PDA

View Full Version : Western NY informal silhouette shooting

fecmech
05-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Starting on Tuesday June 4th the Hartland Conservationists Club will hold weekly informal silhouette shooting and run for 8 weeks. Every Tuesday evening from 4 pm on we shoot rimfire and center fire (cast bullet only) on the club range. We have a 100 yd range and for cast handgun and rifle with half scale targets. Chickens@ 25 yds, Pigs@50 yds, Turkeys@75 and Rams@100 yds. Our center fire targets are mild steel so we like velocities kept reasonably in the 1200-1300 fps max range please. The rams fall pretty reliably with my .38 spl with a 158@900 fps so uber velocity is not needed. Everything both pistol and rifle is shot offhand and there are no prizes etc. This is just guys and an occasional gal getting together to shoot and tell a lie or two. Cost is $3. per 40 targets and of course a tip for the target setters. Our club is located on the Orangeport Rd. about 1/4 mile south of Rt 104 in Gasport NY. Anyone who would like to shoot just show up, all are welcome.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2013, 04:58 PM
closer!

bbs70
05-31-2013, 08:59 PM
A few other club members (About 20 ) and I suggested something similar to this a few months ago.
A one time .22 shoot for anyone who wanted to attend.
No charge, just bring your own .22 and your ammo.
I make steel targets and said I would supply all the targets needed for free, other members said they would be range safety officers.

The idea was to get new members, have the wives come out & try target shooting and of course teach the younger ones gun safety.
Basically a just for fun shoot with safety rules top priority while still having fun.

However the pres and vice pres said no, they didn't want to take up any more Saturdays.
I can understand that, but they just started letting a board member, who owns a gun shop, take up a Saturday to give safety lessons @ $125 a pop.
And let cowboy shooters have more range time.

As always, money talks louder

fecmech
05-31-2013, 09:30 PM
The idea was to get new members, have the wives come out & try target shooting and of course teach the younger ones gun safety.
Basically a just for fun shoot with safety rules top priority while still having fun.
That's a shame that you can't run a little shoot like that. We just had to change the club rules to allow us to accept additional members because our waiting list was so large. Even after the change we still have a waiting list albeit considerably smaller.

bbs70
06-01-2013, 10:25 AM
The club is outside a small town of about 7000.
We have about 100 or so members according to the pres of the club, so there is room for more.
We have no waiting list, if you want to join you go to the local gun shop, plop down $100 and show you're an NRA member and you're in.

My thoughts were.
Teach gun safety
Get more people involved in the shooting sport
Show you can bring the family and have a little fun.
More members equals more money for the club to spruce up the place & pay bills.

We have aspirin shoots, cowboy shoots, idpa matches, etc.
All of these are great , but not all people want to shoot these types of matches.
A lot of us just want to have a little informal friendly competition just for bragging rights.