PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 Sizing question.

drw
06-01-2013, 12:42 PM
I cast my first 9mm Saeco 377 bullets. The bullets cast to .356 and .356.5 My barrel slugged at .3565. I was told to use a .357 sizing die. When I use the .357 die, the bullets are not sizing, but the lube ring on the bullet is filled with lube and there is very little lube on the base. When I switched to a .356 sizing die, the bullets did resize but the lube was on the base of the bullet as well as filling the lube ring. I had to wipe each bullet base using the .356 die.

My question is is the bullet supposed to be resized as if it was swaged by using the .357 die??
This is my first time using a Lyman 4500 sizer.

Thanks guys.!!!

45-70 Chevroner
06-01-2013, 01:15 PM
I hope I am reading your question correctly. The .357 sizer will not size a .356 or .356.5, but it will work for lubing the boolit. I have done this for a long time, ie over sized sizer for smaller boolit. The test is, does it shoot ok and are you getting any leading. You are lucky if you are not getting any lube on the base of the boolit. When I size and lube there is almost always some lube on the base of the boolit. I, as a habit wipe the base on a small piece of short knap carpet stapled to the bench just before placing the boolit in the shell for seating.

Mal Paso
06-01-2013, 06:25 PM
That was my first casting question. The 4500 won't make a boolit bigger. The boolit lube thing is a balance of Lube pressure and hold the handle down firmly until you are ready for a quick up stroke. A pause at the bottom of the stroke without pressure on the handle lets lube under the base.

drw
06-02-2013, 05:06 AM
That was my first casting question. The 4500 won't make a boolit bigger. The boolit lube thing is a balance of Lube pressure and hold the handle down firmly until you are ready for a quick up stroke. A pause at the bottom of the stroke without pressure on the handle lets lube under the base.

I tried your method and it worked. No lube on the base at all.
Thank you!!!!!