PDA

View Full Version : lapua brass 7.62x39 !? why so costly..

badbob454
06-03-2013, 02:50 AM
i shoot winchester brass and wonder why some regard Lapua brass so highly , is it really that good , last i saw on swapping and selling it was 125.00$ for only 200 new brass thats over 50c each , am i cheap or what ??.... somebody straighten me out , and oh yeah norma brass too ........ what up ..

muskeg13
06-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Lapua is probably the best brass on the market, but being made in Finland, it's pricey. Same thing can be said for Norma brass made in Sweden. Unless you demand match grade accuracy, you should use something else. When looking to shrink group sizes in my 6.5x55 for hunter class benchrest shooting, going to Lapua brass cut group sizes in half...but for normal 7.62x39 plinking? ...overpriced overkill

HighHook
06-03-2013, 05:31 AM
Seems like all the brass in that cal is very pricy in these times.

badbob454
06-03-2013, 06:53 PM
thanks for the replys i have some new lapua ammo @ 100 pcs guess ill shoot it and sell the brass , or is the loaded stuff good too ...i have to say i just inspect the cases dont look for an out of square mouths all i know is its real good shooting stuff considering its a russian rifle . it shoots @ 1-3inch groups with hand loads

Bigslug
06-03-2013, 08:25 PM
When Pops and I were heavy into Highpower competition, we did a lot of brass prep - primer pocket uniforming, flash-hole deburring, sorting cases by weight, even a brief stint of neck-turning. With the Lapua stuff, you pretty much don't have to - it's EXTREMELY consistent. Norma's in the same boat.

That said, I don't think I'd drop that kind of coin on 7.62x39 brass unless I was using it to form 6mm PPC cases for a benchrest gun.

1Shirt
06-03-2013, 08:59 PM
It is excellent quality, and they can obviously get what they ask for it or they would be out of business.
1Shirt!

44man
06-04-2013, 10:01 AM
More attention to detail, more inspections and more brass testing. It adds to price.

Smokepole50
06-04-2013, 05:12 PM
I would not buy it to shoot in a semi-auto but it is worth every penny in a bolt action if you are a reloader. The brass part of the accuracy equation is eliminated and the cases last long as well.

Mike Kerr
06-04-2013, 10:40 PM
This question comes up about once a year or so. Certainly Norma, and Lapua have more consistency in their brass. There are those who have jumped down my throat in the past because I don't lavish enough praise on either. I personally have several unused cases of Lapua (in 6.5x55) that I never finished bumping back the shoulder on for initial set up. Some day I will but I just got tired of messing with it. Heck if I ever get where I can hit a nat's A-- at 100 yards I may be glad I have it.

Garyshome
11-10-2013, 12:37 AM
hit a nat's A-- at 100 yards. Thats some pretty good brass!

Ole
11-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Keep in mind .22 PPC and 6mm PPC can both be formed from 7.62x39 brass.

That might explain why some are willing to pay a premium.

Fishman
11-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Keep in mind .22 PPC and 6mm PPC can both be formed from 7.62x39 brass.

That might explain why some are willing to pay a premium.

And 6.5 Grendel I believe.

btroj
11-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Why? Because it is worth it. When extreme accuracy is needed Lapua is the brass to use.

armoredman
11-13-2013, 01:36 PM
I have never spent the coin on Lapua or Norma 7.62x39mm brass - ain't worth it, to me. The cartridge has a lot more accuracy potential than many think, but I can't afford to buy hugely overpriced components - I started casting to save money, after all. ;) Most rifles/carbines that shoot this caliber aren't accurate enough to justify the money on that "caliber" of brass, either, with the notable exception of the CZ 527M carbine. ;) Winchester brass IS badly deformed when I get a baggie of it in, and yes, every one needs to be re-sized and trimmed. I don't mind. I also have Winchester 7.62x39mm brass that have so many ejector marks on the rim that it's almost impossible to tell how many times they've been fired.
Fiocchi, now there's a PITA brass...undersized primer pockets and all...

fredj338
11-13-2013, 08:30 PM
All Lapua brass is more expensive than home grown. Part of it is the exchange rate, part is the extra steps in the process. They come properly annealed, the flash holes are swaged & not drilled, close perfect out of the brass. I certainly wouldn't bother with loading it for use in an AK. My ranking on rifle brass, used them all in one caliber or another:
Lapua
RWS
Norma
Nosler
Hornady
Win
Rem
Fed

CastingFool
11-13-2013, 08:56 PM
No one mentioned my favorite brand of junk brass. PMC. Bought some supposedly once fired Remington 45 acp, when I received them there were about 50-75 pmc cases in the lot. Flash holes were off center on most of them, it was a real pain to deprime, so they all went into the scrap pile. Won't ever buy any pmc brass.

cainttype
11-13-2013, 09:01 PM
You don't generally stay in business if your product is over-priced. To be honest, the civilian market for both Lapua and Norma is in the United States...Very few Europeans even have access to firearms, let alone reloading equipment.
If your firearm requires the best components to achieve the desired results, Lapua and Norma will be on your short list. If you can satisfy your requirements with less expensive alternatives, you are normal and doing fine.
Hopefully both the high-end and moderately priced options will have strong enough customer support to stay around indefinitely... Lord knows, their demise would be another sad nail in the coffin of the shooting community.

dtknowles
11-13-2013, 11:30 PM
I got some Lapua .220 Russian brass that was formed into 6mm PPC when I bought a used benchrest rifle. I can't really shoot well enough to be sure that it shoots better than my 6mm PPC cases made from carefully prepped small primer RP 7.62x39 brass. They both shoot under a quarter MOA and at that level I am clearly the weak link in the chain.

Tim

Garyshome
11-14-2013, 12:10 AM
I picked up some the other day for a good price. Guess I'll have to git on loadin' it soon.

Ole
11-14-2013, 12:14 AM
I wish Wideners would get that IMI 7.62x39 brass back in they had a few years ago. That stuff was $.18 each in bulk. :mrgreen:

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-14-2013, 11:34 AM
PMC= Pretty Much Cr*p

I bought 100 pack of Lapua for my 223 when it was finished.
Seems expensive, but consider that almost all of the case prep is done for you from the factory.
It isn't so bad.

acoop101
11-09-2016, 11:14 PM
There are a bunch of extremely accurate bench rest cartridges that are based in the 7.62*39 case so that is where extremely high quality brass for this cartridge comes into play, but unless you have a ton of money to burn to shoot it in an auto probably isn't worth it.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Gunor
11-10-2016, 12:25 AM
So I came into some Lapua and Sako - 7.62x39. Worth anything? Ammo that is loaded.....

EDG
11-10-2016, 12:42 AM
Much of the cost of Lapua and other Scandinavian shooting products is a reflection of the high tax rates within their economy.
I am sure the brass is good but much of the cost is tax related rather than cost of goods sold.
Ask anyone in Europe about the cost of American products brought into their country. You will find the taxes are often more than half of the cost they pay.

knewmans
11-10-2016, 10:17 AM
You don't generally stay in business if your product is over-priced. To be honest, the civilian market for both Lapua and Norma is in the United States...Very few Europeans even have access to firearms, let alone reloading equipment.

When this is prime time TV locally there is a place for the cost of quality.

http://tinyurl.com/hkr9m3p
http://tinyurl.com/zwhw48c

Digital Dan
11-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Never met a 7.62x39 that could hit me. Wouldn't waste money on expensive brass.

Reverend Al
11-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Sure glad I bought my 1,100 or so rounds of Lapua 7.62x39 brass about 25 years ago ... it wasn't quite so expensive back then!

[smilie=w: