PDA

View Full Version : Gold bullet ???

Skip62
05-30-2013, 10:32 PM
So I've got just a little bit of gold jewelry and was wondering if anyone ever melted it down and made a gold boolit? Could it hurt the mold?

Thanks
skip

lka
05-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Lol, I was just talking to my wife about this the other day, i thought it would be a good way to stash Silver

dverna
05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Melting point of gold is about 2000 degrees - Do no use an aluminum Lee mold to cast your bullet.

An iron mold may hold up for a couple of casts.

Don Verna

Skip62
05-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Melting point of gold is about 2000 degrees - Do no use an aluminum Lee mold to cast your bullet.

An iron mold may hold up for a couple of casts.

Don Verna

OK, I'm out on that deal. Thanks for the info, I had no idea it would be that much hotter than lead....WOW! ! !

MtGun44
05-30-2013, 11:11 PM
If you really want a gold boolit, cast one from parafin and take it to a
REAL jeweler, not some bozo jewelry salesman. They can make a "lost
wax casting" using the parafin boolit, altho they MIGHT need it made
from his particular wax. In any case, they are set up to do fine quality
casting of gold and silver, but they need a wax original. I have never
tried to cast wax in a boolit mold, but it should be doable.

Bill

Skip62
05-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Thanks Bill, I actually know a guy that used to have a jewelry business. Says he's still got all the tools, I'll give him a call. I just think it would be cool to have sitting in the reloading room.

flounderman
05-31-2013, 07:12 AM
With the price of gold around 1500 dollars an oz, probably better to have it in a safe.

Jeff R
05-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Skip,
If you can't find a jeweler that will make one, talk to a dental lab. They would have all the things needed to make a casting from a wax pattern.
Jeff

lka
05-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Thanks Bill, I actually know a guy that used to have a jewelry business. Says he's still got all the tools, I'll give him a call. I just think it would be cool to have sitting in the reloading room.

If done please post a picture

mikeym1a
05-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Gold is pretty and all, but, maybe it's just me. I think I'd go with silver boolits...............

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2013, 11:09 PM
m/[/url]

M-Tecs
05-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Just have one plated.

mikeym1a
06-01-2013, 04:24 AM
Silver ones to buy!

http://silverbulletbullion.com/

After buying a bunch of lead, I don't think I can afford any silver. Neat site!!! When funds permit, I think I'll get a few, once they get the .22!!!!

Alstep
06-01-2013, 01:08 PM
I vaguely recall years ago, reading about someone who did experiments using gold bullets. Maybe Ned Roberts in his book, The Bullets Flight From Powder To Target???

retread
06-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Wax bullets cast well in my molds. I use a candle mold release agent. Comes in an aerasol spray can. Use sparingly. I shoot these with primer only loads in my shop when the weather is to bad for too long.

Bent Ramrod
06-01-2013, 07:55 PM
It was C. W. Rowland who tried gold bullets in his bench rifles. He made sure he had a bullet trap setup that caught everything. He reported that gold bullets shot just as well, and no better, than lead ones.

PS Paul
06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Why I just finished casting a bunch of golden boolits! I then lit my cigar with one of my throwaway $100 bills, took my chauffeured limo to my private jet, flew over the state looking down at the little people and took my pick (twice) from my harem of sexy young model/actress types who were all squealing with delight at the site of me as I threw myself into their bosoms......

And THEN, I woke up!:kidding: ha ha!!

Skip62
06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
It was C. W. Rowland who tried gold bullets in his bench rifles. He made sure he had a bullet trap setup that caught everything. He reported that gold bullets shot just as well, and no better, than lead ones.

He actually shot them? WOW! ! ! That just strikes me as way cool. Of course I'm guessing gold wasn't the price it was today, but still.

Talked to my buddy, he said his brother has most of the tools they have left, he'd find out from if they could do it. If he can't it's not that big a deal, I won't spend any money on this. Just think it would be fun to have.

Rooster
06-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Pictures or it has not happened!

fcvan
06-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Talk about lead free projectiles! I would think that swaying a gold boolit would make more sense than trying to cast one. I would also think a good boolit trap would be essential

leeggen
06-01-2013, 11:55 PM
What would it weigh in relation to the same lead bullet from the same mold????
CD

mold maker
06-02-2013, 12:40 AM
The SG of gold is 19.8 so it would be considerable heavier. To swage gold, it would have to be pretty near pure. (24 K)
Lost wax casting would definately be the way to go. You could use much cheaper (10-14K gold)
I've got a friend with the equipment and he's a shooter. Bet I can talk him into it.
Thanks for the insperation.

jlchucker
06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
After buying a bunch of lead, I don't think I can afford any silver. Neat site!!! When funds permit, I think I'll get a few, once they get the .22!!!!

Yep. Neat site. Except I didn't see any mention of the great 30-30 there. :kidding:

Bagdadjoe
06-02-2013, 12:13 PM
So which would cost more per shot.....a 158gr golden 357 or a shot of famous (to some) Irish Persse 25 Year Old Pure Pot Still Whiskey? (the one known bottle of 125 year old hooch is for sale for $143,000) I believe I'll stick to lead and Buffalo Trace...not at the same time, however.

jonp
06-02-2013, 12:54 PM
If you really want a gold boolit, cast one from parafin and take it to a
REAL jeweler, not some bozo jewelry salesman. They can make a "lost
wax casting" using the parafin boolit, altho they MIGHT need it made
from his particular wax. In any case, they are set up to do fine quality
casting of gold and silver, but they need a wax original. I have never
tried to cast wax in a boolit mold, but it should be doable.

Bill

I've made wax castings with sand. I think you could do it, in fact I do not see why not it you use a boolit as a mold. I'm not sure why you would want gold boolits buy why not?

jonp
06-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Silver ones to buy!

http://silverbulletbullion.com/

better yet: http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/silver/silverbullets.shtml

This guy did the whole business with silver and lived to tell the tale, :wink:

If you want to buy some like I am for my sweeties Christmas Present try here:http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/zombie-silver-bullets/cPath,6

emorris
06-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Hoppes #12 will get the golding out of the barrel if it gets golded when shooting them.

jdgabbard
06-02-2013, 08:10 PM
He actually shot them? WOW! ! ! That just strikes me as way cool. Of course I'm guessing gold wasn't the price it was today, but still.

Talked to my buddy, he said his brother has most of the tools they have left, he'd find out from if they could do it. If he can't it's not that big a deal, I won't spend any money on this. Just think it would be fun to have.

It wasn't the price it is today, but the value wasn't cheaper either. Our economy was just that much better. You have to think, a dollar was worth .715 ounce of silver. Silver's spot price is $22-$23 depending on spot right now.