PDA

View Full Version : I can't remember, perhaps someone may know ?

casca
05-29-2013, 07:36 PM
greetings,
I have been going through using my casting molds. have not done it for quite some time.
I have a lee 375-160 mold . only black powder I have is 3- 50 cal rifles and 1- 44 pistol.

could there be another application for this mold ? I bought it for some reason ?

1 more question, how can something so simple as lubing some bullets become a major pain in the *** ?
what a production this has become come. how many lube 45 acp and 9mm ?

thanks
casca

Bzcraig
05-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Brother Berliner, I lube 9mm but chose to use Lee Alox/White Label Xlox tumble lube because of the expense of lubesizers and pan lubing just looked like a serious pain in the keester.

Hamish
05-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Many are those who have forsaken the lubrisizer for much of their shooting:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

Simpler yet, with no stickiness: (post #344)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free/page18

fcvan
05-30-2013, 01:10 AM
It sounds like you have a conical mold for a 36 cal percussion revolver. I have the conical mold for a 44 Remington copy and its actually 45 cal. The .36 Colts are decent shooters.

MtGun44
05-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer for moderate quantities,
Star for massive quantities. No big deal, IME.

Bill

drsfmd
05-30-2013, 02:50 PM
I double coat with Alox. I squirt a little in a baggie and throw a few dozen boolits in at a time. Swish it around with my hand until all is covered. Sit them nose down (SWC) on tin foil overnight. Relube the same way, sit them nose up on tinfoil for 24 hours, then lay flat for an additional 24 hours. Then package for future use. Unlike many of you, I don't really *like* casting, but I do it because I have access to free lead and it saves me tons of money. I will generally do at least a year's worth in one sitting.

ku4hx
05-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I lube all my cast boolits ... always have. As to it being a science project, yes it certainly can be. And if you're an avid experimenter, it's a science project of an order of magnitude greater. But the thing is, that's what boolits casters do. If all I wanted to do was shoot and nothing else, I'd buy nothing but factory ammunition. But I like to get involved in the process and increase my understanding. Maybe even save a buck or two but that may be an illusion.

It's like cooking, you can eat everything prepared by a restaurant or just what might come in a box. I prefer to cook from scratch because I know I can create a better meal than Chef Boyardee, Tombstone Pizza, Publix Pimento Cheese and etc.

For me, casting and loading is a process and a journey. It has been for over forty years.

dilly
05-31-2013, 01:07 PM
People seem to mostly have addressed your lubing question. I agree that tumble lubing works well for people who find lubing to be a chore.

As to what about the other mold, is it possible you could have purchased that to be able to use the boolit (cast from soft lead) as a slug when slugging barrels?

Wayne Smith
05-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Or do you have an old 38 S&W or Colt laying around??

johntkd
06-01-2013, 04:57 PM
the 375 mold could have also been to sabot a 44 not sure if poly patch still has them available or not but they use to sell sabots to load 44 pistols and 45 cal rifles, this was all before bigger companies started offering them pre made sabot and all .