PDA

View Full Version : Score!!

Lizard333
06-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Went to garage sale this morning and score the powders at a garage sale cheap. I'm wondering just how old this powder might be. The blue dot I use today is made by Alliant. This blue dot is made by Hercules. I'm happy all the same. There's no smell with the powder and zero indication of it passing its due date. All good and black, no oxidizing or acrid smell.

What do you think?

littlejack
06-01-2013, 11:52 PM
L333:
I think, that if it doesn't look deteriorated, and doesn't smell deteriorated, it should be just fine. Great score.
Jack

JeffinNZ
06-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Oh that is the second BEST price for powder. Free is great but cheap is good.

johntkd
06-02-2013, 01:45 AM
I still have some old Blue dot around in the herc container its fine and some stores still had the herc powder brand about 9 years ago i know for sure.I still have about 12 loads worth of red dot that was the very first powder I ever bought at gell sproting goods in warren Michigan for 9.95 over 35 years ago lol and it has no foul smell, so looks like you "scored"

Fishman
06-02-2013, 08:17 AM
In my very limited experience, backed by some information on the web, newer Blue Dot is a faster powder than the old formulation by Hercules. I found this out by using older blue dot data with newer powder and got flattened and cratered primers in .357. Previous loads had been fine. Always work up to your load when loading a new lot of powder :)

imashooter2
06-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Those Hercules cans are from the late 70s through the 80s. Congratulations on the find!

lka
06-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Haha I have the same Hercules bottle I got from my G-Pa

I got a bunch of powder from my dad that was my grandpas powder from many many years ago (he passed about 30 years ago) it was always stored in my fathers garage when I was growing up us kids would get into it every now and then. Anyways I have loaded with it Recently and have had no issues, I'll post some picks of the stuff later the old cans are cool. I would just work your loads up and you should be fine....

imashooter2
06-02-2013, 10:46 AM
it was always stored in my fathers garage when I was growing up us kids would get into it every now and then.

LOL! My Father had to put his powder behind a lock after his boys discovered cannon fuse. It would keep evaporating between loading sessions. [smilie=1: