PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag question lee mold # 429-208-WC

johntkd
06-01-2013, 02:17 AM
I have an old lee mold although was new before I started cast a week ago its been out of production a long time from what i am gathering, itas been called the trash can bullet maker on a lot of forums.
I am finding NO load data anywhere for a full wad cutter style bullet, although i have seen in countless posts that this bullet is seated much deeper than any other again no mention of depth,col etc. I tried a few loads ( have fired 1) using a mid point between a listed load for a cast lead rnfp and a jacketed hp in the 200 gr range using 10 grains of SR4756, and a col of 1.570 I fired one and it shot ok light recoil. I also loaded some up but have not fired with the bullet seated Much deeper BUT not compressing the powder. I am a little reluctant to fire this load at this point.I am hoping someone on here has loaded this bullet before, some of the comments i have found online is this is a really fun bullet to shoot, and i know it punched a nice visible hole in the paper plate i fired the one shot at. Any help, or recommendations would be highly appreciated, I am not looking for a hyper fast round here its for my dad to shoot he is in his 70s and would appreciate the reduced recoil, I have jacketed HP in 180 gr to load for hunting and generally destroying anything i need to.

I also have a fresh new jug of longshot if anyone has a longshot powder load for this wc bullet thanks

weapon = Ruger super blackhawk single action 44 mag

44man
06-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I can't help. The .44 does not come around until 240 gr. Light boolits are fun of course but more of a noise maker. Good close range can shooters. I would think Unique and 231 is good. I don't know the other powders.

longbow
06-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Probably not a lot of help but while my go to powder for .44 mag Marlin is IMR4227 for most boolit weights, I find that with my Accurate 43-165B (165 gr. TC) I did not get good results (lots of unburned powder) so went to faster powder using 10 grs. 700X. I used starting load data for the 180 gr., though the 165 gr. is not seated deep so no problem there. I compared to similar boolits in .44 Special and .44-40 since both run at lower pressures than .44 mag. The 700X load worked very well and in fact was a little zippier than I had anticipated. Recoil is very light though and accuracy good. I will be trying Unique next.

Finding a starting load can be a bit of a problem if nothing is published for your boolit and being seated deep will likely increase pressure over similar or even heavier designs seated out furrther. I would be inclined to look at powders in the faster end of burn rate for 240 gr. in .44 Special then use a starting load and work up from there.

Maybe someone else has experience with this or a similar boolit and can give you specific load data.

A quick internet search turned this up:

http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Special&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Source=

There is one listing for your boolit using Trail Boss about half way down.

However you start out, once you find a load I am sure you and your dad will find the light boolit lots of fun to shoot. I find shooting my little 165 gr. like shooting a .22 on steroids ~ good BANG and big hole in the paper but cheap on powder and lead and very light recoil.

Longbow

johntkd
06-01-2013, 12:19 PM
the recoil is not a problem for me at all as a matter of fact I like when my weapon lets me know its there but my dad is in his later 70s and wants to go shooting more but after a couple dozen rounds his arm and wrist are getting sore from factory rounds.
as for my 180 gr jhp hardly pop rounds, 35 gr of h110 and on chrono tests getting 2110 fps and they blow nice holes in deer at 90+ yards, and on the range can easily hold a 2 inch group at 100 yds, anything i have ever fired in 240 gr class I have to resight gun every 30 yards out because they drop off so horribly

oh I didnt buy the above mentioned mold it just came with some loading stuff that was given to me a few years ago..

johntkd
06-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Thank you I missed this one on my searches the past 2 weeks, it gives me a col which is what i have been most concerned with

Probably not a lot of help but while my go to powder for .44 mag Marlin is IMR4227 for most boolit weights, I find that with my Accurate 43-165B (165 gr. TC) I did not get good results (lots of unburned powder) so went to faster powder using 10 grs. 700X. I used starting load data for the 180 gr., though the 165 gr. is not seated deep so no problem there. I compared to similar boolits in .44 Special and .44-40 since both run at lower pressures than .44 mag. The 700X load worked very well and in fact was a little zippier than I had anticipated. Recoil is very light though and accuracy good. I will be trying Unique next.

Finding a starting load can be a bit of a problem if nothing is published for your boolit and being seated deep will likely increase pressure over similar or even heavier designs seated out furrther. I would be inclined to look at powders in the faster end of burn rate for 240 gr. in .44 Special then use a starting load and work up from there.

Maybe someone else has experience with this or a similar boolit and can give you specific load data.

A quick internet search turned this up:

http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44%20Special&Weight=All&type=Handgun&Source=

There is one listing for your boolit using Trail Boss about half way down.

However you start out, once you find a load I am sure you and your dad will find the light boolit lots of fun to shoot. I find shooting my little 165 gr. like shooting a .22 on steroids ~ good BANG and big hole in the paper but cheap on powder and lead and very light recoil.

Longbow

bobthenailer
06-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Bullseye- 5.0 to 6.5 gr
231- 6.5 to 7.5 gr
Unique- 6.5 to 8.0 gr
With the Lee 212 gr WC loaded in 44 mag cases.

johntkd
06-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Bullseye- 5.0 to 6.5 gr
231- 6.5 to 7.5 gr
Unique- 6.5 to 8.0 gr
With the Lee 212 gr WC loaded in 44 mag cases.

Thank you very much any idea on col by chance???

fcvan
06-01-2013, 06:07 PM
I did some horse trading with a member he and picked up a single cavity version of that mold. I have a buddy who had a 44 Bulldog and thought it would be great in that gun. I went to go visit and he'd traded it away. When I showed him some boolits I'd cast I could tell he was regretting getting rid of it.

The 44 with wad cutters is supposed to be an awesome performer. I intend to load it in mag brass at 900 fps for my wife's SBH. I bet tin cans will be quaking in fear whenever mama brings out her 44

bobthenailer
06-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Thank you very much any idea on col by chance???

1.350 col

johntkd
06-04-2013, 07:03 PM
1.350 col

Thank you very very much huge help...