PDA

View Full Version : Itar

TES
05-31-2013, 09:09 PM
So recently A post was made that asked questions regarding licenses and taxation....In the manual for ITAR it makes things simple..If you manufacture even once you are subject to the tax / fee regardless of import / export or supplying to DOD. This ruling does not clarify for personal use or for sale. Just a thought....it also implies intellectual property meaning if you were to consult for someone manufacturing for sale or for personal use then you are liable for the fee. This would include all members here that have helped in the manufacturing of any component for use. Yes I have read and reread the manual.

Jeeze..any lawyers in the house? Hello NRA lawyers!

starmac
05-31-2013, 11:06 PM
No need to be giving them any ideas.

TES
06-01-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm hoping that we can start a voice here! So we can change this!

dtknowles
06-01-2013, 08:57 PM
We could start putting the same ITAR disclaimers that I use at work on each post. No worry about info that is already in the public domain so normal reloading data and processes are ok. The innovative ideas like using 40 S&W cases as jackets for swaging pistol bullets might have crossed the line but I think that is well below the radar. Selling ammo or components to someone overseas especially in one of the "bad" countries might get you on the radar. I would worry more about the ATF than I would the State Dept or DOD.

Tim

dtknowles
06-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm hoping that we can start a voice here! So we can change this!

The is not a chance that we can fix ITAR with a discussion here. Much deeper pocket have lobbied to get changes to ITAR that make sense with no luck.

Tim

TES
06-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Its rumored that Charlton Heston's ghost still lingers in these hall's....:kidding:

Seriously though If a lawyer reads it and says is applies to anyone..well then it does..scary stuff non the less!

Jammersix
06-01-2013, 10:26 PM
What happens if a plumber reads it?

TES
06-01-2013, 10:40 PM
huh? Read the regs.

Adam10mm
06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
ITAR deals with commerce in defensive articles, not personal use of the same.

dtknowles
06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
ITAR deals with commerce in defensive articles, not personal use of the same.

ITAR deals with the export of defense articles and technical data relating to defense articles. If you post technical data to this site related to ammo or weapons that is not already in the public domain you could be in violation since it will be visible to persons in a foreign country (exported controlled technical data). When I was working we could not even tell the Norwegians how we made the rubber we used as rocket fuel without getting the State Dept. to approve a Technical Assistance Agreement.

Tim

Adam10mm
06-03-2013, 03:22 PM
That is not all that ITAR deals with. I work on the ITAR compliance team at my full time job.

missionary5155
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
That is not all that ITAR deals with. I work on the ITAR compliance team at my full time job.

Greetings
The above statement shouts alot about Gov. Regs. "Compliance Team" is probably why many small buisnesses cease and numerous others Fail to get going. Three "Haloos" for all the lawyers that have spent thier lives making life so simple for us to live.
Mike in Peru

pdawg_shooter
06-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Mike in Peru: are you not blessed with idiots in your government?

km101
06-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Mike in Peru: are you not blessed with idiots in your government?

Mike is a U.S. missionary stationed in Peru. His government is the same as yours! So yes, he IS blessed with idiots in his government! ;-)

Jammersix
06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
I've of mixed opinion about government regs.

Sometimes, they accomplish things that could never be accomplished any other way-- racial integration and fall protection come to mind.

Setting a reasonable baseline for the operation of a business is, overall, a good thing. If this is going to stifle your business, it seems to me we don't really need your business, because many similar businesses are flourishing under the same regulations.

I ran a business for a quarter of a century and never felt like the government was in my way.

Adam10mm
06-04-2013, 01:17 AM

Sometimes, they accomplish things that could never be accomplished any other way-- racial integration and fall protection come to mind.
Yup.

Setting a reasonable baseline for the operation of a business is, overall, a good thing. If this is going to stifle your business, it seems to me we don't really need your business, because many similar businesses are flourishing under the same regulations.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel of what you're getting at, but the entry to business is a burden on small business that is put upon by large corporations with a lot of cash, power, and political influence that set those regulations into law. My brother in law and I want to start a small business in the butcher industry. He raises the livestock on his farm and I butcher and sell the meat. I need to be USDA certified. In that building, I need to provide a restroom for customers to use that also has to be compliant with local state, county, and village building codes as well as local state, county, and village health department regulations. Really? All that regulation for a two man team wanting to sell a steak to customers that maybe one or two a week will have to poop while shopping for hamburger?

I ran a business for a quarter of a century and never felt like the government was in my way.
The very moment the government requires a license or permit of you to engage in something, that's a burden, ie "in your way". Thousands of years of human life and the last 100 years or so all of a sudden we need some paper on the wall to "prove" to customers that we are "legit" to sell you raw meat?

pdawg_shooter
06-04-2013, 07:52 AM

You apparently have never held a FFL. Talk about intrusive!

Epd230
06-04-2013, 08:55 AM
I don't think that I would ever buy meat that wasn't USDA certified. That is one Govt regulation that I am glad to see.

But, in a true free market system, freekshow should be allowed to operate his business as he sees fit and let the customer make the ultimate decision with his purchasing dollar. If a non-USDA butcher has business, then God bless him!

Also, it is total BS that you are mandated to have a restroom facility. I do not expect every business that I go into to have one available.

Adam10mm
06-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't think that I would ever buy meat that wasn't USDA certified. That is one Govt regulation that I am glad to see.
USDA certified meat isn't any safer than meat that was processed by a custom butcher or slaughterhouse (USDA exempt). I've never gotten sick from eating game animals and they weren't processed by or bought from a USDA inspected butcher. I butchered them myself.

Not every animal in a USDA meat processing facility is inspected. In fact many of them don't have a federal inspector on site. The government allows the companies to self inspect and stamp the USDA stamp on the carcasses.

But, in a true free market system, freekshow should be allowed to operate his business as he sees fit and let the customer make the ultimate decision with his purchasing dollar. If a non-USDA butcher has business, then God bless him!
There are a lot of non-USDA butchers operating safely in this country. They can't sell meat, they can only slaughter/butcher for other people for personal use and use by non-paying guests. Those people cannot buy the meat. That's the threshold. If you are selling the meat, you must be USDA inspected. If you aren't selling the meat, you qualify for the custom slaughterhouse/butcher exemption.

Also, it is total BS that you are mandated to have a restroom facility. I do not expect every business that I go into to have one available.
Yup and they have to be separate for employees and customers. Oh, and get this. You have to provide a separate restroom for the exclusive use of the USDA inspector. No one else may use or have access to the restroom. Only the USDA inspector. So three sets of restrooms. USDA regulations are a joke. So is ITAR.

Epd230
06-04-2013, 11:45 AM
^learn something new everyday!