PDA

View Full Version : saeco#630 cowboy boolit

castshooter-too
09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
hello fellow casters been a while since I posted.was wondering why ther's no discussion about this boolit on the board?I use this as a mainstay in my 30-06 loads for military and sporters and my version casts at .312" and am able to shoot this unsized in all my 30"s [ I've got a few]; in the '06 I use 11.2/REDDOT.Have'nt shot any other charges because I got lucky on my first try.It met all of my criteria of low recoil,accuracy and low cost. Sort of my version of the Lee soupcan boolit.Any comments?[smilie=1:

castshooter-too
09-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Forgive me for my ignorance,
I want to take this time to edit my original post.

First off the details of this boolit:
My mould casts at .312" using hardball alloy 16bhn. certified.
weight at 140gr. w/ javelina lube.
Nose metplat at .175"
Length at .80"

Range report:
Using my 116 savage allweather with 10x bushnell AO
I can keep 10 shots in the ten ring of a 50ft. smallbore
rifle target using 11.3gr. RED DOT in new FL SIZED 30-06
cases and fed.210 primers. May I note that this bbl. is a
factory ss original. don't have pics. but can be assured
the details are correct.:-D

My original intent for this load was to duplicate 300 sherwood power.
believe me it has all the power needed to take medium game like
eastern coyotes and foxes to 200yds. Having shot woodchucks
to 150yds. this load does it for me.

Thanks, BRUCE IN NY

shooting on a shoestring
09-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Interesting. What velocity do you get? Is this is a pistol boolit?

I've never cast with anything but Lyman (for the most part) and Lee (only the last year or two). Do you have anything to say about your Saeco mould? I don't hear of them being used much.

castshooter-too
09-21-2007, 09:14 AM

I've never cast with anything but Lyman (for the most part) and Lee (only the last year or two). Do you have anything to say about your Saeco mould? I don't hear of them being used much.

Shoestring;
I get approx. 1500 fps using 11.3 REDDOT IN 30-06
NS cases not FL like I posted above.

Saeco moulds don't get much attention on this board
because of cost.
LEE moulds are cheep and so am I. but know quality
when I shoot it.

BRUCE IN NY

Buckshot
09-21-2007, 10:05 PM
............Yup, reporting on Seaco, RCBS, NEI, Raphine, and a few others are spotty due to less then comparatively "In depth ownership". While there are LOTS of people who own these moulds, there are a much smaller number who own an inventory of them compared to Lyman. Lyman also has a very long history so there are just more of them out there.

Similar to the Saeco #630 in intended use was a group buy that was run for a 30 cal 150gr FNPB in Lee 6 cavity blocks. If you check:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19555

You'll find some results of it's use in the 30-'06, and on the same forum in the 30-30 also.

...............Buckshot

castshooter-too
09-22-2007, 12:01 AM
\

Buckshot;

too bad that group buy was'nt a castiron mould.

I'M NOT AN ALUMINUM FAN!

not shouting.

Thanks, BRUCE IN NY:(

Newtire
09-22-2007, 01:20 AM

I have several Saeco molds that I got before things went crazy on prices on E-bay. I lucked onto a 4-cavity 150 gr. flatnose called the #316 and didn't think it would be juch of a shooter but it is a real accurate plinker in .30-06 using 11.5 gr. Unique. The Saeco #322 I recently got for my .32 peestola is a real real nice shooter as well. I got a real good one in .243 and another in .44. Like i said, picked them up used but bought 2 of them new. In my opinion Saeco molds are real top notch. I favor them over Lyman and they are about tied with RCBS in my book. I still am a big Lee fan though! If it shoots good, ya have to love it.