PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

mountainman
05-30-2013, 01:38 AM
Howdy all. I managed to pick up a 36 caliber cap lock this weekend. It has a 2 piece stock with pieces missing. So I have to put a new stock on it any way. I am wondering if it is possible or even worth while to try to convert this rifle over to a flinter. I got it for a song and it was a kit rifle made about 30 years ago but never finished. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

missionary5155
05-30-2013, 05:50 AM
Good morning
Sure you can. Anything is possible with enough effort in the right direction.
If the barrel has a threaded hole for the percusion unit to screw into this can be plugged or a liner screwed into it. If the barrel has a Bolster type percussion unit that can be ground off, hole threaded and plugged. Then later a new hole drilled where the flint pan lines up.
Much will depend how the barrel is mounted into a new stock and the elevation of the hole that now is there. Home tooled individuals do this process with complete and safe results.
Last time up north there I changed out the locks on a double flint shoothbore requiring the vent holes to be plugged and moved. Simple mechanical process with drill, tap, screws and expoxy.
Mike in Peru

Nobade
05-30-2013, 08:05 AM
If you tell us what brand and model it is, we may be of more help. Some guns were sold as either flint or percussion and converting them is a simple matter. Others are not so easy.

-Nobade

waksupi
05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
I would just cut off the breech end, re-breech it, and build from there.

mountainman
06-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I've been busy. The brand is jukar that is the only marking on the barrel besides a serial number. I like the idea of rebreeching the barrel I may do that as that wouldn't be to hard or costly to do. I'll look at the cap assembly and see if it is inter changeable.
Thanks for the info.
Craig