PDA

View Full Version : Mounting A 45 Lyman

Teddy (punchie)
06-03-2013, 09:08 AM
I getting ready to mount a 45 lubersizer.

How heavy of a bench is needed?

Is it like mounting a rifle and pistol press, or more like a shotgun press?

I have a wooden table that I use for shotguns and powder measurers. That's were I would like to put it but not sure if the table will hold it.

Not much room on the metal table with 1/4 plate steel and I would like to save that space for a swage press later on.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-03-2013, 11:15 AM
you will be fine with a wood table top.
but if the table isn't stable, your table may move around.

Mine is mounted to a used, modified wooden dining room table...but I have it screwed to the wall with metal shelving brackets.
Good Luck,
Jon

Mk42gunner
06-03-2013, 02:57 PM
It doesn't take a lot of table to mount a lubrisizer on. I mounted my RCBS lubamatic on a short piece of 2x6, then I use two deck screws to hold it on my work bench when sizing. Works fine, lasts a long time.

Robert

RollingStone
06-03-2013, 03:05 PM
How much you're sizing down the bullet and how hard the bullet metal is determines the force needed but it will be a lot like resizing brass in a reloading press. I've mounted my Lyman 450 and my Rock Chucker to metal plates which I c clamp to my bench and can move or remove easily.

smokemjoe
06-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Put a washer or nickel under the long screw bolt, may have to enlett it some into the wood, your never have any troubles after that.

220swiftfn
06-04-2013, 02:23 AM
One thing to remember with the OLD LYMAN 45, is that if you're using enough force to be worried about the mounting, you're using enough force to snap the handle, handle bolt (pin) or counter arm......

Dan

bobkk
06-07-2013, 08:19 PM
I have mine bolted to a piece of wood. The wood is long enough for two c clamps. That way when I'm not using it I put it under the bench out of my way. Good way if you don't have a lot of working space.

imashooter2
06-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Lube sizers can take a lot of force in the upstroke as well as the down. Make sure your surface is stable in both directions.

theperfessor
06-08-2013, 01:28 AM
220swiftfn makes a good point. I like as rigid a mount as I can get for anything like this, it's less work on the operator if the machine doesn't rock and roll on you, but the 45 has a couple of mechanically weak areas. Fine machines, but not the strongest of sizers.

Jailer
06-09-2013, 11:08 AM
I have mine bolted to a piece of wood. The wood is long enough for two c clamps. That way when I'm not using it I put it under the bench out of my way. Good way if you don't have a lot of working space.

Same here. Mines screwed down to a 1 inch thick piece of Birch and gets clamped to my desk when I want to size. I throw a movie in the computer and sit and size while watching a movie.

max range
06-09-2013, 11:27 AM
I mounted my Lyman 45 like bobkk suggested only I mounted it to a block of aluminum that I previously used as a heat sink for a laptop. I use a strong "C" clamp to hold it to my bench then I place a cheap travel type clothes iron on it to warm everything up. I use the lowest setting on the iron and it make everything work better. The metal parts gently expand to the proper dimensions and the lube flows without undue force.
What everyone else said about the 45. If you have to force it, it will break something. So warm it up, and dont try to swage bullets with it. For example if you have .362, bullets and you want them to be .358 - run them through a .360 dry, then again through a .358 with the lube flowing.