PDA

View Full Version : Rusty smelting pot

bsibjr
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
To start off I have never cast anything , but am looking to get into it. I recently
purchased a bunch of reloading components from a family who's dad had just passed.
When i started going through the boxed I found some lead ( I think pure ) and a pair of small cast iron pots, I tried to clead the pots but there is still a considerable
amount of oxidation, Is it safe to smelt lead in ? Im just doing ingots. Thanks.

Lloyd Smale
09-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Id give them a good heating first to make sure theres no moisture in them then go for it.

44man
09-20-2007, 11:29 AM
That's common with cast iron. If you throw a bunch of lead in the cold pot before putting it on the heat and heat it together, moisture won't be a problem. Just don't pour any molten lead in the cold pot.

KCSO
09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Rusty Smeltingpot, That is one cool name for the forum.

Back to the topic...
As long as you don't get flakes or rust particles in the lead the colour of the pot (Blue, black or well browned) makes no difference. I have 4 smelting pots and they all are a uniform brown.

Cloudpeak
09-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Every once-in-awhile when my pots get really gunky, I chuck a wire brush in the cordless drill and clean that stuff out. Wear a mask and do it outside if you decided to do this.

Cloudpeak

jonk
09-20-2007, 02:32 PM
My pots are all well rusted. I've never had issues. I also have some rust in my electric pots that doesn't hurt anything- though it bothers me cosmetically.

bsibjr
09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the answers guys, I wasnt sure if the rust would get into the alloy and cause a problem

pumpguy
09-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Even if it does flake off some, it won't hurt anything. Those flakes are lighter than lead and will float to the top. Flux well and just scrape the gunk off.