PDA

View Full Version : Lee collet set = groups cut almost in half.

Depreacher
08-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Hello gang, Just got in from the range. Only took 33 rounds. 8x57 K98 sporter, 3x9 Simmons. 19.5 gr. 4759, CCI 250, 170 gr. Lee. Those of you kind enough to read my rants and raves know I normally put up with 2" to 3" (and some 3 1/2") groups in this rifle. I have blamed it on everything from slave labor manufacturing to the coriolis force. I wanted to try a Lee collet neck sizer, but the only way Midway had it was as a set. This was good luck, not bad luck. The Lee works slick as can be, once you get to "feel" the bump as it closes. Used my standard load as above, then seated in what Lee calls a "dead length boolit seater". I chuckled to myself, but said, aw why not use it. First 5 rounds went into 2 1/4" since I wasn't careful about how the powder was positioned. Group was mostly vertical spread. Only 7/8" wide. Next I steeled my resolve to be consistent. Cartridge was held boolit down, then loaded horizontally in rifle on bags. Same amount (well close to) of bolt forward speed and snick snack was used. Nothing violent. Next 4 groups were 1 1/2" give or take 1/16" . Not bad!! Last group went 1 5/8". Then shot the round with the reamed out to .1043 flashole. It went in 1/4" from the OUTSIDE of the group. Shot 18 gr. 4759 in a 1942 Dominion case and it went in another 1/4" toward the center. Group still 1 5/8". My hat goes off to Richard Lee for a nicely finished die set that actually delivered better accuracy just as he said it would. What brand dies was I using before? Why they were made of the worlds finest materials, by the worlds finest craftsmen, using the finest precision modern methods, and you can ask your machinest friend to verify these claims. You guessed it. HA! Anyway, If I can ever stop the vertical stringing, the groups will approach 1" to 1 1/8". It can't match my Ruger 77/.243 with Sierras, but it sure is fun to try. cbp

drinks
08-13-2005, 12:53 PM
CBP;
I have to use a scope or receiver sight, with any v-v or v-post sight, I always have vertical stringing, just cannot keep the same amount of front sight sticking up.
Have you tried the Lyman 5/8x5/8 x1/4" dacron fluff wad on the powder?
It will take care of the position sensitivy problem.
You are doing much better.
Don

Timberlake
08-13-2005, 01:01 PM
I have Lee Collet Dies for all of my under .40 cal rifles. I don't buy many Lee products but consider the collet dies to be one of the best kept secrets around and use them exclusively in my HP's/w/jackets.. My Swift just loves it and the dogs hate it.

I've not tried them with any cast bullets but may be looking into it.

TL

Depreacher
08-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi Drinks, Me too. My eyes are slowly driving me toward scopes. Can still do fairly well with the FP receiver sight on this rifle. When in college, and on the rifle team (.22's, of course), I could shoot a stock SVW K98 mauser quite well, "V" sights and all. Still have that old rifle, so may drag it out some day. Thanks for the dacron advice, I just might try it since I am tiring of the loading ritual I went through today.

Johnch
08-13-2005, 07:37 PM
I will have to buy a set for the 303 if they make them

I use them on the Varmit guns with jacketed bullets

Johnch

Blackwater
08-13-2005, 09:16 PM
They do indeed make the Deluxe die set for the .303 Brit. I've got a set. Now if I can just get my sorry bass to USE the dang things! Got to cast some bullets in the new Lee mould, though.

JDL
08-15-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm sure you all know this, but there is a neat alteration to the collet dies that eliminates the need for M dies.
Take the die apart and, with a fired case notice how high the collet is on the case mouth. Grind the collet until about 1/16" of the case mouth goes beyond the end. When used the end of the case isn't sized and a boolit can be started without fear of shaving.-JDL

Willbird
08-15-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm sure Lee has sent a crack team of assasins to your house now to control that secret, because then people wouldnt buy that *** universal expander hehehehhe

Bill

Junior1942
08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
It's not nice to talk badly about the universal expander. I like mine.

KCSO
08-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I make my 303's from 30-40 brass and size after firing in the Le Collet dies. I am getting 10-15 reloads to a case as compared to 3-5 from W/W 303 Brass and standard dies.