PDA

View Full Version : It Says it all!!

41 mag fan
06-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Was at Walmart this morning to pick up a few things. One of them was a notebook to keep my notes in for loads, groups, ect ect.
Swung by the school/ office supply area...and lo and behold if it didn't scream out to me....

Figured it was ironic and just had to share, since it's something all shooters try to strive for!!

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/91msd92/Photo06051045_zps92d56983.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/91msd92/media/Photo06051045_zps92d56983.jpg.html)

abqcaster
06-05-2013, 03:28 PM
That's fantastic! :-D My kids love Perry the platypus, btw...

boltaction308
06-05-2013, 03:31 PM
That's fantastic! :-D My kids love Perry the platypus, btw...

So thats who that is, never heard of him...

Jim
06-05-2013, 04:12 PM
You ain't right, Shane.

BSalty
06-05-2013, 04:17 PM
:guntootsmiley: My kids watch that show. I say it is perfect for the intended purpose.

Epd230
06-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Aren't you a little young for that notebook?

Why yes, yes I am.

41 mag fan
06-05-2013, 09:19 PM
That thing on the front is a platypus?? I never would of thought of that!

You ain't right, Shane.

Awww..heck Jim I could of told you that one!!

Aren't you a little young for that notebook?

Why yes, yes I am.

Never too young!! I just liked the words!!

Epd230
06-05-2013, 09:21 PM
(^ that's a quote from the cartoon)

montana_charlie
06-05-2013, 09:53 PM
In my day, a cartoon character bore a pretty strong resemblance to the real animal it imitated.
A road runner could not be mistaken for a peacock, and a coyote would never look like a St. Bernard.

If that thing looks anything like a platypus I'm a monkey's uncle.
CM

rush1886
06-05-2013, 10:42 PM
At first glance, I thought it was some sort of new age Gumby!

shooter17
06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
^ ha ha that was my thought

runfiverun
06-06-2013, 01:12 AM
there's a 104 days in summer.
oh,,,,, we are in a thread.
perry is a super undercover crime stopper when he has the hat on.

41 mag fan
06-06-2013, 07:01 AM
there's a 104 days in summer.
oh,,,,, we are in a thread.
perry is a super undercover crime stopper when he has the hat on.

He is??? Dang and to think all this time the reason i bought the notebook was because most shooters unconsciencely flinch right as the pull the trigger, throwing their shots or groups off!

10-x
06-06-2013, 07:23 AM
LOL.....looks like a good notebook to give to students when they go to a shooting class. Yea I miss the Roadrunner, Daffy Duck(his famous line,"What a moroon" applies to many today) and Tom and Jerry. Now the 3 Stooges run the country, Oh for the good ole days.

41 mag fan
06-06-2013, 08:41 AM
LOL.....looks like a good notebook to give to students when they go to a shooting class. Yea I miss the Roadrunner, Daffy Duck(his famous line,"What a moroon" applies to many today) and Tom and Jerry. Now the 3 Stooges run the country, Oh for the good ole days.

True 10-X...sadly the good old days and cartoons are gone. Used to be Saturday mornings were reserved for Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes cartoons. After 8 amish you went outside, you didn't sit in front of a computer or video game on a TV.
You went outside, you went to baseball practice, and yup it was hot, but you dealt with the heat of summer. You didn't worry about heat stroke, because you was used to the heat, because back then the A/C didn't come on till it hit 90* out.
You didn't have to worry about your kids back then, going to their friends house 3 blocks away, because back then pedophiles didn't roam the streets like they do now, street gangs didn't do drive by shootings like they do now. Drugs like meth were unheard of, and kids got together in the neighborhood in the evenings and played outside till dark.
Sadly the good days are gone, as each generation says about their time when they was young, and what they see of the generation they raised to adulthood.

But I bought the notebook, besides as you can see the price tag...$1, I got a good ironic laugh out of the saying. I didn't know what the picture of a Platypus?? was, nor cared.
I've been doing alot of shooting on my Browning 45-70 with different loads and wanted to keep track of my data and findings.
AND..I don't believe there's a person out here, who at one time or another who doesn't flinch at the pull of the trigger.
When you start getting into stouter loads, I talk myself through mentally on not flinching.
Giving this notebook to kids who are taking shooting classes....VERY good idea, as that's one thing they need to learn, when you develop a flinch it's very hard to reverse that practice beyond lots and lots of talking yourself thru and practicing!

10-x
06-06-2013, 09:06 AM
41, Yep, everything you said is right. We didn't have AC until the 70's when my Dad had to have it, and it got hot in coastal Va. Remember staying under a big elm tree or just in the woods with my dog. In the summer (or some weekends)a friend and I used to ride the country roads on our bikes going from one store to another. Ride about 20 miles doing the store circuit. Get a RC or some home made ice tea and on to the next. Our bus driver and her husband owned one, she knew all the kids, no one did anything wrong cause parents would get a call on the party line and everybody would know. One lady that had a store made the best egg salad I've had, been 50 years ago..........
I'd have to dig out my old AMTU manual and see what it said about flinching, IIRC it was called "anticipating the shot" which put the shot low.

41 mag fan
06-06-2013, 09:37 AM
41, Yep, everything you said is right. We didn't have AC until the 70's when my Dad had to have it, and it got hot in coastal Va. Remember staying under a big elm tree or just in the woods with my dog. In the summer (or some weekends)a friend and I used to ride the country roads on our bikes going from one store to another. Ride about 20 miles doing the store circuit. Get a RC or some home made ice tea and on to the next. Our bus driver and her husband owned one, she knew all the kids, no one did anything wrong cause parents would get a call on the party line and everybody would know. One lady that had a store made the best egg salad I've had, been 50 years ago..........
I'd have to dig out my old AMTU manual and see what it said about flinching, IIRC it was called "anticipating the shot" which put the shot low.

Yes thanks 10-x...thats what it's called. Shot anticipation. Lord knows, I've done it on these loads I've been testing. 25 loads a day, changing just 1 thing and recording my findings. Been doing 25 loads a day now for a couple of weeks....shot anticipation happens.
Same here growing up in IL before getting wise and moving out of the state when I was 18. It was hot as all get out and humid, but as a kid, we took swimming lessons in the mornings. Only way to pass back then to advanced swimmers, was to be able to tread water fully clothed in 12' part for 6 hrs nonstop.
We made it, and went up. We went to the pool 3x's a week back then during the day. Rode our bikes across town to go. Couldn't of been much more than 1st grade age.
All of us kids got together in the evenings. I can guarantee you there was 20 of us every evening. We ran the neighborhood, not getting into trouble like kids these days do.
We were kids.
We then moved my 4th grade year to another town. Mom took me to advanced swimming there, drove me into town, 5 1/2 mi one way.
I'd stay in town all day, she'd pick me up in the park in the late afternoon around 3, she dropped me off at 8am. Or she'd leave me in town till around 7, as I'd have ball practice at 5pm.
But when I started staying home instead of going to town, I worked the farm fields off and on since i was 8 yrs old. Cutting corn out of beans for the farmers.
If I wasn't working, I was then running the country where we lived. I'd be in the woods, or at one of the 2 ponds that were within 1/2 mi of us fishing.
Heck mom caught me one time up the highway at West Liberty. It was 5 mi past Dundas where which was our postal town, and we were 1 1/2 mi past Dundas. I rode my bike there to get a pop at the gas station. Couldn't of been more than 10yrs old. She told me to get my butt home, and she took off.
Nowadays, 10 yr old on a highway on a bike....family services would be knocking on the door.
Good days are definitely gone...you can't trust your neighbor anymore around your kids, let alone letting them get out of your sight.
You can't let a kid be a kid as there'll be a knock on the door, and a person standing there with a folder in their hand, if not a cop behind them.

dakotashooter2
06-06-2013, 10:39 AM
. Now the 3 Stooges run the country, Oh for the good ole days.

If we had only known............................................. ......

Love Life
06-06-2013, 11:03 PM
In my day, a cartoon character bore a pretty strong resemblance to the real animal it imitated.
A road runner could not be mistaken for a peacock, and a coyote would never look like a St. Bernard.

If that thing looks anything like a platypus I'm a monkey's uncle.
CM

They had cartoons back then? Dang. I would have thought the television had not been invented yet....