PDA

View Full Version : 401638 Leading

Michael J. Spangler
05-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Hi guys.

My friend and I have been messing with 40 cal and cast lead with poor results.

I tried a larger diameter boolit. Well over bore size.
I've tried slower powder. Universal clays
Now I went to powder coating. We had great results with that. It was slow and tedious to PC the bullets though.

Then we started discussing PB vs BB
The 401638 is a bevel base of course.

Do you guys think this is causing the issues? I've lubed all of the with carnuba red by the way. Do you think. I should try a softer lube?

I've checked all of the normal things. I do have a decent throat in the barrel, it's not like a 1911 that shaves lead. The bullets don't squish down during loading. I've pulled many to make sure.

Thanks in advance guys. I can't wait to get it right so I can shoot more 40.

Michael J. Spangler
05-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Oh and we haven't tried to heat treat them or water drop them yet.
I only say heat treat because I have a bunch cast and figure I might as well heat treat instead of casting more to be water dropped.

Michael J. Spangler
12-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Time to resurrect this old thread.

So the water dropping didn't help at all. I've used slower powder without any luck.

I was thinking maybe the bevel base was the issue but my lee 9mm is bevel base and they shoot fine at similar loadings.

Any other ideas? Should I give up and sell the gun and use the money to buy a 9mm? Should I buy hi tech coating and call it quits.

The only ones that didn't lead where powder coated. I was having issues with feeding though.
Any suggestions on oal length for these in a 40?
Thanks guys and gals