PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lyman 4500

RKJ
06-06-2013, 06:41 AM
I've gotten the pressure nut tightened too tight on the pressure screw and now cannot remove it. I've gotten the lube out and sent an Email to Lyman but they haven't responded as yet and I have no idea how to proceed. If I need to send it back to Lyman that's what I will do, but I figured I'd ask the folks here as there are many who are very knowledgeable and surely (hopefully) I'm not the only one to have done this. Thank you all. Joe

imashooter2
06-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Why can't you remove it? Describe the mechanism of failure.

RKJ
06-06-2013, 07:12 AM
The bottom of the pressure screw where it fits into the press turns freely. I've tightened the press down and tried a friction fit against it but neither worked. I believe there's a simple fix but it's eluding me.

lka
06-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Give up now on their cust service, my 4500 literally fell apart, I was trying o order parts (and pay for them not Warranty ) and they still haven't gotten back to me. I just paid inflated prices on eBay for the parts,

As for the screw, find a small peace of rubber or something and bolt the press down with the rubber between the PS and your workbench.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/06/ypyrerav.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/06/e8uhu2e6.jpg

It works great Besides this, i will be more gentile I guess, lol

imashooter2
06-06-2013, 11:32 PM
The screw is supposed to turn freely in the base. If it didn't turn in the base, you couldn't tighten or loosen the pressure nut. Attach the press to a bench so that the screw will not push out the bottom of the press and then screw the pressure nut out. Turn the screw clockwise to remove the nut.

If the pressure nut is spinning in the bottom of the lube reservoir, then use a long screw driver to hold it from spinning and turn the screw clockwise as above.

If you have stripped the screw, remove the press from the bench. Apply pressure to the screw and turn counter clockwise until it engages the nut and the screw protrudes from the bottom of the press. Use a soft hammer or lead ingot to tap the screw back flush, mount the press to a bench and continue to remove the nut by turning the screw clockwise.

lka
06-07-2013, 11:03 AM
The screw is supposed to turn freely in the base. If it didn't turn in the base, you couldn't tighten or loosen the pressure nut. Attach the press to a bench so that the screw will not push out the bottom of the press and then screw the pressure nut out. Turn the screw clockwise to remove the nut.

If the pressure nut is spinning in the bottom of the lube reservoir, then use a long screw driver to hold it from spinning and turn the screw clockwise as above.

If you have stripped the screw, remove the press from the bench. Apply pressure to the screw and turn counter clockwise until it engages the nut and the screw protrudes from the bottom of the press. Use a soft hammer or lead ingot to tap the screw back flush, mount the press to a bench and continue to remove the nut by turning the screw clockwise.

That's right, It was just a quick idea

RKJ
06-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Well, I got it and after reading imashooter2's post and running it through my head the light came on and it finally made sense to me.(Sometimes I amaze myself with my thick skull) I didn't have a screwdriver thin enough so had to use an old carpet knife but it worked and up it came. But, the screw is stripped. I ordered another screw, nut, cap and O rings. I'm going to try to run a regular nut down the screw to see if I can't clean it up. Maybe it will work, heck it can't hurt can it? Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.

imashooter2
06-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Glad you got it. With the replacement parts, the press will be good as new.

RKJ
06-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Glad you got it. With the replacement parts, the press will be good as new.

Thank you. I called Lyman and the tech told me to try the same thing with the screwdriver and I just couldn't figure it, but after I thought on what you had written it made perfect sense. Now I've got about a 3 week wait though, but I can do some casting and be ready when the parts come in. Thanks again, to everyone.