let it appreciate if I don't need the money. I can also turn it into bullets and barter with it if the SHTF.

Now, this "strategy" will work with any lead that you care to use. I bought hardball alloy because I am lazy and it will do 98% of what I need done for cast bullets with no further effort.

This small investment will give me a lifetime of enjoyment both casting bullets and shooting them up. Plus there is a good chance I will double my money in less than seven years the way the Fed's are printing Ben Franklins.

YMMV

Don Purcell
06-06-2013, 07:16 PM
dverna, the obvious question is where did you buy the alloy?

jmort
06-06-2013, 07:19 PM
It is a sound investment strategy. Lead/alloys are heavy but I doubt you will lose money, and best case scenario is a tidy profit. Useful most anything is better than paper/electronic dollars.

762 shooter
06-06-2013, 07:33 PM
What is a good commodity to invest in?

1. No shelf life.
2. As metals go, relatively cheap.
3. Many uses.
4. Becoming less available.
5. Feed your hobby Jones.
6. Low melting temp.
7. Feared by the left.
8. Better than tungsten, zinc, and bismuth.
9. Four letter word.
10. Never will be worth less than it is now. ( Especially on this site).
11. One pound at 45-270-SAA worth 26 shots.

Buy em cheap and stack em deep.

You cannot go wrong.

BBQJOE
06-06-2013, 07:48 PM
No.
The obvious question is, what is your address?

MT Gianni
06-06-2013, 10:42 PM
"We deal in lead, Friend", I just don't remember the reference where I heard the line. Is there a smelter somewhere that would sell 10K lb of alloy of even PB? More than that would be tough to haul in person.

mroliver77
06-06-2013, 11:14 PM
I bought a few ton of range scrap a few years back for approx .03 lb and have WW that I paid .10 - .25 lb.. Pile of tin that was $5. lb and about set off my gag button. Lino I have not a lot but paid .35lb. I have been finding old solder at garage sales for good price too. I always take all they have. A lady friend has been finding me pewter. I average about $2lb. My ladyfriend said I should turn it into cash so I dont have to "mess" with it. It's not like you have to feed it or herd it up or anything. Greenbacks do not appreciate. My little investment is doing very well percentage wise!

I also buy scrap metals or take most anything that is free. I hauled an electric kitchen range filled with nuts, bolts, lawn mower blades, oil filters, fence etc. to the scrap yard couple days ago. Just stuff I collected in a 55 gal drum. $48.
I have a big ole farm barn, 40 acres of brush ground and woods to store my "investments".

Shedhunter
06-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Invest in precious metals, buy lead and tin. I just picked up some more solder to add to the stash.

Don Purcell
06-07-2013, 01:32 AM
dverna I'm in southeastern part of Illinois.

jonp
06-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Maybe yes, maybe no. if inflation spikes as many believe it will have to your investment will lose value. Of course, it will always be good for barter. Im investing in powder and primers which are harder to come by. Im up to 40lbs of powder and 10k of primers.

I hope the NSA isnt reading this. ;)

imashooter2
06-07-2013, 07:40 AM
The problem is where do you sell a ton of alloy at the inflated prices when you need the money? Fifty pounds at a time in flat rate boxes is a lot of work and slow to recoup your money. Selling it to one guy local you are unlikely to see the best pricing. With gold at better than $1,400 an ounce, you can hold a lot more dollars than your ton of lead in one hand and there are established channels to turn it into cash if you need to.

"We deal in lead, friend." is a line from The Magnificent Seven... I believe it was spoken by Steve McQueen.

Lizard333
06-07-2013, 08:10 AM
This is a great plan right up until we all become criminals when the EPA, with their drones, outlaws lead, and makes it illegal to shoot, own, or to have in ones possession.

Maybe I've been watching to much Glen Beck, but it's still in the back of my mind. I don't think they have any intention of stopping with WW's. Look at California. You can no longer hunt with lead. I don't think they will stop.

high standard 40
06-07-2013, 08:24 AM
This is a great plan right up until we all become criminals when the EPA, with their drones, outlaws lead, and makes it illegal to shoot, own, or to have in ones possession.

Maybe I've been watching to much Glen Beck, but it's still in the back of my mind. I don't think they have any intention of stopping with WW's. Look at California. You can no longer hunt with lead. I don't think they will stop.

This is a fear that I share. If the govt bans lead, it would be the death of sport shooting.

Epd230
06-07-2013, 10:25 AM
...And lead is not protected by the Constitution.

garym1a2
06-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Lead is a much better investment when you don't have to buy it. Spent brass is a even better investment.

dverna
06-07-2013, 01:40 PM

Don,

I purchased the lead from:

Mayco Industries
618-798-6112 – Phone
618-798-6143 – fax
866-618-7468 – toll free

They beat Rotometals by $1800 as Roto does mostly small quantities. I am not associated with Mayco but found them with an internet search.

Don Verna

dverna
06-07-2013, 02:04 PM
The problem is where do you sell a ton of alloy at the inflated prices when you need the money? Fifty pounds at a time in flat rate boxes is a lot of work and slow to recoup your money. Selling it to one guy local you are unlikely to see the best pricing. With gold at better than $1,400 an ounce, you can hold a lot more dollars than your ton of lead in one hand and there are established channels to turn it into cash if you need to.

"We deal in lead, friend." is a line from The Magnificent Seven... I believe it was spoken by Steve McQueen.

It is no more work than selling another ingots. And as it becomes more expensive, people will only be able to afford small quantities (one to two flat rate boxes at a time). Look at how many people buy lead here in small quantities and companies like Rotometal who specialize in small quantities. Look at lead sales on Ebay.

In fact, I am waiting to see if I can mine range lead at a couple of places. If I do not get permission, I will probably purchase another 2-3 tons. My cash is making less than 1% in the bank and losing value as the Fed prints money. I see no downside.

If lead is ever "banned" then the value skyrockets - YIPPEE!!! I have 20 wooded acres and another few hundred acres of State land I abut to. I can bury it in and it does not take many "shallow graves" to store a few tons of lead. My Ranger will carry 1000 lbs easily into some rough areas if need be.

I think lead is better than gold for most us. We can still get it cheap. We can sell it off in small quantities easily and by converting it into bullets (or loaded ammo) makes a great barter item or STHF item (try getting $1400 of value from an ounce of gold if the STHF). it is not easily stolen. It can be stored "safely" anywhere. It does not to be insured. We can use it in our hobby.

BBQJOE
06-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Unfortunately everything we use in our little hobby, except 1 item, can be found with a metal detector.
They probably have one now that works from space.
Or will just watch you while you bury it.

I like the idea though, except if it becomes illegal, shipping will be too obvious.

imashooter2
06-07-2013, 02:35 PM
It takes a whole bunch more effort to sell a ton of lead than 3 ounces of gold. I concur that gold has little end of the wworld value, but then neither will a ton of hardball lead without the PO to deliver it 50 pounds at a time all over the country. I disagree with your reasoning on lead as an investment, but you don't need my approval. Carry on! :)

popper
06-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Don't know about investment value but placed another order today.

captaint
06-07-2013, 02:48 PM
"the death of sport shooting"?? Exactly, that's why they will never stop. It's all about control. That's all. Control. Mike

trixter
06-07-2013, 03:50 PM

I will be storing some of my lead in the drones, LOL

Don Purcell
06-07-2013, 06:11 PM
dverna, thanks much I will look into it.

762 shooter
06-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Lead actually can be used and has practical value. Try casting a squirrel boolit from gold at 1950 degrees.

Of course if you think that everything is good and bad times could never happen here, ignore this.

shadowcaster
06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
A recent thread on the "merits" of smelting WW's has sparked this. Like some others, I will not "waste my time" searching for, sorting, and smelting WW's. Like the NutraSystem commercial says, "No, no, and no!"

To each his own.. on whether a body gathers whatever type of scrap they can get their hands on, or buys new alloy.

Lead being a commodity is IMO, a good investment and your theory on it has merit. Time is also an investment, and as long as I enjoy any/all aspects of this hobby I don't bother counting my time until it becomes work.

Shad

Love Life
06-07-2013, 09:07 PM
I like the idea, and it is pretty sound. Just be aware that the buried lead will retain heat long after the ground cools off. Unless it is buried DEEP you can spot it with thermals quite easily. Just a though since the boogie man was brought up in this thread.

I also agree gold would not be worth much in a SHTF situation. I mean. I'd trade you a potato for an ounce of gold, but I wouldn't trade you ammo. As a matter of fact I wouldn't give somebody the means to kill me unless I'd known them for life or unless I really needed what they had.

Just for money value in a non SHTF scenario I feel much safer in investing in components than gold or lead. My gold is gone, and once things calm down I plan to go super gangbusters on components. They aren't getting any cheaper either...

jonp
06-07-2013, 09:50 PM
"I'd trade you a potato for an ounce of gold, but I wouldn't trade you ammo."

With ammo you can take his gold and potato's.