PDA

View Full Version : Nice surprise at the range.

jimb16
06-04-2013, 06:51 PM
I took my Rem 700 BDL to the range today for a fun shoot. I had a bunch of rounds that I was figuring on just blasting with. The boolits were undersized, so I wasn't expecting any accuracy to speak of.....WOW! The rifle is a .222 Rem. with a bull barrel. The rounds were mixed brass with a .225415CP boolit cast moderately hard and water quenched. Powder was Red Dot with a tuft of Dacron filler to hold the light charge in place. I don't even remember what the charge was since I was just shooting up some leftover undersized boolits. At 50 yards, I had a 20 round group well under an inch! The first shot was a fouling shot which was outside the group by just over 1/2 inch. I was blasting 1 inch chunks of clay birds on the backstop at a distance of 110 yards hitting them nearly every shot! I expect that kind of accuracy out of this rifle with j-words (typical 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards), but I never expected to get the same with those tiny little cast pills. I would have been happy with 2 inch groups. Now my real question is, did I just experience a serendipitous event or should I try to improve on it!

Vinne
06-04-2013, 07:31 PM
I'd say you're on the mark. Don't change a thing. Load the same and try it again. If you do about as good, then I'd say you got it together. One problem now...if you don't hit anything at your next hunt, you won't be able to blame the gun!!

jimb16
06-04-2013, 07:42 PM
I never blame the gun or the ammo, the wind, yes, the weather, yes, the cat sneezed, yes, the bird chirped, yes....the list goes on and on and on....

JeffinNZ
06-05-2013, 12:05 AM
That's a great wee boolit. Lovely small game stopper.