PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Sun

waksupi
05-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Anyone planning a trip to Glacier National Park, the forecast date for Going to the Sun road to be open is June 21. Still 41 feet of snow they are clearing up on top. The rest of the park is open.

Finster101
05-30-2013, 10:27 AM
It's a great road! Did it on the way to AK in 2010. A lot of construction on it then though.

waksupi
05-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Rule of thumb for travel in Montana;

The shortest distance between two points, is always under construction.

bear67
05-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Planning on doing that road in mid July--on our way to Seattle. Two couples traveling together and were going to fly. We decided that for airfare for 4 buys a lot of gasoline and lodging. We both own RVs, but this will be in the wife's mega cab Dodge as it gets the best gas mileage with the most room. We have traveled Montana before, but never Glacier.

Finster101
05-30-2013, 11:09 AM
We did it on the Harleys so fuel was not an issue, time was. 11,860 miles from FL to AK and back in three weeks. I would love to do it again but can't see it in the near future. Top of the World highway is fantastic as well if you have the opportunity. Thanks Ric, I passed those photos along to my riding buddies.

dakotashooter2
05-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Been there a couple times but really want to go back on a bike or open top vehicle for maximum viewing...........

onceabull
05-30-2013, 03:29 PM
A bucket list item: Do the Going to the Sun road E.to W. in a flatbed truck loaded with crated chickens, then writing a song: about it...[smilie=2:

waksupi
05-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Planning on doing that road in mid July--on our way to Seattle. Two couples traveling together and were going to fly. We decided that for airfare for 4 buys a lot of gasoline and lodging. We both own RVs, but this will be in the wife's mega cab Dodge as it gets the best gas mileage with the most room. We have traveled Montana before, but never Glacier.

I would suggest taking the tour bus over Going to the Sun. Leave the driving to them. Eliminates white knuckles, and saves your brakes.

A bucket list item: Do the Going to the Sun road E.to W. in a flatbed truck loaded with crated chickens, then writing a song: about it...

There was some over the road trucker that took his 18 wheeler across it one time. He was scared to death. No idea how he got through the tunnel.

Finster101
05-30-2013, 05:46 PM
This was the view I had....72045

shooter93
05-30-2013, 05:51 PM
If you're going to the sun Ric....you need to go at night or you'll burn up....groannnnnnn....smiles.

MT Gianni
05-30-2013, 11:56 PM
If it is your first time over it, drive to Logan Pass via hwy 2 and drive it with your lane on the inside.

smoked turkey
05-31-2013, 12:16 AM
Glacier National Park is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places on the planet. The Road to the Sun is a must do, but better plan on an all day affair.

Jim Flinchbaugh
05-31-2013, 10:13 AM
I've seen lots of bikers traverse the road with GoPro cameras mounted on their helmets and BIG smiles on their faces

GL49
05-31-2013, 10:32 AM
We did it on the Harleys so fuel was not an issue, time was. 11,860 miles from FL to AK and back in three weeks. I would love to do it again but can't see it in the near future. Top of the World highway is fantastic as well if you have the opportunity. Thanks Ric, I passed those photos along to my riding buddies.
I'm impressed. The best I've done is about 3200 miles in 7 days on a Norton. By that time, my bottom side was really getting tired of sitting on that stock seat. I don't remember the hurt while riding the Going to the Sun highway, but across the middle of Nevada where there's not much of a scenery change, Ouch.

km101
05-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Rule of thumb for travel in Montana;

The shortest distance between two points, is always under construction.

The same is true here in Texas! I have lived near IH-35 since 1969 and there has been construction on it somewhere between Dallas and the Oklahoma line for the entire time!

Glacier National Park is on my bucket list for the next time I am up that way. I've seen lots of great pictures, but I really want to see it live. We don't get scenery like that around here!

Beau Cassidy
05-31-2013, 11:13 PM
A bucket list item: Do the Going to the Sun road E.to W. in a flatbed truck loaded with crated chickens, then writing a song: about it...[smilie=2:

Somebody already beat you to it except the song was Wolf Creek Pass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6LzWZYWpOU