PDA

View Full Version : Linotype Woes

gvanzeggelaar
05-29-2013, 09:25 PM
I'll be the first to say that I love Linotype, especially the shiny boolits it makes. However I always find it so sticky when trying to get boolits to release from mold.

Mold works good with with other alloys but sticks real bad with Linotype. I have checked it for burs and found none. The mold is a 311299 by NOE. It also happens with other molds I have used, in particular the 22 NATO from Mihec

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance

williamwaco
05-29-2013, 09:35 PM
I find that when a mold that normally doesn't stick begins to stick, I am casting too fast.

I can usually fix this by slowing down the cadence.

Sometimes I leave the mold open in front of a fan for 30+ seconds while inspecting the bullets I just dropped.

This does not slow you down as much as it sounds like because you have nothing but match grade bullets you don't need to inspect later.

detox
05-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Linotype fills the mould better than other alloys...even more so at lower casting temps (600-650). You can increase the melt temp so that boolits cast a little smaller. Maybe 750-800 will reduce diameter enough for faster release? I am not sure.

Maybe you can burnish or debur inside sharp edges of mould with a hard popsicle stick.

runfiverun
05-29-2013, 09:40 PM
it shrinks less, that's why it pours bigger boolits.

detox
05-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Are you using a ladle or bottom pour furnace. If using a ladle try to reduce pour pressure by putting less lead in ladle before pouring into mould. Or hold ladle away from sprue plate then pour into sprue hole without holding ladle against sprue hole.

If using a bottom pour furnace you can reduce pressure/flow by adjusting nut and bolt. Also hold mould away from spout about 1/4"

dverna
05-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Lay the sprue plate on a wet towel to speed up cooling but keep the melt temperature up.

gvanzeggelaar
05-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks a lot for the help. I will give these suggestions a try.