PDA

View Full Version : WC 860 vs WC 872

Oldfeller
08-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Pros and cons, which burns cleaner? Example case = .308 Winchester.

Oldfeller

Buckshot
08-14-2005, 05:37 AM
...........The ton of WC872 I had was 50 fps faster then the WC860. I mentioned this in passing to Jeff Bartlett as I figured the bigger number meant slower, ya know? Well that's the way it was SUPPOSED to be, according to him. However, it was lot variation apparently that had them switched around. At least for me.

Re: The 308. I don't have one. Partial caseloads in the 6.5 Swede for cast are dirty. Full caseloads under FLGC's in the same case deliver design ballistics. Basicly ditto for the 7x57. Partial caseloads with filler and heavy slugs burn clean in the -'06 and full caseloads deliver like 2200-2300 fps. Similar reaction with slightly lower velocities in the 8x57.

Burns dirty regardless in the 35 Rem, and ditto in any straight walled case. Although the 308 is the same boresize as the 30-'06, it's smaller volumn might act against it? I'm guessing here. In the longer case the taller powder column may be acting a bit like an active filler, if you will.

.............Buckshot

swheeler
08-14-2005, 12:26 PM
OF: I think alot depends on what lot you have, no pun intended. They both are going to burn dirty in this size case. the two different lots of 872 that I have are pretty far apart in burn sppeed, 200 fps difference in 06 case. Take a larger case, say the 300RUM, the slower of the two still has unburned powder, and both will foul a barrel pretty bad. It's kinda like comparing Bituminus to Lignite. Why? you didn't design them for Olin, did ya???
Scooter

jethrow strait
08-14-2005, 05:20 PM
...........longer case the taller powder column may be acting a bit like an active filler, if you will.

.............Buckshot

Helloooooo Buckshot, you are really out there today----or perhaps I just don't understand.

Anyway, I am really happy that for the first time in history I can agree with you on the use of "fillers".-----jethrow

Buckshot
08-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Helloooooo Buckshot, you are really out there today----or perhaps I just don't understand.

Anyway, I am really happy that for the first time in history I can agree with you on the use of "fillers".-----jethrow

..........Jethrow, re: taller powder column 308 vs 30-'06 with WC872 as an 'active' filler. I mean that the extra weight of powder in the longer -'06 case may be acting as a filler to help it burn clean. Acting as extra resistance if you will, to the powder already involved in the rear of the case.

I know in the 45-70 with a duplex load of 3.0gr H4198 under a caseload of WC872 it's great. Good useable velocity, and very clean. No pressure indications. Doing that in the 45-90, I got greatly increased pressure indications via primer appearance and web expansion.

So I'm thinking that the extra powder may be acting as a solid filler. In the 30-'06 case it's a benefit that the 308 may not have.

.............Buckshot