PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned

Bret4207
08-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Ok, so I've got like 14 custom moulds. Some I've got 2 of, most just one. For your sanitys sake when you get a new mould MARK THE DARN THING!!!! I've got 8mm's and 35's and 25's and Fat 30's and 4 diffenrent kinds of 6.5's and I don't know which one is which anymore! Be nice to be able to say, "There I was on the veldt looking into the eye of mgombo at 20 yards. Silent, my gunbearer, handed me my Turk Mauser ($39.00) and I took a careful bead before sending the Buckshot 8mm boolit into his boiler room......." You can see how much more enjoyable that would be compared to, " ... before sending the 8mm boolit whose designer I forget, and where I got it I forget, and where you might find one like it I forget....." You get my drift. It gets worse with the 6.5's 'cuz some guys like Jumptrap and Oldfeller and Buckshot have to have multiple designs to their credit. Stamp the moulds or etch them. It will pay off.

waksupi
08-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Bret, you're right there. i don't have that many, but the ID is difficult at times.

BruceB
08-13-2005, 09:26 PM
One of the cheap electric vibrating engravers works well for this. In the Lee less-than-six-cavity moulds, with permanently-attached handles, I use the engraver to put BIG numbers on the handle, and then darken the "engraving" with a black felt marker.

Some examples "338-220", "6.5 O.F." , "44-310". This makes it extremely easy to pick out the one I want from fifteen or twenty of 'em in a row.

It would be equally simple to put such an identifier on the 6-cav blocks with the "electric pencil", except for the marker, of course..

Lee's practice of just stamping a stock number on the moulds is a total pain in the ass.

porkchop bob
08-13-2005, 10:45 PM
One of the cheap electric vibrating engravers works well for this. In the Lee less-than-six-cavity moulds, with permanently-attached handles, I use the engraver to put BIG numbers on the handle, and then darken the "engraving" with a black felt marker.

Some examples "338-220", "6.5 O.F." , "44-310". This makes it extremely easy to pick out the one I want from fifteen or twenty of 'em in a row.

It would be equally simple to put such an identifier on the 6-cav blocks with the "electric pencil", except for the marker, of course..

Lee's practice of just stamping a stock number on the moulds is a total pain in the ass.

I suggest we ask Lee how much extra they would change to stamp the mold '338-220' or so forth. I am guessing there will be a limit to the length of the stamp, say 10 or less digits, letters, dash or spaces.

Bob

Slowpoke
08-13-2005, 11:12 PM
I imagine just keeping the mould in its original box and marking the box would be to low-tech for this crew or would that be High tech? : ) Anyway that's what I do, done and did.

Scrounger
08-13-2005, 11:24 PM
I imagine just keeping the mould in its original box and marking the box would be to low-tech for this crew or would that be High tech? : ) Anyway that's what I do, done and did.

Yeah, Slowpoke, the cardinal rule for some here is to make everything more complicated than it need be. Your way is simple, easy, and adequate. No problem as long as box and mold don't get separated. There must be some kind of hi-temp marker we could use to simply write the designation on the mold... And there is. I just found this place:

http://www.durablesupply.com/higtemacmar4.html

drinks
08-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Slowpoke;
I must be really low tech, too, I only have one mold out at a time, always put it back in the box, and have a copy of the Lee catalog with the Lee numbers printed on it, really too simple.
Don ;D

Buckshot
08-14-2005, 07:01 AM
............I just write what they are on the end of the box. I thought everyone did that :D?

Bret, I liked your story anyway!

"As I reached backwards to my gunbearer for the reload, keeping my eyes on the wounded buff that was trying to get up, he handed me a beer. Force of habit I guess. Since it was there I took a swig and handed it back, as I hate wasted motion.

Wiggling my fingers franticly trying to convey my impatience in getting my 472 Sholdergemasher back, my eyes slid from the Buff who had regained his feet, and was slinging slobber all over as he shook his massive head. I was surveying my immeduate surroundings for a suitable tree to scale, should my trusty bearer not deliver the aforementioned firearm in time.

It was at this point that I realized my all natural dandelion oil anti insect repellant deoderant had quit, and my Cabelas brushed Egyptian cotton 10 pocket safari shorts were giving me a wedgie. Damn those suspenders, anyway!

My franticly wiggling fingers were getting no reaction, and the bull was now pawing the dry dusty ground into shimmering clouds of tawny dust in the lowering afternoon sun. I knew he was getting ready to charge me as his main antagonist. I hoped the photographer was getting some good shots for the magazine as I stood there defensless with a wedgie and clouds of vicious blood sucking flying tankers circling my head.

I realized, as stinging sweat rolled into my eyes behind my fashinable advertiser supplied full wrap around UV resistant sunglasses, that my faithfull gunbearer was probably frozen in ultimate fear of his life. And why not? We were both in danger of having the **** stampeded out of us any second!

I decided in that flicker of a second that I must take a look behind me, as it would also make a good shot for page 2 of the new rifle story for the magazine who was paying for the trip. I glanced behind me in time to see the guide behind the wheel of the Land Rover franticly trying to insert the key. The 2 bearers were already seated, as the hairdresser and cook scrambled aboard, waving their hands wildly about their heads. My gunbearer made a flying leap into the back right on top of the photographer (it was a big Land Rover).

There on the ground behind me in the dust was the 472! I turned and made a grab for the rifle while pawing at the 3 very photographic cartridges in thier brest pocket elastic holders. I was glad my boy had selected this LL Bean outback proffessional hunter's light jacket for me.

It's pale green contrasted nicely with the shorts, and the double bellows back panels which allowed for free movement, would come in handy. I needed plenty of free movement! Plus the polyethelene lining was just the ticket for wicking away moisture.

I took off like a stripped ass ape with an enraged buffalo after him. And with said enraged buffalo within tailgating distance. I was glad to be wearing the new African Veld certified, safari guide grade custom cushion insole, flow through ventilated, Sierra Club endorsed tread lightly action thornproof lowtop hunter's boots. I managed to fumble the 3 massive cartidges into the rifles magazine.

As a proffessional gunwriter and hunter I usually don't pay much attention to such things, as I have people who to do that. But in this case, it came in handy. I guess I have a knack? I cranked off the 3 rounds as rapidly as I could, but with little effect. I managed to take out the right tail light, the rearview mirror and put one dead center of the beer cooler.

As I passed I saw the guide was franticly trying to shift into 4th gear. I hurled invectives and to convey my displeasure with their cowardice I kicked the right front tire as I pulled into the lead.

These magazine subscribers just have no idea of the things us pros go through!

..............Buckshot

BruceB
08-14-2005, 07:30 AM
".... the cardinal rule for some here is to make everything more complicated than it need be."

***? A question was asked, and I answered it with the way I do it.

The WAY I do it is permanent, highly visible, costs nothing, takes about a minute, and is NOT dependent on a flimsy box "as long as the box and mold don't get separated."

"Some here" try to be helpful, within our limitations. Nobody said it has to be done in any particular way, and having a variety of routes to the same destination is not a bad thing.

BruceB

Bret4207
08-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Do as you please. I store all my moulds in 20mm ammo cans, sans the cheap cardbord boxes for the Lees. Rust doncha know. Thus, my dilema.

drinks
08-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Buckshot, how many gun rags do you ghost write for?
I seem to recall that story several times in the years, last couple of times was in AR.
Don;D

NVcurmudgeon
08-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Buckshot, You have managed to brilliantly satirize most of today's crop of gun writers all at once. I won't mention any names. The last time I mentioned one of the inkslinging fraternity, I was savaged at tedious length, for several days, by a geezer member of the brotherhood on a website that is called 1440 minute campsite, or something like that. You should enter the annual Hemingway writing contest, you would be a sure winner!

NVcurmudgeon
08-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Bwana Mkubwa Buckshotty, I just printed out your African adventure and passed it over to the Memsahib. Her laughter reminded me of the hyenas lurking just beyond the boma whilst we were enjoying our sundowners at the bottom of the Ngorongoro crater.

Buckshot
08-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Bwana Mkubwa Buckshotty, I just printed out your African adventure and passed it over to the Memsahib. Her laughter reminded me of the hyenas lurking just beyond the boma whilst we were enjoying our sundowners at the bottom of the Ngorongoro crater.

............Curmudgeon. Thank you. I was moved by Tpr Bret who was just getting warmed up when he quit.

..........Drinks, heck I writes'em just like they happen. You bet!

...........Buckshot