PDA

View Full Version : Another This Old Pot.... Rusty Lyman Mould Master II, BBQ paint or Bluing??

Ziptar
05-29-2013, 10:06 AM
I saw this on eBay and grabbed it http://www.ebay.com/itm/121115457576.

I was interested in and going to wait for the new Mag-25 but, figured for the price why not.

Its supposed to arrive tomorrow, assuming it works as it should I was thinking I'd take it apart and blast the rusty parts and refinish them.

Was the original factory finish blued, painted, or anodized? Does bluing hold up to the heat? Should I blue the parts or just paint them with BBQ paint?

Thanks.

oih
05-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Factory finish was blue. Will eventually disappear. Can't anodize it, that only works with aluminum. Even BBQ-paint can't handle the heat of molten lead. I'd just heat and oil-quench the outer parts (Heat the parts to some 200°C and then quench it in for instance car engine oil.), gives a black/blue reasonable rustresistant finish, and leave the inside of the pot bare. When I plan to store my pot for a longer time, I empty it, clean it on the inside and oil it well. Tried leaving it full of lead, but the lead shrinks and moisture gets between the lead and the pot wall, and then it rusts. Maybe if I did cast more often .... ;-)

Řivind, Norway

seagiant
05-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Hi,
Those are pretty good pots! I know a guy that has a brand new one in the box never opened but he won't sale it! Maybe car header paint would work?

Ziptar
05-31-2013, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the input. The pot is delayed and hasn't arrived yet. Supposed to be here today now.

oih, I like your oil quenching idea. Years ago I worked with a group that traveled around the country doing jousting at Medieval and Renaissance fairs. I got a chance to see the blacksmith that made all of their armor shields and equipment at work one day.

That method is exactly how he finished what he made. He would coat it with straight 30 weight non detergent motor oil and bake it. He would usually do it it several times leaving several coats.

I recall that it it stood up to use and abuse of jousting and broadswords pretty well. It looked pretty neat to boot. I think I'll go that route.

Mike Kerr
06-05-2013, 12:13 AM
So Ziptar,
Did it arrive yet? Will you post pictures after you Oil Treat It ?

Ziptar
06-05-2013, 07:50 AM
It arrived Friday. I haven't had time and Its been too hot to give it a full on test. I did give it a quick test on Saturday. I plugged it in and dropped a couple of reject bullets in it and they melted. Now that the weather has cooled down, I am going to run a full pot. See how it does with ingots and check the spout and see if it drips. Probably do that tonight.

Once that is done I am going to take it apart and oil quench the parts. Its supposed to rain this weekend so I may not get it done until next weekend. I'm am wondering if for oil quenching if I should just leave the rust on the parts to give the oil something to sink into. Not sure on that yet. I have been doing some reading up on oil quenching. Linseed Oil looks to be the way to go. Its traditionally what is used to finish / blacken wrought iron. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showpost.php?p=463720&postcount=5

I'll post pictures when I get it done.

NoZombies
06-05-2013, 08:29 AM
I've got two just like it (well, maybe a little more beat up) and I like them a lot!

I'm sure the pot will do quite well for you.

oih
06-06-2013, 03:37 AM
Linseed Oil looks to be the way to go. Raw or boiled Lineseed oil? Anyway; don't leave lineseed oil on rags or papertowels laying around. Lineseedoil will selfcombust. Not like an atomic bomb, but enough to start fires. Stains are also near impossible to get off clothes, even more so than mineral oil. It also has a rather funky scent, bit like cod liver oil. It does however have a long track record for rust- and weather proofing, so I believe it's a sensible choice.

Řivind

JRLesan
06-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Try spray on mold release: flat black, inexpensive and designed for the job...

odinohi
06-08-2013, 12:52 AM
I just used the barbeque paint. Used the pot several times and it seems ok. Good luck with yours.

Ziptar
06-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Try spray on mold release: flat black, inexpensive and designed for the job...

Interesting Idea. You mean something like this? http://slideproducts.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?skucat=441

Do you use it on your bullet molds too?

KyBill
06-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Any one ever try Pam made for Grills . I have used it made for high heat. (Do not wire brush to a new shine leave a little rough) coat just enough to cover wipe off excess .