PDA

View Full Version : Why do I do this ammo buying stuff ....

Ohio Rusty
06-01-2013, 03:22 PM
I must be addicted to ammo. I keep telling myself I'm not buying any more 7.62x39. i have a few boxes already that I probably won't shoot this year. I'm in Wally world on Wednesday and they have one 40 round box of Winchester 7.62x39 FMJ's. I tell myself I'm not buying them .... even thought I rarely see any good reloadable brass cased 7.62x39. My mind calculates that price is about $10 cheaper than midway and no shipping costs. So I leave empty handed.

Thursday I'm back in that Wally World and that box is still there ...... Sigh ... I stood there and stared at the ammo behind the glass for what seemed like an eternity ...like it was calling me to take it home. So I bought the dang thing. I don't need any and I bought it ... Sheesh .... It's like a chocolate lover unable to pass a candy place.
Why do I do such things. Fortunately ...the shelf there is empty of ammo so the temptation is gone. That is the first box of usable ammo besides 30-06 at that wallyworld I have seen in 4 or 5 months.
There is only one thing I cannot resist and that is temptation. I'm not buying anymore 7.62x39 !!!!
Ohio Rusty ><>

Bloodman14
06-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Boy, you'd better get it while you can, when you can!

dtknowles
06-01-2013, 08:47 PM
I know the feeling. It is funny, I was a Walmart a month ago and they had a few boxes of 7.62x39 in the case. I was tempted but not as much maybe because I have 5 or 6 hundred rounds on my shelf and components to reload more. I left it for someone else and it was gone the next time I was there. They also had .243 Win and that is still there but I have not bought any as I have plenty of components to reload that as well. I always go by the ammo case just to see what is there. I could use some .22 RF but the shelves are bare of that and pistol ammo.

prsman23
06-01-2013, 08:48 PM
If you bought 3 boxes that you didn't need it's different. Then you would have taken something that someone *might* have needed. But one box that sat there. No big deal. I do it occasionally too. We should start our own version of aa. Aba? Sounds a bit Swedish tho.

TXGunNut
06-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I've had the same affliction over the years. I'd buy a brick of .22, a couple boxes of .30-30 or a double handful of .223 just because it was cheap or in the case of .22 and .30-30 I couldn't recall if I had any on hand. I haven't had those urges recently but when shelves start filling up and prices return to normal I may have a relapse.

merlin101
06-01-2013, 11:34 PM
I do the same, but a week or two ago I saw some 7.62x39 and bought 3 boxes of em and I don't even shoot that! But I gotta admit a friend does and he sure was pleased when I gave it to him.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-01-2013, 11:43 PM
ford it!

Slam'n Salmon
06-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Well 30-06 is at the LGS and I think I'll buy a few boxes while I can

smokemjoe
06-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Its hard to walk away from something like that, I see bowling balls in the goodwill stores for$0.95
I got a mortar to shoot them in but got 70 of them now.

Blacksmith
06-02-2013, 12:42 AM
They have proposed a law in California and New Jersey to license ammunition buyers. They would have to pay a fee and have a background check just to purchase ammo or components. Get it while you still can.

California
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-talk-back-california-gun-control-20130530,0,3187077.story

New Jersey
http://www.politickernj.com/65972/senate-approves-centerpiece-comprehensive-gun-safety-plan

dtknowles
06-02-2013, 01:24 AM
If you only have a few boxes (not cases) ... You should be buying! I have a "few" cases ... Of surplus 7.62X39 ... But it is berdan primed ... Plus "some" Wolf SP ... Just got 500 boxer primed brass a month ago for shooting lead! To add to my "small" supply I had before ... ;)

One of these days it may be restricted or taxed so high you can't afford it!

It is that attitude that is driving the current shortage and high prices. If one day it is restricted or taxed so high I can't afford it, buying three boxes today won't have mattered. If I prowl around and buy everything I can find to build a giant stash, I am part of the problem. I am not going down that path.

Tim

khmer6
06-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Its hard to walk away from something like that, I see bowling balls in the goodwill stores for$0.95
I got a mortar to shoot them in but got 70 of them now.

Are you serious? They are that cheap? I really need to go to goodwill

TXGunNut
06-02-2013, 01:47 AM
Are you serious? They are that cheap? I really need to go to goodwill

Yes, you do. I donate clothing and other items when I can. I cruise the shelves now and then and pick up some awesome books.

WILCO
06-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Boy, you'd better get it while you can, when you can!

Wise words.

Boerrancher
06-02-2013, 10:56 AM
It is that attitude that is driving the current shortage and high prices. If one day it is restricted or taxed so high I can't afford it, buying three boxes today won't have mattered. If I prowl around and buy everything I can find to build a giant stash, I am part of the problem. I am not going down that path.

Tim

I must respectfully disagree. If you have a gun of any kind and don't have a years supply of ammo for it on hand you had better be getting it, even if it is one or two boxes at a time. I have personally been in situations where the last 30 round mag I had on me made the difference between whether I lived or died, so yes even a single box of ammo may in the future make a difference.

On the other part of your statement concerning contributing to the shortage, I don't think events like in the above posts are contributing to the shortage. The shortage is caused by, "a civilian security force as well equipped as the military," ordering ammo, and the millions of new gun owners that have cropped up in the last half a year or so. I have been hitting up gun shops in a 60 mile radius, and I will tell you that here in MO many of them look like they have gone out of business. You will not find a single Milsurp gun on the shelves, or any semi autos. I never thought I would see a shortage of Remington 742's and 7400's and spare mags to feed them.

You won't find any 8x57, 30-06, 303Brit, or 7.62x54R ammo on the shelves either. People who are buying these old military rifles are buying every piece of ammo they can find for them. I am going to tread ever so slightly on the political side of things, and say that folks are scared and preparing for a fight. Yes I know that there is a few gougers out there trying to make a fast buck, but there are many many more common folks who see the writing on the wall and know that this house of cards that has been built over the last 50 years and especially the last 12 is about to come crashing down, it is virtually unavoidable now. People are scared and are preparing to defend what is theirs.

These are the reasons why we have shortages of ammo, and components. Prior to the end of 2012 ammo produces were running at nearly max capacity. Now throw in the government contracts and several million new gun owners and it is easy to understand why there is a shortage. The demand has well exceeded the supply chain. Many manufacturers are looking to expand, but with all of the new EPA regulations, over the last 5 years and the economic and political uncertainty they are scared to make a huge capitol investment, and I don't blame them.

Best wishes,

Joe

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-02-2013, 11:16 AM
extinct!

captaint
06-02-2013, 11:57 AM
I used to (and still will, I'm sure) do that - buying stuff I didn't need right now. Only I did it with primers and rimfire ammo. Right before the stuff hit the fan this last time, I was in a local indoor range and they had Federal small pistol primers on the shelf. I just couldn't walk away and leave them all there. So, I just bought 1K (for 32 bux) which was a little high, but with no shipping and hazmat, it's easy arithmetic. I can't tell you how pleased I was with myself a week later, after the stuff hit the fan in Connecticut. I haven't bought a primer since, prior to Friday nite when I got some from Midsouth (Tula for 21 & change) per thou. Mike

Dale in Louisiana
06-02-2013, 12:03 PM
There are a couple of things here:

First, the forces who wish to restrict and tax ammo don't personally care how much you buy right now. It could be free and available by the bucketload and they'd still want to keep YOU form getting any at all. Of course, they keep their mouths shut at the idea of Homeland Security buying up a few billion rounds.

Second, for years every time I went to Wal-Mart I went by the sporting goods and bought a single unit of whatever bulk pack of .22 they had on hand. I wasn't hoarding. I was just taking advantage of the idea that prices seldom go down, so if I bought it today at three cents a round, I'd have it when prices went to a nickle. I never imagined that you'd see generic .22 LR at the prices today.

I did the same with centerfire stuff. I never bought a gun without making sure I had at least 500 rounds of ammo for it. Today I have a pretty good stash. I also made sure that I have handloading components for the calibers I shoot most. It's painful to go to the range and shoot ammo that I bought for fifteen cents a round from CMP when a round-for-round replacement costs a buck, so I crank back the load, cast up some bullets, and get most of my range time in at that fifteen cents and 1200 FPS.

I remember the ammo buying surge at when the Clintons pushed through the assault weapons ban. One of the local talk radio stations opined about the amount of ammo being sold. A caller said, "You know, a guy buys a few thousand rounds of 7.62x39, he's probably not stocking up for squirrel season."

Lot of ammo out there, you know...

dale in Louisiana

km101
06-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I have not had a problem with my "ammo addiction" lately as there has been none to buy! And I have plenty of components to reload. But when the supply gets back to "normal", if it ever does, then I will stock up a little deeper than I have now. I have not/will not participate in the panic buying at inflated prices, but I will maintain a decent stock against future situations. This is not hoarding in my estimation, it's just common sense! :Fire:

Boyscout
06-02-2013, 02:26 PM
I buy something each week but I have not yet sacked the complete supply when I find it. Yesterday, I picked up 1000 S&B Small pistol primers for $33.00. They had about 40 boxes. They had about the same of Federal Small Rifle and Tula Small Rifle. For the first time I saw Berdan primers for sale. I started buying a little extra right after the election as I knew the Democrats were only only looking for an excuse; I guess I didn't have to wait long. If I stop back in a week or two and they have stock I will buy again. I may spend more if I find some .22 LR, Unique or Win 231.

dtknowles
06-02-2013, 03:58 PM
I rarely shoot Factory Ammo except for .22 rf, 7.62x39 and 7.62x25. .22 rf for the obvious reason and the Russian Mil stuff because I got a case of each cheap. I have about a half a case of 30-06 mil surp that I don't shoot because it is what it is and not accurate enough for my rifle to show its potential. Pulled a bunch of it down and reloaded with Boolits and good J-words but I have plenty of brass and primers so I stopped doing that. I reloaded some 7.62x39 with the pulled bullets and powder but with all the 7.62x39 I have that I have that is not worth the effort either. I have not counted them but my stack of 9mm reloads is pretty deep with more brass, powder and primers waiting. For some of my guns a years supply is less than a box, they go years without making it to the range. I fired a box of shells in my .450 BPE double rifle a couple months ago, I have 40 pieces of brass, that is a lifetime supply. I only have a couple thousand rounds of .22 rf. Most of it is T22 and Eley Match or Sport. I would buy more .22 if it was on the shelf to have some plinking ammo but actually since my informal range has been close I don't do any plinking and only do more serious target or load development work except blasting away at steel plates with the SKS and CZ-52. I have a Rem 870 and plenty of shells for home defense. I miss being able to setup a practice course for the Shotgun and run some scenarios but like I said my informal range was closed. Some yahoo's messed that up because they would not pick up their trash and they were not careful to make sure they fired into the backstop.

Tim

762 shooter
06-02-2013, 05:05 PM
You do have a firearm that fires 7.62x39????:kidding:

dtknowles
06-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Does an SKS fire anything else???

Tim

You do have a firearm that fires 7.62x39????:kidding:

10x
06-02-2013, 07:37 PM
I must be addicted to ammo. I keep telling myself I'm not buying any more 7.62x39. i have a few boxes already that I probably won't shoot this year. I'm in Wally world on Wednesday and they have one 40 round box of Winchester 7.62x39 FMJ's. I tell myself I'm not buying them .... even thought I rarely see any good reloadable brass cased 7.62x39. My mind calculates that price is about $10 cheaper than midway and no shipping costs. So I leave empty handed.

Thursday I'm back in that Wally World and that box is still there ...... Sigh ... I stood there and stared at the ammo behind the glass for what seemed like an eternity ...like it was calling me to take it home. So I bought the dang thing. I don't need any and I bought it ... Sheesh .... It's like a chocolate lover unable to pass a candy place.
Why do I do such things. Fortunately ...the shelf there is empty of ammo so the temptation is gone. That is the first box of usable ammo besides 30-06 at that wallyworld I have seen in 4 or 5 months.
There is only one thing I cannot resist and that is temptation. I'm not buying anymore 7.62x39 !!!!
Ohio Rusty ><>

next you will be buying a 7.62x39 rifle to shoot the stuff...

finstr
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
I just bought a case of 7.62x39 (1440 rounds) but we're not having a shortage here yet in Canada. The ammo was $285 and the SKS is brand new (not refurbished) for an extra $75. I never thought I'd see the day when it is easier to get ammo and guns in Canada!

10x
06-02-2013, 11:33 PM
I just bought a case of 7.62x39 (1440 rounds) but we're not having a shortage here yet in Canada. The ammo was $285 and the SKS is brand new (not refurbished) for an extra $75. I never thought I'd see the day when it is easier to get ammo and guns in Canada!

Then the Gun Control Act of 1968 was in place Canada was flooded with inexpensive surplus firearms that could not be imported into the U.S.A.
I purchased many many mausers and Lee Enfields from Century International and Lever Arms during the 1970s and 1980s at rock bottom prices.
Mausers for $60.00 and $70.00 were common.

The reason chinese (Norinco) guns and ammo are available in quantity and inexpensive in Canada is because of the trade restrictions imposed by Bill Clinton. My 1911 Norinco clone ( no markings ) and 1000 rounds ( $499.00 shipping included) arrives tomorrow.
One of the few good things Mr. Clinton did for Canadian shooters.

Driver man
06-03-2013, 02:56 AM
Youve got to grab a bargain when the opportunity presents itself. Even tho you think you might not have a need for it immediately that may change at any time. I once bought a case of same ammo rather reluctantly but was so pleased a year or so later when supplies dried up and prices rocketed,and stayed up. Besides 7.62x39 is just so handy for everything if you have the ammo and the rifle you will find a use. I shoot quite a few calibres but my gun of first choice is becomming the sks as it just seems to fit most shooting (long gun) that i do.

Lead Fred
06-03-2013, 06:39 AM
Was gonna say I have not bought any store bought ammo in decades but...

Last year I bought a box of 30-30 for $14 at Walmart, because its Illegal to shoot someone in this state with reloaded rounds. (home defense)

SUre glad I stocked up on supplies right after 911, when it was cheap and plentiful

JSH
06-03-2013, 07:36 AM
I figured this thread would go down this road. So I will add my .02.
I consider myself an above average shooter and shot. I shoot way more different calibers than most. I used to buy a pound of powder and a k of primers and thought I was doing something. As time went on that was not enough for a sitting so to speak. Went to kegs and cases. Then when that wasn't enough had to replace one ASAP when one was opened to keep stocked up. Then of course I would stumble upon a deal, couldn't pass that up.
In a nut shell I am stocked up and know what I use and how much I use. Am I scared or worried? Not really. I mean come on folks one guy refuses to pay 35 per k on primers. Look at the price of everything else. They were going for more than that before the stuff hit the fan this time.
I refuse to repeat what I consider Internet propaganda. I don t read it nor repeat it.
I honestly think if you were not on top of the issue now you won't ever be where you think you should. This whole issue didn't start yesterday or 4 and a half years ago. It was way way before that. It has however like soooooo many other things gotten worse and or more expensive.
The Internet is a useful thing but.
I need some help here. Prior to what 1985-90ish. Any one recall running out of anything loading or ammo wise? I myself don't. But of course that point in my life a case of shotgun shells and a box of center fire ammo was about a years worth. With a couple of bricks of 22 thrown I. For good measure.
Jeff