PDA

View Full Version : Replacing your lost dd214

Bad Water Bill
06-02-2013, 09:22 AM
I posted this info a wile back but the membership has probably doubled since then so here you go again

Current Information Regarding DD-214's

Please pass on to other vets. It's official: DD-214 discharge papers are

NOW ONLINE. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has
provided the following website for veterans to gain access to
their DD-214s online:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy
of his/her DD-214 for employment purposes. NPRC is working
to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet
access to obtain copies of documents from their military files.

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military
members may now use a new online military personnel records
system to request documents.

Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete
the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the
online web site. Because the requester will be asked to supply
all information essential for NPRC to process the request,
delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans
for additional information will be minimized. The new web-based
application was designed to provide better service on these
requests by eliminating the records centers mailroom and
processing time.

Please pass this information on to former military personnel you
may know and their dependents.

DeanoBeanCounter
06-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks, I needed that!

SteveUSP
06-02-2013, 10:12 AM
You can also put your DD214 on file with the county clerk (in TX at least), then get certified copies for free on request. Of course that is if you haven't already lost it.

Boerrancher
06-02-2013, 10:19 AM
You can also put your DD214 on file with the county clerk (in TX at least), then get certified copies for free on request. Of course that is if you haven't already lost it.

We have that here in MO as well. Less than a week after I was discharged I did this. I have had too many records lost by the Military over the years, and have always tried to find ways to secure them through other avenues. I learned the hard way after having to take my full vaccinations over two times because the Army lost my medical records.

I would suggest that anyone who has not registered their DD214 with the county and has the ability to do so, do it as soon as possible, and get a couple of copies to store in a secure location. It is probably one of the single most important documents that you will ever possess.

Best wishes,

Joe

Blammer
06-02-2013, 10:28 AM
thanks, too bad the print option doesn't work for me and then it wanted me to start all over again.

then of course all the messages about NOT filling out multiple copies will slow things down, now I have no choice but to do it again...

I should have known, nothing the gov does is going to be completely correct and working.

kmoomoo1
06-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Great link. Just sent off for a copy for my records. Thanks!

Alstep
06-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks BWB. I passed this on to other vets.

06-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I requested and received my records, about five years ago. It was fun to see the chronology, orders, etc., and it brought back some lost memories and the names of long forgotten friends. Also included were medals and ribbons.

I request my father's records, too, but a '60s warehouse fire destroyed them.

SciFiJim
06-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Worked for my. I had to switch web browsers to Internet Explorer to get it to work though. I keep a copy of it on my computer for just such occasions.

Even if you don't think you need another copy of your DD214, go ahead and order one anyway.

It is better to request it when you are not in immediate need than to try to get it when the need is great.

Dale in Louisiana
06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
You gotta wonder at what sort of gamma-minus intellect decided that the site would only work with Internet Explorer. I use a Mac. No Internet Explorer here. And over HALF of the online world does NOT use Explorer. Even on my company machine running Windoze, I run FireFox.

One thing about it though. It's the gummint, so I didn't expect much, therefore I was not too disappointed.

dale in Louisiana

quilbilly
06-02-2013, 12:43 PM
You should always have at least 3 good copies in a safe deposit box.

srtolly
06-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks for this info. I lost mine 25 years ago when I divorced my first wife.

nicholst55
06-02-2013, 02:07 PM
You gotta wonder at what sort of gamma-minus intellect decided that the site would only work with Internet Explorer. I use a Mac. No Internet Explorer here. And over HALF of the online world does NOT use Explorer. Even on my company machine running Windoze, I run FireFox.

One thing about it though. It's the gummint, so I didn't expect much, therefore I was not too disappointed.

dale in Louisiana

Internet Explorer has been THE OFFICIAL USG web browser for many, many years. They just fairly recently began allowing the use of Firefox on some USG websites. Figure like this - once everyone else in the world has abandoned a program, operating system, etc., the USG adopts it. Now that everyone in Windows-world either has made or is making the switch to Windows 8, the USG is adopting Windows 7 (we're still using Vista!). We just got IE9 a few weeks ago!

km101
06-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Bill!! This is easier than getting copies from the County Clerk!

SteveUSP: The county clerk in my county must have missed the FREE part! They charge for certified copies! :(

khmer6
06-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Internet Explorer is the "standard" not the favorite of many people. But many Web apps run better in IE. Most applications are ran from an app pool on an IIS server. Hopefully a full implementation of HTML 5 will change the way we do business

Duckiller
06-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Social Security did not accept a copy from a county recorder. Had to get a copy fron National records. Don't know how they will react to an internet copy.

SteveUSP
06-02-2013, 02:49 PM
It was about 10 years ago that Collin County told me that copies were free, but I never asked for any. I guess they gotta make a buck when they can.

captaint
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
When I got out, the Army recommended we go to our local county offices and copy and register, with raised stamp, and get them to keep a copy in county records. I did that, but haven't lost mine, so who knows if I could still get it there, if needed. Mike

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2013, 03:24 PM
I did the same. Just take it to your county clerk and have them register it and you can get a copy anytime

SciFiJim
06-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Social Security did not accept a copy from a county recorder. Had to get a copy fron National records. Don't know how they will react to an internet copy.

Only the request is on the internet. I also had to print, sign, and fax a signature page. They will mail you the copy.

TheDoctor
06-02-2013, 06:01 PM
When I got my first DD 214, we were advised to NOT, repeat, NOT register it with the county office. If you do, it is a PUBLIC document, and anyone can get a copy of it. What they could then do with it, well, use your imagination. Things may be a little different now regarding document copies, but even when I got my latest one last year, we were advised not to register them.

Bzcraig
06-02-2013, 06:27 PM
I got several copies years ago to hang onto but online access is awesome, getting records has always been a pita.

Thanks for the post Bill!

jcwit
06-02-2013, 06:37 PM
When I got out in 1973 I was told to register my records "DD214" at the county courthouse. I did within 3 days after returning home. Glad I did.

ddaniel1
06-02-2013, 09:26 PM
When I got out in 1973 I was told to register my records "DD214" at the county courthouse. I did within 3 days after returning home. Glad I did.

Yes, until recently they used to recommend this, as the doctor mentioned, once filed it is a public document and can be used for identity theft. When I retired in 2010 they recommended against filing with the county clerk.

Ed Barrett
06-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Thanks, I lost mine about two moves ago.

RoyEllis
06-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the info Bill! Read this & decided to look for mine (hadn't seen it in about 40yrs lol) since I didn't have any luck finding my original I've filled out to get a new copy. Now if I can just put it where I'll remember where it is......[smilie=b:

Bad Water Bill
06-03-2013, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the info Bill! Read this & decided to look for mine (hadn't seen it in about 40yrs lol) since I didn't have any luck finding my original I've filled out to get a new copy. Now if I can just put it where I'll remember where it is......[smilie=b:

Give the new one to your wife. Wives never forget Particularly where it concerns rubbing salt in.

Once she rubs the salt in she also knows what will happen if SHE should loose or forget where it is.:evil:

Lloyd Smale
06-03-2013, 05:49 AM
not much chance of identity theives working in the munising county court house.