PDA

View Full Version : .22 Ammo Shortage Likely To Continue

Blacksmith
05-30-2013, 11:47 PM
The shortage of .22 ammo is likely to continue for awhile. The CMP is out of stock but has been accepting back orders for .22 manufactured by Aguila which they are expecting delivery of in October. The head of the CMP posted, on May 28th, on their forum the status of their order backlog:

The orders are still coming, but have slowed down a little. We are currently about 20,000 orders behind. over 6,000 of those orders are for .22 ammo which we do not expect till Oct at the earliest.

CMP sells this ammo in case lots and a case contains 5,000 rounds or ten bricks. I am sure that many of the 6, 000 orders are for more than one case. Probably before October arrives the complete shipment from the manufacturer will be allocated and it will be another six months wait for the next shipment. Probably when this ammo finally arrives many will immediately reorder for the next batch.

Just a heads up so you can plan ahead.

smoked turkey
05-31-2013, 12:33 AM
I talked to the guy in the local Wal-Mart today about .22 LR ammo. He told me every Monday morning at 7am the same guys are in line waiting for the ammo to arrive. They quickly buy it all out and go sell it for a nice profit. Seems as long as people will continue to pay the high prices that the shortage will continue for those of us who are waiting for things to get back to somewhat normal.

starmac
05-31-2013, 02:18 AM
Our wallmart limits everyone to 1 brick period, id doesn't matter if you live 300 miles from town. It must be a store manager thing.

drsfmd
05-31-2013, 09:15 AM
It's been slowly trickling back into the stores in my area... but it still sells out pretty quickly.

smokemjoe
05-31-2013, 09:50 AM
I been thinking of buying a new Sav. rifle, but then think about the shells,got some but not that many.

Iowa Fox
05-31-2013, 10:30 AM
My personal feeling is that the 22LR thing is going to last for a long time. I look for some improvement but inventories and stock levels will be low for years. Ruger has really sold a lot of new rimfire guns in the last few years pushing ammo demand to the production limits of all the plants producing it. 10/22s and SR22 pistols eat a lot of ammo and I know Rugers production of both is at capacity with no slow down in sight. Lots of personal inventories of rimfire ammo are being used up that folks are going to want to replace if things ever do improve. Plus, I think a lot of older guys like me have made the circle back to rimfire shooting because of our age. I still shoot plenty of center fire everything but 99.9% of it is mild light cast bullet loads.

beagle
05-31-2013, 10:52 AM
We may be fooled. I believe as long as there is a good market looking say 2-3 years in advance, one of the big ammo companies will bring additional manufacturing capability on line. Looks like what is fooling everyone is the unusually high demand caused by hoarding. Once they see this, someone will upgrade to newer technology for future use and we'll get .22 LR back into the market at reasonable prices. One of these ammo companies is going to take the opportunity to get ahead of the game in the long run seeing as money for upgrade is easy to borrow at cheap interest rates. Then, in the future, they'll be the "big gun" in town. Just my guess./beagle

Smoke4320
05-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Both Remington and Aguila have announced building new facilitys to double their ammo production.. problem is they both said it would be at least 2 years before the frist rounds came off those lines

Hogdaddy
05-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Remington 22LR has been popping up all over here & there, along with CCI's at normal pricing ; )
H/D

bangerjim
05-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Shoot only what you can reload! That's my motto.

I own several 22 s/l/lr platforms but they are just gathering dust in the safe. Will not shoot up the collection of 22lr carts I now have. And I will NOT sell any nor buy any at these rediculous prices.

DougGuy
05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
The sad part of this, is it is not going to "blow over" like many think it will and people are mistaken when they keep thinking it will get back to "normal." Normal, is gone. History. Done deal. Over with.

We as a shooting population (or hoarding population) have shown the industry how deep our pockets are, and what we are willing to pay for our firearms and supplies. Do you think for one instant that they are going to roll prices back down? I hardly think so. They just got a 10 fold shot in the arm financially, and they are going to keep that financial edge, but they will ramp up production to meet demand, and cite the rising costs of that ramping up as the reason prices aren't coming down.

starmac
05-31-2013, 05:01 PM
I don't think manufacturer have got that (10 fold shot) in the arm so much as some of the internet salesmen or the more greedy retail stores. Ar's are built by everybody and their dog, and the prices Have been dropping back close to normal.

BSalty
05-31-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the CMP stock. I don't see the "old normal" ever returning to that level. Once the manufacturers started raising their prices, that old normal was replaced with what will be the future pricing. $50 a brick of 22 LR won't last forever, but the prices will never be what they were in November 2012 again.

As for demand, it will slow down once people get comfortable with what they have stocked up, but until this administration leaves office (and even then only if the left doesn't win again in 2016) elevated firearms sales and especially ammo sales will continue.

All the conspiracy theories aside, people are worried (and rightly so IMHO) about the mid-term elections loosing the House to the left, one of the right leaning SCOTUS Justices retiring or dying, the next mass shooting, the economy taking another downturn, etc etc etc.

Scared people buy the same things from the beginning of time. Weapons, Gold, and Land. I don't see this time being any different.

Then again, what do I know? I have been wrong before, and will be wrong again. [smilie=1:

sparky45
05-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Can't disagree very much in what you've said, but I'll add Lead to the list of "what scared people will buy". The .22 thing is incredible to me! I was in Walmart this afternoon (2:30'ish) bought some Yogurt and Butter then strolled by the Ammo counter on my way out. A line was already forming to purchase ammo when the delivery was to come in at 7:30 - 8:00 . This store allows 3 bricks per customer per day and the guy at the head of the line was the same guy I have seen at the front of the line the last 4 times I've been in the store. That's why there is a ammo shortage for average working guys. Ammo is getting out, but its the re-sellers that are scooping it all up.

Thanks for the heads up on the CMP stock. I don't see the "old normal" ever returning to that level. Once the manufacturers started raising their prices, that old normal was replaced with what will be the future pricing. $50 a brick of 22 LR won't last forever, but the prices will never be what they were in November 2012 again.

As for demand, it will slow down once people get comfortable with what they have stocked up, but until this administration leaves office (and even then only if the left doesn't win again in 2016) elevated firearms sales and especially ammo sales will continue.

All the conspiracy theories aside, people are worried (and rightly so IMHO) about the mid-term elections loosing the House to the left, one of the right leaning SCOTUS Justices retiring or dying, the next mass shooting, the economy taking another downturn, etc etc etc.

Scared people buy the same things from the beginning of time. Weapons, Gold, and Land. I don't see this time being any different.

Then again, what do I know? I have been wrong before, and will be wrong again. [smilie=1:

otter5555
05-31-2013, 09:29 PM

i didnt even like the "old normal" prices for 22lr
even today, i can shoot all my centerfires for around a nickle a shot using cast boolits/shotgun powders and 4 cent primers. i love rimfire but it's cheaper to shoot cf.

27judge
05-31-2013, 10:54 PM
I agree light to medium cast bullet loads in 30-06, 300 blackout, 30-30 ack imp, 357 mag, 41 mag, 45 auto and 44 mag and I shoot for a long time without taking my 22 rifles/pistol out of the safe. Its still a shame as I have a couple of real nice 22s that see very little use .I am holding back enough ammo for Squirrel hunting tks ken

starmac
05-31-2013, 11:02 PM
22's are hard to beat for rabbits and grouse though, plus they are just plain fun.

Charley
05-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Picked up a 375 round box of Federal for $25 at Waltopia last Saturday. Price wasn't bad, considering the scarcity.

quilbilly
06-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Still haven't seen any fresh 22's around here but some of my retailer customers are now at almost full stock on primers.

ffg
06-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Local gun/ pawn shop is selling regular ole plain jane .22 bricks for, are you ready for his, $150.
He said it is the only way he can keep it on the shelf, I told him he could keep it for sure.

mroliver77
06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Any long term extra $$ I get are spent on components in "Normal" times. I save up and when Wideners send me an "Oops we bought too much!" Email I buy a case or more of powder and usually they pay shipping and hazmat. I bought 8lb jugs of AA2520 for $50. a jug delivered. Bought Wolfe primers from Powder Valley (when they were "pushing" them) for $19. per K. Most of my stuff has been bought on sale as I am patient, frugal and just plain a TiteWad! I knew Obamageddon was at hand so bought all the .22 I could find the money for @ $7. - $8. for the 5C and 5.5C boxes.
I am dirt poor and if I can pull this off anybody can. I suppose you can call me a hoarder. I am OK with that. I rarely sell anything and when I do it is mostly at auction so I am not ashamed if I make 1000% on something.
I have been Ill any away from this site for 6months or a year and was wondering what you all were talking about shortages and such. :)
J

JeffinNZ
06-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Is anyone shooting the .22LR they are hoarding/buying? My concern is that the ammo manufacturers will ramp up production and when ammo is freely available again it won't sell because so much will be in circulation. Will the manufacturers do a starve for a year?

mroliver77
06-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Is anyone shooting the .22LR they are hoarding/buying? My concern is that the ammo manufacturers will ramp up production and when ammo is freely available again it won't sell because so much will be in circulation. Will the manufacturers do a starve for a year?
The guys on AFR (American Family Radio) a Christian talk radio I listen to brought up just this scenario Jeff. They were of the opinion that it could ruin or really hurt a manufacturer.
It's neat that the DJ's and preachers on this station are mostly shooters and Patriots.

Like others I assume the price will also be inflated and poor folk like me wont be able to buy any new at all.
J

ffg
06-07-2013, 05:14 PM
I do not think most is being shot, but hoarded and resold.

9.3X62AL
06-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Flipper SOBs are (expletives deleted) parasites, for whom I have no use whatsoever. I make no secret of my disgust with their course of conduct whenever I encounter it, too.

mroliver77
06-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Flipper SOBs are (expletives deleted) parasites, for whom I have no use whatsoever. I make no secret of my disgust with their course of conduct whenever I encounter it, too.

Flipper? Could you splain that?
Jay

Ohio Rusty
06-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Last weekend my brother I, nephew, niece and Dad shot up a bunch of .38 specials and .44's I reloaded, shot about 80 milsurp rifle rounds and shot maybe a half brick of .22's from the Niece's new .22 rifle. The only way to stay accurate is to shoot some of it ...
Definitely a fun time at the range ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

jcwit
06-07-2013, 07:23 PM

Now, now, cool down, I've been informed time and again they "the flippers" are only trying to make a few bucks, and doing so with no business permits or licensing. This of course makes it OK in the minds of some, however the logic escapes me.

HATCH
06-07-2013, 07:31 PM

What will happen is that once they have a surplus they'll reduce the price.
People that have purchased at inflated price will continue to buy at the reduced price and stock pile.
Manufactures. Will go from 24/7 to 24/5 then to 16/5.
they have over 5 years worth of production on backorder right now.

To be honest i plan to purchase 30k rds of 22lr once its available. I will never be caught with less then 10k rounds of 22lr again.

ktw
06-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Most of the manufacturers won't ramp up production for this very reason. The buying frenzy is always followed by a volume crash in the component marketplace. This is what drives the price back down to what most consider "normal" levels.

I had two favorite small gunshops I used to frequent. I recall discussing the issue with the owner of one of them back during the 2008 ammo scare. He really hated the cyclical nature of the component business. During the buying frenzies you couldn't keep anyone happy; either the price was too high or you were completely out of inventory and couldn't get any more. Then, once it was over, he'd sell little or nothing for a couple of years as everyone was shooting out of hoarded personal inventory.

One shop closed in 2009 for this reason. The other closed in 2012 citing the same issues.

The best thing we can do to get through this is to behave counter to the herd. Build up some inventory in the lulls when prices are low and ride out the buying frenzies. Buying anything now, or encouraging any else to, only prolongs the problem.

I have a half dozen bricks of 22 ammo, but haven't been shooting it as I can't replace it. I'm saving it for those special occasions when nephews show up wanting to shoot or the local range has an NRA days for kids interested in shooting. I am happy to restrict my own shooting to muzzleloaders, cast in center-fire brass and archery for the time being.

-ktw

Wis. Tom
06-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Gas is $4.00 a gallon, while crude is still at $93 a barrel, should be about $2.20 a gallon. Where's the outrage? Our dollar is toast, ammo is no exception, and will be sold for what people will pay for it. This all can't end well.

45 Bravo
06-08-2013, 12:36 AM
30 miles from me, Winchester has a plant in Oxford ms.
I know a few people that there.
They have installed a new line for rimfire, theoretically it can put out 1.5 Million rounds in a 24 hour period.

But if you have run linear machines before, they rarely run best at top speed, from what I hear, they are pumping out just over 500,000 per day.

I shoot about 75 - 100 rounds of .22 every week.
I buy a brick or 2 every few weeks at Wally World, when they have them
This last week I gave up my 2 bricks because a guy and his on had just finished filling out he 4473 on a new .22 for his son.

Everyone else there were buying their 3 allowed bricks.
I had my hand on a 1000 round pack of winchester, but let the others buy theirs first, and waited for the father/son to finish their transaction, then let them buy the last one I was holding.

I have about 3000 on hand, various manufacturers.
Cci, Winchester, federal, and Remington.

Just a FYI, the cci Ar tactical rounds, perform very well from my Mossberg M44us target rifle.

Ian

uscra112
06-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Judging by the scarcity of spent 22 cases on the deck at our club range, I don't think a lot of it's being shot.

Unless the empties are all being picked up by swagers or scrap metal scroungers.

fatelk
06-08-2013, 01:44 AM
To be honest i plan to purchase 30k rds of 22lr once its available.

I suspect (but could be wrong) that this will keep things going a little longer than last time. Demand crashed after the last big scare, but after two in a row I wonder if people are wising up. Based on similar comments I've heard, I suspect that as supplies start coming back and prices start coming down again, more people who have been waiting for the frenzy to end will start "stocking up", possibly keeping demand from crashing for quite a while. That's my theory at least.

farmallcrew
06-08-2013, 02:04 AM
just got done buying a 6 postition Tapco stock and Pro Mag 50 round drum for my 10/22. Put them on, and now to collect dust, its far cheaper to shoot my Remington 700 308 tactical, with 1000s and 1000s of reloads.

Its awful sad about the 22 situation. but there are people that go to the range every weekend just to have fun and blow through 1000s of rounds of various ammo, just because they can and have the money at that time. then wonder where all their money went. i was at the range a few months ago and thats what a guy was doing.

Shooting his AR. i asked him if he reloaded, he said whats that. I left it at that. When he was done, he came over and was wondering what i was shooting, i took the old M95 8x56r out. so in the conversation i asked him how much hes paying for ammo, and he said where he got it(the most expensive place around). he was being ignorant to the world because he said, "yeah every friday i got and buy 500-1000rds and shoot all weekend long, because i got paid and nothing better to do with the money" i smile and nodded. thinking to myself, duh!!!!!! reload or save your money for a new car (early 1980s Toyota Camry, 4 different colors, and 2 shades of rust)

needless to say i scored about 750rds of 223 brass from him that he threw in the brass bucket.

Swamp Man
06-08-2013, 07:16 AM
This whole 22lr deal makes me mad as "Beep" not because I need or want to buy them but others may need them and can't walk in and just buy a box/brick. I have plenty of cci stingers and cci standards but haven't shot but 3 rounds of it since this madness started. I'm an airgun shooter and just started using them more instead of 22lr for plunking and critter control. This hunting season I will most likely use my 22 cal air guns for small game which I often do anyway instead of 22lr. The only good that has came from this 22lr shortage is I now can justify all the money I have tied up in airguns that my wife said was just plan nuts to spend on top of the line Beeman airguns.

jcwit
06-08-2013, 08:25 AM
just got done buying a 6 postition Tapco stock and Pro Mag 50 round drum for my 10/22. Put them on, and now to collect dust, its far cheaper to shoot my Remington 700 308 tactical, with 1000s and 1000s of reloads.

Its awful sad about the 22 situation. but there are people that go to the range every weekend just to have fun and blow through 1000s of rounds of various ammo, just because they can and have the money at that time. then wonder where all their money went. i was at the range a few months ago and thats what a guy was doing.

Shooting his AR. i asked him if he reloaded, he said whats that. I left it at that. When he was done, he came over and was wondering what i was shooting, i took the old M95 8x56r out. so in the conversation i asked him how much hes paying for ammo, and he said where he got it(the most expensive place around). he was being ignorant to the world because he said, "yeah every friday i got and buy 500-1000rds and shoot all weekend long, because i got paid and nothing better to do with the money" i smile and nodded. thinking to myself, duh!!!!!! reload or save your money for a new car (early 1980s Toyota Camry, 4 different colors, and 2 shades of rust)

needless to say i scored about 750rds of 223 brass from him that he threw in the brass bucket.

These are the same folks who blow a $100/$200 bucks a week on lottery tickets. But then they'll drive to the other side of town to save $ .02 on a gal. of gas.

Down South
06-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Flipper? Could you splain that?
Jay
Somebody buying 200 boxes of 22 rim fire for $10 a box and selling/flipping it for $30 a box. Lots of people doing it causing more strain on stock levels.

Down South
06-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Well, the 22 rim fire thing caught me with my pants down. I reload for everything else and I'm well stocked. I didn't have a decent 22 and decided to buy a nice 22 about the time all of the latest started. Then to make matters worse. I bought my wife, errrrrr, myself a nice Ruger Mk III Hunter. It was for the wife to practice with, he he. She loves it and lets me shoot it sometimes, that is when we have something to feed it.
One of my grandsons started staying with me just a few weeks ago and his "stuff" was spread out in his room. I spotted 4-5 brand new boxes of the Rem Golden 22's in the 550 packs. After we did a little swappin, I have one of those now.

I hope things get better soon but I have my doubts. The UN gun treaty thing is coming around the corner now and Obummer has sworn to sign it.

9.3X62AL
06-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Somebody buying 200 boxes of 22 rim fire for $10 a box and selling/flipping it for $30 a box. Lots of people doing it causing more strain on stock levels.

Yessir. Bricks of 22 LR for $75 at gun shows isn't Capitalism In Action--it is greed and avarice. Just to be clear, I'm not in bad shape in terms of rimfire ammo or centerfire components. I just have a deep disgust for thievery and fraud, and the hoarder/flipper/Chicken Little cycles are killing the retail gun/ammo business.

How? Like so--if conditions make the products I want to buy difficult to obtain, I'll just stop consuming what I have on hand recreationally and limit my shooting to sight-in and hunting. I normally burn through about $3,500-$4,000 per year in tools and components, and buy most of that in the first 6 months of the year. This year, I haven't spent even close to $800, and a chunk of that was for a lead smelt in February. I have enough on hand to keep me sighted-in and hunting for the rest of my life, plus. The lazy-assed ammo makers really have nothing I need or want, and the sorry-assed gunmakers will lose some sales when I dispose of the war toys I stopped using because there is nothing to feed them. My sole course of conduct won't make or break this lot, but if hundreds and thousands of other hobbyists start following that example......"Houston, we have a problem."

You see, I don't just shoot & reload. I fish in salt- and fresh-water. A lot. And I'm doing it a lot more since the Hoarder/Flipper/Chicken Little cadre started their bulls--t, assisted by the manufacturers and their unwillingness to acknowledge that the market for their wares has changed and expanded GREATLY. If a passel of barracudas can manage to strip the shelves of products so quickly and so easily--and sustain the shortage they have created for such a long time--the manufacturers aren't trying very hard to serve the market. In essence, they don't give a s--t. I return that sentiment by spending my recreation dollars in venues that seek to earn my business, which the gun/ammo/reloading vendors clearly aren't interested in doing.

jcwit
06-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Yessir. Bricks of 22 LR for $75 at gun shows isn't Capitalism In Action--it is greed and avarice. Just to be clear, I'm not in bad shape in terms of rimfire ammo or centerfire components. I just have a deep disgust for thievery and fraud, and the hoarder/flipper/Chicken Little cycles are killing the retail gun/ammo business.

How? Like so--if conditions make the products I want to buy difficult to obtain, I'll just stop consuming what I have on hand recreationally and limit my shooting to sight-in and hunting. I normally burn through about $3,500-$4,000 per year in tools and components, and buy most of that in the first 6 months of the year. This year, I haven't spent even close to $800, and a chunk of that was for a lead smelt in February. I have enough on hand to keep me sighted-in and hunting for the rest of my life, plus. The lazy-assed ammo makers really have nothing I need or want, and the sorry-assed gunmakers will lose some sales when I dispose of the war toys I stopped using because there is nothing to feed them. My sole course of conduct won't make or break this lot, but if hundreds and thousands of other hobbyists start following that example......"Houston, we have a problem."

You see, I don't just shoot & reload. I fish in salt- and fresh-water. A lot. And I'm doing it a lot more since the Hoarder/Flipper/Chicken Little cadre started their bulls--t, assisted by the manufacturers and their unwillingness to acknowledge that the market for their wares has changed and expanded GREATLY. If a passel of barracudas can manage to strip the shelves of products so quickly and so easily--and sustain the shortage they have created for such a long time--the manufacturers aren't trying very hard to serve the market. In essence, they don't give a s--t. I return that sentiment by spending my recreation dollars in venues that seek to earn my business, which the gun/ammo/reloading vendors clearly aren't interested in doing.

Exactly, precisely, and absolutely. This is what I've been trying to get across for the last few months. As a result I've been hammered that "its a free market", "they're only trying to make a couple of bucks" and every other excuse imaginable.

Like you I have more than enough components and rimfire ammo to more than likely last me the rest of my shooting days, but the above gouging mentioned is destroying our sport. And NO, I have no ammo or components for sale, wife and auctioneer will handle that with my demise.

starmac
06-09-2013, 06:05 AM
LOL the guys selling bricks of 22 ammo for 75 bucks is not as big a problem as the ones buying it. From what I understand several ammo manufacturers are either expanding or in the planning stages to expand. I just hope it doesn't bite them in the backside in the long run.

randyrat
06-09-2013, 07:52 AM
With the cost of components for the center fire guns going up and up I see more rim fire guns being used for training and fun...Hoarders should be caught up soon and all the govt contracts being covered, I see a bright future. I just don't know when.

I just hope this is not some extravagant scheme by our Govt to really hurt the manufactures, by creating a false market and stirring up the hoarders on top of it. I wouldn't doubt it with this Govt

762 shooter
06-09-2013, 07:54 AM
I am glad that a lot of Americans are finally realizing that their firearms are useless without ammo.
From what I've read here, most "civilized" countries limit the amount of ammo one can have on hand. Makes the hair stand up on the back of my head.

The legislators will figure it out soon.

bbqncigars
06-09-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm not going to throttle back on my shooting until I have less than one years stock on hand. I feel sorry for those who don't maintain at least a years worth of ammo/components on hand. Then again, there's the amusement factor in newbies who think reloading will instantly save them money (yeah, right!).

Nortex
06-09-2013, 12:13 PM
I feel sorry for those who don't maintain at least a years worth of ammo/components on hand. Then again, there's the amusement factor in newbies who think reloading will instantly save them money (yeah, right!).Finally started reloading my own in January, still shoot as much as I used to. Figure I will break even this coming January (the savings racks up pretty quick on 458 socom and 300 BLK). Not instant, but fast enough for me.

Like many, about the only ammo I buy any more is 22LR when I see it.

MakeMineA10mm
06-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Any long term extra $$ I get are spent on components in "Normal" times. I save up and when Wideners send me an "Oops we bought too much!" Email I buy a case or more of powder and usually they pay shipping and hazmat. I bought 8lb jugs of AA2520 for $50. a jug delivered. Bought Wolfe primers from Powder Valley (when they were "pushing" them) for $19. per K. Most of my stuff has been bought on sale as I am patient, frugal and just plain a TiteWad! I knew Obamageddon was at hand so bought all the .22 I could find the money for @ $7. - $8. for the 5C and 5.5C boxes.
I am dirt poor and if I can pull this off anybody can. I suppose you can call me a hoarder. I am OK with that. I rarely sell anything and when I do it is mostly at auction so I am not ashamed if I make 1000% on something.
I have been Ill any away from this site for 6months or a year and was wondering what you all were talking about shortages and such. :)
J

This, right here! I am very well stocked on powder, primers, brass, lead, and lube. It was all scrounged or bought "on sale" or "specials" during normal times. I am not the high-volume shooter I used to be thanks to work and family responsibilities, but I get out once a week to every two weeks and shoot a hundred or two handloads. At that rate, I have several years' worth of components on hand. Easily enough to get me through Obama. I would, if I was a high-volume shooter during these times, cut back and go into "preservation mode," which is about the same as I'm at now. I refuse to buy (or for the most part sell) during these times, as I don't want to contribute to the problem, don't want to pay inflated prices, and refuse to give profit to a scalper. These times are very pedictable and cyclical. Be prepared.

Swamp Man
06-09-2013, 05:22 PM
When the stock of 22lr returns back to normal for a while then I'll buy them but not right away. I have a funny feeling that the first stock pumped out could be ran so fast that the co's won't be watching for defects as close as they should. I have a stock of 22lr and at the rate I've been shooting them what I have will last for many years. I want this shortage to end so I can start reloading for my 410's because those babies get vary pricey to shoot at 17.00 a box for #4 3 in and a buck plus for each buck shot load.

Love Life
06-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Bought me a 1,000 .22's the other day. I paid $80.00 and was glad to. It's only money and I can't take it with me when I die.

Now My little girl can shoot, and I consider it money well spent. I failed to stock up on enough .22 rimfire (I don't/didn't shoot it much at all) so I had to suffer the consequences of my actions.

When this little dust up goes away I will lay into a good stock of 22 ammo. 5,000 of the CCI Quiet 22 and 5,000 thunderbolts should do the trick. It may help stretch the ammo shortage out, but that doesn't bother me.

Rex
06-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Go to Gunbroker and do a search on .22 ammo. The only shortage I see is money to pay for it.

Down South
06-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Go to Gunbroker and do a search on .22 ammo. The only shortage I see is money to pay for it.

No thanks. If the 22 inventory ever does get back to where I can get my hands on it at a decent price. I'll start stocking up on it.

9.3X62AL
06-10-2013, 11:11 AM
^^THIS^^

I don't feed barracudas, unless there's a hook inserted in the bait. And they get released in the water, because they're slimy as hell.

fecmech
06-10-2013, 01:12 PM
The idea of the cheapest .22's at $.16 a shot is to me ludicrous! I have more than enough on hand as shooting .22's was never that big of a deal for me. I'll just keep popping away with my $.03 per round .38's and .45's.

gbrown
06-10-2013, 01:22 PM
I got enough components to load reduced loads for 2 10yr old grandsons so they can shoot 30/30, '06, 357 Herrett or (non reduced) 223. I'm like Down South, just wait and be patient, when it re-appears, make the purchases. Only thing I'm planning to buy in the near future is a 22 mold from NOE. If you feed nuisiance type critters, it just encourages them to hang around, I don't do that.

otter5555
06-10-2013, 05:20 PM
my son called today and said a store in his town had a bunch of 50 rnd boxes of 22lr priced at $4.99 + tax

he walked away

both he and i are shooting 5 cent 223,44 mag and 3030

why bother with high dollar rf

DanWalker
06-10-2013, 05:35 PM
^^THIS^^

I don't feed barracudas, unless there's a hook inserted in the bait. And they get released in the water, because they're slimy as hell.

AMEN!! I hope the gouging pricks pulling this ****, CHOKE on this ammo. They have now gone from simply profiteering from the shortage, to prolonging it. I laid in a good supply when it was available, one brick per payday. I am patently disgusted by this behavior, and hold those engaged in it in the absolute LOWEST regard. The ban on profanity on this site limits how strongly I can voice my disgust....

opos
06-10-2013, 05:55 PM
After the "original" ammo shortage back around the 2008 period....I decided to do an ammo a week purchase...same with components. Not big buys at all ...a little here and a little there...watched the local forums for people selling "left overs" when they sold their guns, etc...see someone with a thousand primers or a sealed bottle of powder..buy it....see a brick of 22..pick it up. Now here we are. I'm not smug but I'm not in the fray either..you couldn't sell me any of the inflated ammo or components and I'll not sell what I've got...When I want to load...I load..when I want to shoot...I shoot. I'm not replacing $20 bricks of 22 with $50 bricks and I'm not replacing $22 to $25 primers with $50-$60 ones either...I'm allotting my shooting...cut back just a bit...shooting a ton of milsurp junk that goes bang just fine and was so cheap it's embarassing. Got buddies that are wild eyed waiting in line to buy whatever they can get at the huge prices...grabbing everything in sight regardless of price or their actual need. It's like a feeding frenzy...This stuff is supposed to be fun....If I can't shoot I'll fish...if I can't fish I'll watch Hoppy on old time tv but to get my panties in a big knot about 22 long rifle ammo just doesn't work for me...When I run out I'll be out...hopefully I'll be faced with some prices that are lower than now but that's then..I'm tired of answering the phone before it rings...It's probably all going to collapse in on itself like it did before. I had one buddy that bought thousands of rounds of 380 to resell to all the folks that bought Bersa's, etc during the last mad rush...when the smoke cleared he was begging folks to buy his stash at what he'd paid for it or even less....I bet that's going to happen here too. Right now this is worse than "cabbage patch dolls" or "tickle me elmos" that were selling for hundreds of dollars so the kids were not "disappointed" at Christmas...and in June the dolls and toys were in the $.50 item bin at the garage sale.

Shoot em if you got em...and don't if you haven't.

Gliden07
06-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I totally agree!! I would rather shoot my .45 or 9mm and its cheaper!! I plan on getting an Airsoft gun so I can shoot in my basement too.

The idea of the cheapest .22's at $.16 a shot is to me ludicrous! I have more than enough on hand as shooting .22's was never that big of a deal for me. I'll just keep popping away with my $.03 per round .38's and .45's.

Down South
06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
I did buy a pellet gun to play with. I wasn't very impressed with it for a while but after a little tinkering and changing the trigger, it's become pretty accurate. Plus I got one of those backyard pellet traps so I can shoot it here without having to drive out to the range.

Nickle
06-10-2013, 06:45 PM
I follow 22 prices on Gunbroker off and on.

Seems to me that the sales are slowing drastically. Yeah, there's still a few idiots still buying at stupid prices, but there's much more ammo there now that's either bring much less, or not being bought.

I don't gouge, won't gouge, and will do without before buying from a gouger.

The upside of this shortage? I got off my butt, and am tooling up on swaging equipment and materials. Thankfully, I keep plenty of primers and powder on hand.

searcher4851
06-11-2013, 04:17 PM
With all the calibers available to me to shoot, I just don't shoot the .22 stuff much anymore. I still have a small stash of .22, but am in no hurry to add to it. I'll always find something to shoot whether it be bullets, pellets, arrows, and on occasion, a slingshot.
When things become more available, (at sensible prices) I'll replenish my inventory as needed. Not gonna get all wound up about it, just bide my time.

9.3X62AL
06-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Search, that's really the best idea. I still find it annoying that suckfish azzhats try to take advantage of folks, though--esp. the new folks in the hobby. Such practices serve as a disincentive to new shooters, and I am DEAD-SET AGAINST any practice or course of conduct that has that effect. Isn't it bad enough that the (expletives deleted) government throws up roadblocks, only to be abetted by rip-off artists in the private sector building speedbumps on the autobahn.

Four-Sixty
06-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I visited my LGS last night. They had about 20 different powders, and four types of primers in stock. They also had 22LR for about $50 a brick. It's showing up again.

I would speculate that people are going to get bored of this crisis and we'll have components sitting on the shelves again gathering dust. After all, with all of the hoardes that have been built up, could there even be a shortage anymore?

This to shall pass.

Cane_man
06-12-2013, 02:36 PM
i am thinking once the fall hunting season gets going people will be shopping less for 22LR and out hunting, and it may give inventories a chance to build up...

9.3X62AL
06-12-2013, 10:59 PM
i am thinking once the fall hunting season gets going people will be shopping less for 22LR and out hunting, and it may give inventories a chance to build up...

That works for me! Cottontail season commences here on 7/1, bring on those Mini-Mags @ $7/100 again.