PDA

View Full Version : On the hunt today.

BBQJOE
06-01-2013, 09:23 AM
For the first time in a couple of years the wife and I are going to a gun show today. I will be interested to see what's out there.
I'm not in the need for any guns, but will have my eye out for 9mm brass, and possibly some M&P mags.
There will also be a stop by the scrap yard to investigate the lead dumpster. Then it's off to the flea markets. Maybe I'll come across some pewter or tin. I've never gone to a gun show as a caster, this should be interesting, maybe I'll find some molds???

Will report back tonight.

SciFiJim
06-02-2013, 02:17 AM
I look forward to your report. I have given up on going to gun shows. I like to hear when other people have a better experience than the ones that I had.

Vinne
06-02-2013, 02:46 AM
It was so much fun to go to a gun show years ago. You could find some great deals and meet some interesting people. We would talk about our experiences and share ideas (just like here). They had tables with all kinds of parts, tables full of reloading tools and supplies. The shows I have been to around here lately have been a big disappointment. Very little in the way of reloading equipment but mostly factory ammo, leather goods and some even tables full of jewelry. The prices are sky high and the venders seem to only be there to make a buck and don't have time to talk. The old-timers that are there are great for info but there are fewer of them each time I go. The shows I do go to have free parking but the gate prices are getting outrageous...$12 just to get in!!!

BBQJOE
06-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Two words. Severe disappointment.
Powder could be had at $35-40 lb. or like $235 for the large one. No Unique, no pistol power.
Couldn't find 9mm brass for less than .50 apiece.
Would have been happy to find M&P 9 mags. Forget it.
I saw bricks of .22 in 500 rds, $150!!!!
Everybody had some form of AR types, not my desire.

Things will really have to change before I do that again.

The flea markets netted one pewter goblet.
I did find a cast iron cornbread type mold in the shape of christmas trees.
The same guy had about 4 inches of used and rejected bullets in a 5 gal bucket. He wanted $40. Screw that.
The best score of the day was had at the scrap yard. 110 lbs lead for $40.

I also need to learn how to tell tin from aluminum.

41 mag fan
06-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Gunshows have steadily went down hill for years around here. Prices before everything went south were almost always to high.
Vendors and private sellers are proud of their prices. They can stay proud of them.

RustyReel
06-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Sadly, I have been addicted to gun shows for the past few years. Also sadly, the prices for everything, guns, ammo, admission, parking, etc have gone up while the quality of the shows has gone way down. Also, we have a couple of local "promoters" that seem to be competing with each other and it seems there is a gun show every couple of weeks by these guys. Same vendors, same junk. This past weekend I did find a badly bubbaed 1908 Mauser for $65, a box of WW factory 458WM for $28 and a box of WW facory 6.5x55 for $17. As noted earlier there is also a LOT of jewelry, jerkey and made in china knives. Trying to quit, but I'm sure I'll be at the next one.....something to do.

Shedhunter
06-02-2013, 10:31 AM
I went to the last gunshow after a few years of staying away, nothing has changed. Same high priced vendors and I swear I saw some of the same firearms from years ago. Free parking and 6 bucks to get in. People need to leave the double wide baby strollers at home also.

Dale in Louisiana
06-02-2013, 12:19 PM
The last time I bought a gun at a gunshow was after I lost my home and my collection after Hurricane Rita. One of the local dealers puts on the local shows. I paid my entrance fee, walked right to his table, got the two that I needed at less than the sticker price, and left.

I do attend the shows, usually twice a year, mainly to see a lot of my friends from the local shooting community. Sometimes I buy a book or a toy or a trinket.

I have long ago given up the idea of any bargains.

dale in Louisiana