PDA

View Full Version : 6 for 6 !!

buck1
08-13-2005, 02:23 AM
I got my 434250 6 holer all debured. A smidg of lube and I was heating her up.
For two hours of casting last night, I got 8 boolits that I could keep. This is a known good alloy. I got the mold hot and still couldnt get any full boolits.
So today I broke out my little files. I cut a slight grove between the cavitys on one block from top to bottom and did the BruceB vent line tracing to them on all cavitys.
I Gently removed my filiengs and tryed again.
6 for 6 right from the word go! All the well filled boolits fall from the mold with ease!
The only bad part is this alloy starts out dead soft and takes 3 weeks to get to the 14 BHN I shoot. Kinda pain but I got a bunch of this stuff cheep and it casts well.
I could have water droped but I have to put the finishing touches on my last project first anyway. ....Buckl

Bass Ackward
08-13-2005, 07:59 AM
So today I broke out my little files.

The only bad part is this alloy starts out dead soft and takes 3 weeks to get to the 14 BHN I shoot. Kinda pain but I got a bunch of this stuff cheep and it casts well.

Buck,

EEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK! .... NOT FILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. I'm better. It could have been a Dremel.

Yours needs three to get there? Hmmmm.

buck1
08-14-2005, 01:18 PM
testing....

buck1
08-14-2005, 01:24 PM
I posted this 3 times allready, but the computer kept locking up!
One more time....
At browenells, I got small fine cutting riffler files. They cut cleaner than a scribe. It works well!!
No where near the cavitys.
The alloy is hospital radioactive shipping containers + 2% tin.
Its strange stuff...A 30 cal will air cool at Saeco 7 wile a 44 will air cool at Saeco 5. But in 3weeks the 44 will slowly harden to Saeco 7!
Strange but true...... Buck

felix
08-14-2005, 04:15 PM
The alloy is hospital radioactive shipping containers + 2% tin.
Its strange stuff...A 30 cal will air cool at Saeco 7 wile a 44 will air cool at Saeco 5. But in 3weeks the 44 will slowly harden to Saeco 7!

This is not strange, Buck! More mass means more heat retention, thus slower cooling, thus softer material up front. ... felix

buck1
08-14-2005, 06:32 PM
It drove me nuts for a wile. I was casting a 30 cal at the time, So I used that mold to test hardness.
Then when I was ready to cast the 44 I rechecked hardness with that mold. I thought I scre@ed up my mix somehow.
I got to try water dropping these. ....Buck