PDA

View Full Version : I am proud to be a senior citizen

Bad Water Bill
06-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Senior citizens are constantly being criticized for every conceivable deficiency of the modern world, real or imaginary. We know we take responsibility for all we have done
and do not try to blame others.

HOWEVER, upon reflection, we would like to point out that
it was NOT senior citizens who took:

The melody out of music,

The pride out of appearance,

The courtesy out of driving,

The romance out of love,

The commitment out of marriage,

The responsibility out of parenthood,

The togetherness out of the family,

The learning out of education

The service out of patriotism,

The Golden Rule from rulers,

The nativity scene out of cities,

The civility out of behavior,

The refinement out of language,

The dedication out of employment,

The prudence out of spending,

The ambition out of achievement or
God out of government and school.

And we certainly are NOT the ones who
eliminated patience and tolerance from
personal relationships and interactions with
others!!

And, we DO understand the meaning of
patriotism, and remember those who have
fought and died for our country.

Just look at the Seniors with tears in their eyes and pride in their hearts, as they stand at attention with their hand over their hearts, as the American Flag passes by in a parade!

YES, I'M A SENIOR CITIZEN!

I'm the life of the party.....
Even if it lasts until 8 p.m., for me 6 p.m.

I'm very good at opening childproof caps.....
With a hammer.

I'm awake many hours before
my body allows me to get up.

I'm smiling all the time,
because I can't hear a thing you're saying.

I'm sure everything I can't find is
in a safe secure place, somewhere.

I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy,
and that's just my left leg.

I'm beginning to realize that aging is not for wimps.

Yes, I'm a SENIOR CITIZEN
and I think I am having the time of my life!
Now if I could only remember who sent this to me, I wouldn't send it back to them.
Or, maybe I should send it to all my friends anyway.
They won't remember, even if they did send it.
Spread the laughter
Share the cheer
Let's be happy
While we're here.

MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA
AND MAY AMERICA
CONTINUE TO THANK GOD!!
Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

km101
06-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Well said Bill!! I wish I had thought of it. Or thought of ANYTHING these days! :)

TJF1
06-04-2013, 07:53 PM
You said it for all us seniors
thank you
terry

btroj
06-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Sorry guys but it is the senior citizens of today who created, bore, and raised the idiots who DID do all of that.

Just saying

I say this the day after hearing one of my techs get an earful from a senior citizen about how screwed we would be when his generation dies. This was because he brought in a prescription for a refill. The label said he had 2 refills left but when he got the new bottle he only had one. Ummm, maybe because we just refilled it?
He then told he he didn't want to get into a political discussion when she tried to explain it to her. Political discussion? About simple math?
Yeah, we are screwed.....

Hickory
06-05-2013, 07:39 AM
When my son called me "ol' man“ I told him:
"You live long enough, you'll get to be an old man too.":-D

41 mag fan
06-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Sorry guys but it is the senior citizens of today who created, bore, and raised the idiots who DID do all of that.

Just saying

I say this the day after hearing one of my techs get an earful from a senior citizen about how screwed we would be when his generation dies. This was because he brought in a prescription for a refill. The label said he had 2 refills left but when he got the new bottle he only had one. Ummm, maybe because we just refilled it?
He then told he he didn't want to get into a political discussion when she tried to explain it to her. Political discussion? About simple math?
Yeah, we are screwed.....

Good thought and quote Brad.....never thought of it till now, but it's the generation before that is the cause and effects of the generation after.

Ickisrulz
06-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Aren't the hippies from the 60's/70's senior citizens now? They sure had many positive effects on society...thanks.

shdwlkr
06-05-2013, 11:46 AM
You know I wasn't going to comment but....
Some of us seniors grew up in the 60's and 70's and yes we were aware of the hippie movement. But you failed to mention that a good number of us got to vacation in a small south east Asian country called Vietnam, came home to be called baby killers, have garbage thrown at us and spit on by the good folks back home here when we returned. Many went on to go to college and earn a degree and work for many years after, we married and taught our kids the value of freedom and when they went off to war( encase you have forgotten we are still at war) we made dam sure they never got the reception we did when they came home. We married and tried to keep things together for many it was not to be. You see memories of lost buddies, firefights, loss of limb and feeling betrayed by those who were here or ran to Canada to avoid the draft seemed to feel we still could be beaten down. Clinton is a prefect example of a draft doggier and how has the worked for the country?
Yea we are the cause of all the ills of this country, forget the sell out of our rights started with FDR wasn't it? Yea we ran when our country called for us to go and for way to many to die on foreign soil because our country asked us too or if you prefer made us go, think draft here, did it really make a difference in the world? Yes it did ask anyone who lost someone in the era, the scars are there yet today. I lost a cousin in that mess and yes I still remember the loss.
The blame for this country and where we are falls on all shoulders not just the elderly, there is not one person in this country that has not made some dumb mistakes in life, some bigger than others, We go to the polls and pull the lever for the candidate we like and then that individual does what they want really and we have no recourse to force them into a vote for a show of confidence in the direction they are going and taking us as a people and a nation.

Yes you are right it is the elderly that have caused all the problems in this country. We didn't raise our kids to respect the flag, we didn't show them the right way to treat a lady, pay their bills, work, and raise a family. Yes you are right we failed because we followed what our parents did who raised us. Don't forget they were the greatest generation this nation has ever seen.

My dad wanted to go into the Army Airforce in WWII but was told he was more important here as an Agricultural Engineer. When I went into the military when Vietnam was the war going on my parents hated me for enlisting. When I came home dad saw how it had changed me and we talked and I told him I was so glad he didn't get to go in WWII as the kind loving parent I knew would not have been there to raise me a wild and argumentative son, show me how things really were and what I could do with my life that was positive and right. We got to know each other so much better as adults and I miss him dearly.

Me I have gone through a few marriages and lost kids along the way, have some that still want dad in their life and I am fighting so hard now to teach them that freedom isn't free, that the flag has value even when people do not, that we can still have a free nation if enough people really want to be free and lastly just how much dad loves them so very much. You must understand two of them are 6 and 7 years old the other is 21 and has lots of life issues and is the one dad goes to spend time with when I think things are tough for me. Yea we seniors are to blame for all the issues America has today.

I am working on a Mental Health degree so I can work with veterans, their families and really anyone who needs help. Yep I am part of the problem, you see it took me over 35 years to realize I need to pay back for still sucking air when so many can't.

nough said

sparky45
06-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Amen Shdwlkr, Amen...

Bad Water Bill
06-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Well said sir

Love Life
06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
It smells like old people in here. 8-)

As has been said, we NEED our senior citizens as things turn around in this country. As a matter of fact I think I'll call my Grandmother today and listen to stories. She graduated from the last class of a dedicated Girls school, and it only went to the 11th grade.

popper
06-05-2013, 12:42 PM
BWB - Good write up, speaks for the majority of our 'age'. Btrog - when you hear 'you drive like an old man', 'you're a drain on society', 'why can't you play catch with me?', you've arrived. Maybe the lady really needed that extra dose of ' being nice pills'. Did your tech make sure she had all her belongings when she left? Mankind has seen the good, bad and ugly since day 1, your attitude determines which you will be.

It smells like old people in here. Baby powder & wrinkle cream? Wish my GP & parents still were here.

km101
06-05-2013, 12:54 PM
"Sorry guys but it is the senior citizens of today who created, bore, and raised the idiots who DID do all of that."

Yep, that's true, as far as it goes. But we raised them to the best of our ability, tried to give them good values, teach them to respect the good thing in our country, and be good hard working, honest citizens!

Then they went out into a world where it seems that none of that mattered. It was all about success, making money, having the biggest house, the most expensive car, and damn how you get it. If you have to lie, cheat and steal to "succeed" then so be it. And some (far too many) succumbed to that kind of thinking, despite our best efforts. Some were wildly successful and became role models (albeit bad ones) for the others. These were praised and pandered to by the media which only made it worse. And the media and advertisers told them that they "deserved" success and all the good things in life. And again many believed it.

But this was not the way they were created, born, or raised. At least not the ones I know.

There is an old saying: "You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink." So don't lay the blame entirely on the senior citizens of this era. We led 'em to the water. If they chose not to imbibe, then all we can say is "We did our best! The rest is up to them."

pdawg_shooter
06-05-2013, 01:28 PM
I am tickled as hell to have made it to 62. There was a time when I was sure I would not see 19. People were shooting, mortaring, rocketing, bobby trapping and trying their best to kill me. When I got home I too was called a baby killer, war monger, and a lot worse. I learned real quick when a employer asked if you had served to say NO. Otherwise your chances of getting a job went way down. Yep, it was a fun time for sure (NOT).

popper
06-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Ok guys, time for psych 101. Some people want your stuff. They will use violence, laws, bad mouthing, whatever. That is what wars are about. Period. They are the politicians, crook, toss in most women and a handful of preachers. They are the aggressors. The rest of us are defenders. Jane Fonda, Berkley nuts (hippies), State Dept, educational system, gun grabbers, etc. are aggressors. They will always try to convince us that the defenders are the 'real' aggressors. Those who are convinced form the aggressor's army, off to conquer they go.
As for old people - remember - without them you youngsters wouldn't be here.

btroj
06-05-2013, 02:37 PM
My point is that every generation has made contributions. Did the parents in the 50s approve of the new music? Did they like it?

Change happens guys.

What I hate is the fact that many seniors lump all kids in together. To judge all 20 year olds today based upon the actions of the Occupy crowd of Justin Beiber is dumb and wrong. Do those who served in Vietnam want to be judge by their contemporaries? Maybe Jane Fonda?

Every generation makes contribution and makes mistakes. I don't expect my parent or my in-laws to understand everything my generation or my 20 year old daughter does. It is what it is.

Km101, I agree. Parents are doi the best they can even today. Not all kids are drug addled morons today.

My suggestion is for some of the older crowd to get out and have a meaningful discussion with the youth of today. Many of them are actively involved in hunting, shooting, and promotion of the Constitution. Don't sell them short.

Seniors today grew up in a very different world than kids grow up in today. Some is better, some is worse. Times change. The world changes. We can either adapt and survive or we can wallow in the past.

I am very proud of my 73 year old mother for getting a cell phone with a full keyboard a few years ago. She knew that was the way to stay in touch with her grand kids. They aren't gonna write a letter o make a call. They do respond to text messages and stay in touch. She adapted to the way kids communicate today.

popper
06-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Every generation makes contribution and makes mistakes No disagreement from me there. Well, dad didn't like my R&R but I enjoyed his Beethoven and Caruso. Normal response from all ages, not able to do what you want - negative frustration. See it in kids missing a soccer goal, missing a shot in sporting clays, old folks forgot where they put their keys or glasses or purse. Encourage, train and help others. BYW my kids & GK are rightfully involved in their lives and don't much listen to the old folks.
Pardon my rant about returning warriors. I wasn't in combat, I do know a lot that were, some that are. Maybe if you realize that Jane & crew are takers and just got their panties in a wad will lower your BP. You guys are givers. Thanks

Ickisrulz
06-05-2013, 06:26 PM
The OP was a blanket statement. That's what many of the subsequent posts challenged. There are good and bad in every generation and yesteryears' morals were certainly eroded little by little. I say the problems of the country can be blamed on the vocal minority with the silent majority being complicit (in every generation).

shdwlkr
06-05-2013, 06:40 PM
I know that many of the current young folks are great individuals in fact a group of them and I are going out in the desert to clean up the **** that many others felt was ok to leave there.
I also know a lot of young folks that wouldn't pick up a piece of wood to have heat if it meant they would freeze to death if they didn't. It is owed to them to be taken care of. yes they learned that in the liberal schooling they attended along with it is your job to educate your parents ( the liberal scum Al Bore) said that.
One other thing is if you get a chance talk to our new heroes from our current war. Yes they are proud and also know they have been damaged and need help. The problem is that there is so few places for them to get real help.
One last thing is the future of our nation is dependent on All of US wanting to remain free not the elderly, not the young, not the middle aged it is all or none in this fight.