PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 66A Sight

ColColt
06-04-2013, 06:52 PM
I bought this sight to go on my Legendary Frontiersmen 38-55 and wondered if I shouldn't apply some Loctite Blue to the threads before installing. I can foresee them backing out otherwise but have no proof they will. Anyone have this or a similar Williams sight that the screws have backed out? Seems to me if you add Loctite to scope mounts you'd need it for receiver sight screws as well.

Mk42gunner
06-04-2013, 09:32 PM
A small amount wouldn't hurt; but as long as the threads are clean and the screws tightened appropriately, I don't think it is really necessary.

There is a lot less weight and leverage on the screws on a receiver sight than on a scope base. I have never seen a loose receiver sight, can't say that about scope bases though.

Robert

Scharfschuetze
06-05-2013, 12:48 AM
I think that if you degrese the the threads on the screws and in the receiver, you'll be OK. I don't remember ever using Locktite on any of my 48 or 66A sights.

By the way, I just received a 66A and a couple of extra tall blade front sights from Midway. I'll get my 64 Winchester sighted in with the new 66A and a blade front sight as soon as I get some boolits cast for it.

A few notes for you on the Lyman sights.

1. One click equals 1/4 MOA on average. Sight radius is the determining factor in your exact deflection per click
2. One turret rotation equals 3 MOA and thus 12 clicks per revolution
3. One mark on the elevation and windage scales equals 3 MOA or one rotation of the turrets
4. The range scale and deflection scale have a set screw.
5. Once you zero your rifle, loosen the screw and slip the scale so that it reads "0" at the witness line
6. You can also slip the turrets to read "0", but I don't bother with that as my zeros seem to change a little bit from day to day depending on light, temperature and how much coffee I drink
7. The longer your sight radius, the finer the adjustments will be and conversely, a short barrel will exaggerate each adjustment.
8. Once zeroed and with the sight reading "0" you can then quickly adjust for wind and range and then return to your base zero. If you want the math behind this, let me know
9. You can also use the push button on the base of the 66A for fast range adjustments. Your MOA elevation scale is of value here. If your rifle drops 6 MOA from 100 to 300 yards, push the button and lift the sight bar 2 range lines or 6 MOA.

Older Lyman sights from before our time have 4 MOA turrets.

outdoorfan
06-05-2013, 01:20 AM
I think that if you degrese the the threads on the screws and in the receiver, you'll be OK. I don't remember ever using Locktite on any of my 48 or 66A sights.

By the way, I just received a 66A and a couple of extra tall blade front sights from Midway. I'll get my 64 Winchester sighted in with the new 66A and a blade front sight as soon as I get some boolits cast for it.

A few notes for you on the Lyman sights.

1. One click equals 1/4 MOA on average. Sight radius is the determining factor in your exact deflection per click
2. One turret rotation equals 3 MOA and thus 12 clicks per revolution
3. One mark on the elevation and windage scales equals 3 MOA or one rotation of the turrets
4. The range scale and deflection scale have a set screw.
5. Once you zero your rifle, loosen the screw and slip the scale so that it reads "0" at the witness line
6. You can also slip the turrets to read "0", but I don't bother with that as my zeros seem to change a little bit from day to day depending on light, temperature and how much coffee I drink
7. The longer your sight radius, the finer the adjustments will be and conversely, a short barrel will exaggerate each adjustment.
8. Once zeroed and with the sight reading "0" you can then quickly adjust for wind and range and then return to your base zero. If you want the math behind this, let me know
9. You can also use the push button on the base of the 66A for fast range adjustments. Your MOA elevation scale is of value here. If your rifle drops 6 MOA from 100 to 300 yards, push the button and lift the sight bar 2 range lines or 6 MOA.

Older Lyman sights from before our time have 4 MOA turrets.

Good to know, as I will be getting my Rossi D&Ted tomorrow for this same sight. And then I get to learn how to use it.

gnoahhh
06-05-2013, 10:20 AM
I have never used Loctite on the dozens of receiver sights I have installed over the years. Never had one come loose, either. Heck, I rarely ever used it for scope mount screws either, come to think of it. The trick is to use a perfectly fitted screwdriver blade on a relatively long handled screw driver that will allow maximum torque, without buggering the screw slot.

ColColt
06-05-2013, 10:28 AM
I'll probably mount it sans the Loctite. When installing scope mounts in the past I've always used Loctite but, a side mounted receiver like this wouldn't receive the recoil a top mounted scope would, I wouldn't think. I'll soon find out.

Scharfschuetzer-thanks for those tidbits of info.