PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry

Arisaka99
05-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, some of you know me, some don't, but those that do, know that this year I'll hit the magical age in the firearm community, 18. One of the beauties of living in Virginia is that at 18, we can own and open carry pistols. I intend to do so fully, until I turn 21. The only problem is, most of the info I encounter on the web is tips on CC, not OC. I figured with such an array of people on the board, y'all would have some good tips and tricks that you could share. I would greatly appreciate any advice given! If it helps, I am 6'5", fairly stock build, and plan on carrying a full size 1911 cocked and locked, and I'm a lefty. Thanks guys!

LUBEDUDE
05-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Congrats on turning 18 and excercising your right!

I carry a 1911 cocked and locked as well but concealed. Be prepared for noneducated types to point out how your gun is "unsafe" because it is cocked! Be patient and polite with them.

smokeywolf
05-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Hope you've got an ambidextrous thumb safety.

Jim
05-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Chris, you might wanna ask Wayne to teach you how to deal with confrontations. When you open carry, you can rest assured it's comin'.

300savage
05-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Yeah I got a little advice. Good leather thumb break holster with a little forward cant. El Paso saddlery sells a cool one with the stars and stripes tooled into it. Wear it just behind your left hipbone with one in the pipe. Wear it with pride like it just grew there until you would rather leave home without your undies than without your pistol. Wear it until you uncomfortable without it. Not because you are paranoid, but because you are prepared. Prepared to use it to protect your life and those you care about. And not only those people but even those you don't care about, even those who would condemn or sneer at you for wearing it. And
Pray that you never have to use it to end a persons life, but also pray that if you do ever have to pull it for that reason you use it with a cool mind and you shoot it straight. And read all you can about how to handle the aftermath of a shooting so you don't become the victim of the system.

I know I would feel more comfortable with you around watching me and my families back, as I hope you would knowing I will be watching yours.

We hang together, or...

Blammer
05-28-2013, 09:37 PM
this may sound really stupid but....

GO TAKE a CCH class, yes it will NOT be anygood for your CCH as it will likely expire, but the INFORMATION you get will be PRICELESS! and well worth it. you will find out exactly where you can and cannot carry CCH, then just apply it to Open carry.

They will give you LOTS of information and WHAT the LEO's will expect and how to act to keep it all calm and cool.

Get a thumbreak holster, its' MORE secure. Open carry is sorta important that way.

Rule one in open carry. If someone who works at a business or owns it asks you to leave you must. NO argueing, it doesn't matter. You must comply. Don't get mad, just feel sorry for them.

Hamish
05-28-2013, 09:43 PM
What Blammer said. Excellent advice.

Congrats on being a big Lefty, rocking the 1911, we are pretty magnificent specimens!

km101
05-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Why until you turn 21?

As stated, be prepared for confrontation, from both civilians who don't know/care about open carry laws and Law Enforcement who are either uncomfortable with open carry or are ignorant of the law. And yes, there are LEO's who don't know the law and you might run into one. Be calm, be courteous, and be professional, but stand up for your rights. You need to be prepared to show them the law in writing if necessary. Having a printed copy on your person would be a good idea.

We are trying to get open carry here in Texas, so I have studied some of the laws and corresponded with several "experts" on CCW and open carry. Some people don't recommend open carry because you can become a target for an armed bad guy that you are not aware of in a robbery situation. This is something that you have already decided for yourself, so you must be especially aware when you are carrying openly. The bad guys can see your weapon and you could become a target just like uniformed LEO's in any situation. You have to be very aware of your surroundings, especially when carrying openly.

It would also be a good idea to talk to an attorney and get some guidelines on how to handle yourself in the event you are ever involved in a shooting situation. You don't want to be stressed and excited with adrenaline pumping and have to make decisions at the scene as to how to respond to questions, or whether or not to make an immediate statement to law enforcement.

These are things you need to get advice on, and make decisions about, before the situation occurs not in the heat of the moment.

Congratulations on coming of age and deciding to exercise your rights! And on being a Lefty, there are lots of us good people!

country gent
05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Contact your states attorney generals website and search for the open carry laws or ask for them. Get them from there and who sent them to you. Keep these or a copy of handy, you likely need them at sometime. Ohio has open carry but other than on home property or hunting most would rather carry concealed. Saves having the law called on you every time you go out.

TXGunNut
05-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Agreed on the Concealed Carry class. The one in Texas has info on safety, conflict resolution, verbal judo, justified use of force, shooting aftermath, and much more that should be, but isn't taught to peace officers. Cheapest insurance you'll ever buy.
And when asked if cocked & locked is "dangerous" the correct answer is not "I certainly hope so!" It may have worked for a certain Texas Ranger but I can't advise it.

otter5555
05-28-2013, 11:33 PM
it's open carry where i live and MANY exercise the right. i only go to a town about once a month but carry simply because it's my right and a right not utilized is one that is easily taken away. the LEO's here in the mountains tend to be more used to open carry but they are NOT our friends. i think it unnerves them to know that there is a growing number of people that are better trained and more proficient than they are.

sundog
05-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Otter, by your own admission, you are 18 yo. You are not yet fully equipped mentally to understand the ramifications of things that happen when humans interact with one another. YOU might think so, and maybe you have matured beyond the norm for your years. You need to understand how others will see you. Think carefully about where you are placing yourself...

MtGun44
05-29-2013, 12:19 AM
When I was 20, I clearly remember (40+ yrs later) marveling at the stupid
choices I had made at 17 and 18 that could have gotten me killed. I am
certain I was not a paragon of maturity at 20, but it was clear to me
at that time that there was a very big change in my decision making processes
in two years. No offense, please, this is literally a physical and chemical
change in a young brain.

Be careful. Be safe.

Bill

300savage
05-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Apparently both he and the state of Virginia think he is capable and qualified. From this point on he will need to do as we all do when we choose to open carry ,read, listen and learn. We learn responsibility not through time nor age, but from accepting it.
From the way he has presented himself, and his willingness to ask for advice shows me that he is not a common teen.

Let no man tell you that you are not ready mentally, you are a man now, I am sure that you will act accordingly.

x101airborne
05-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Sundog, lets go easy on him. I dont know him personally, but I will stall my opinion until I do.
My 10 year old son is more of a man than some 40 year olds and I do allow him to carry a 32 caliber single six.
Lets give the man the respect he is due till he does something to prove us wrong.
I do agree that at 18, sometimes the body overrides the mind, and I am the poster child for that. But without finite proof of immaturity, I will give confidence that he is here to learn like the rest of us. And I think we have some of the BEST teachers here to help him along.

Copper75
05-29-2013, 01:04 AM
+1 on taking a CC course. LOTS of good info there.

I personally don't like open carry. You make yourself a target in more ways than one. I'm not saying don't carry, just carry concealed.

Good thumb break holster is a must. And practice, practice, practice. If you can't hit what your shooting at you're not doing ANYONE any good.

My opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Been carrying for over 25 years.

bgoff_ak
05-29-2013, 05:05 AM
I open carry in the field ( middle of no where alaska when fishing/ hunting) we have an OC /CC Up here. in town I only CC, with a retention holster. My carry is a kimber compact and I never keep it loaded in the pipe ( let's be realistic about about you deploying this vs shooting your self in the butt. Work on your deployment ( draw) it takes but a fraction of a second to chamber a round. Besides in most cases you will be going the other way.i say this with the assumption that you are not duty bound. Also some thing to think about guns make some people very uncomftable. Open carry I have always felt was more of a macho thing. There are commitments you need to make if you want to carry full time... Some really suck. Plan on shopping on places that allow you to OC/CC. There are some places you will not be allowed no matter what. You will not be allowed to carry on campus meaning you need to pull over and secure it before you are on campus. Plan on spending 15 plus min talking to the pd very now and then. When your friends are fishing and drinking you won't be allowed to and carry. The last thing is ( they should teach you in your CCW class the escalation of violiance ) you will never get in a fight again and in most cases walking away feeling like some one has gotten the better of you is going to happen. I guess after my ramble I would say

The law says you can carry, you need to ask what are the reasons you want to carry, and are there life changes that are required, are you willing to make them.

As for the OC / CC making others around you in the current political environment not jumpy is just another thing to think about.

I'll finish this up by saying. I had my CC when I was 22. I was legal to carry, but I was not ready to carry. Some years and a lot of classes later.... Hard to know the person you will be when your 40 when your 18.

Lloyd Smale
05-29-2013, 05:24 AM
Open carry is legal in MI too. Once in a while when heading to camp ill strap on a sixgun open carry style. In in this very rural area it will raise eyebrows when i go into a store or gas station. It just makes people unconfortable.

Ajax
05-29-2013, 05:52 AM
It makes people uncomfortable because it is not the norm. The media has made a huge effort to portray anyone with a gun as either a cop or a bad guy. It is one of the things we as responsible gun owners should be working to change.

Andy

6bg6ga
05-29-2013, 06:05 AM
For reasons some have already mentioned I personally do not feel that open carry is either needed or a smart move. Open carry will certainly open you up to verbal abuse and comments. My suggestion is concealed carry as there is absolutely no reason to flaunt the ability to open carry. I personally have been challenged when carrying my 1911 officers in a concealed mode when it was seen by some customers at Walmart when simply loading some dog food into a grocery cart. Open carry in my opinion only serves to throw fuel on the fire of those so brain washed that guns are an evil.

Joe

Arisaka99
05-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Gentlemen, I appreciate the advice. To answer the question, I want to open carry because I feel a need to protect me and mine when we are out and about, and pray that if I'm in an aurora, or a VT scenario, that pardon my French, but nail that ****er in his tracks and keep him from killing innocents.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-29-2013, 08:01 AM
As more people open carry, the public will get more used to seeing it. It may take some time or even a whole generation, but if we really want to keep our rights , we will have to use our rights. Here in Illinois, we are close to getting concealed carry. A whole lot of people think that is very strange. We have been under very strict gun control for about 50 years now. It will take awhile for the citizens of this state to see that carrying a weapon around with you is one of your rights and not something crazy. Just my opinion though.

pdawg_shooter
05-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Kansas has had open carry forever. I am near 62 now and still strap on a 45 whenever I feel the need. Hey, It IS my right!

300savage
05-29-2013, 10:53 AM
I am struggling here to try and say in the most loving and considerate and Christian manner,, for Gods sake grow a set !
If we allow the pathetic ,spineless misinformed and hopelessly mistaken empty sack politically correct dweebs out there to dictate our behavior through their sensitive sensibilities,, well then shame on us.
Its no wonder our back has been against the wall.
If we allow some weak kneed widdle down his pants leg at the first hint of real danger pencil pushing super civilized yuppie to influence us with his or her dissaproving scowl or comment then shame on us.

If we allow anything other than tactical advantage to cause us to carry concealed rather than openly then we disrespect and fail to appreciate and honor those many thousands of men and brave women who have fought and gave all so that we could.
And once again shame on us.
So say what you will, rationalize your rights away for the sake of public opinion to appease the same folks who elected our current president.
I say for Gods sake grow a set.
Please.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
,too!

gray wolf
05-29-2013, 11:28 AM
I am struggling here to try and say in the most loving and considerate and Christian manner,, for Gods sake grow a set !
If we allow the pathetic ,spineless misinformed and hopelessly mistaken empty sack politically correct dweebs out there to dictate our behavior through their sensitive sensibilities,, well then shame on us.
If we allow some weak kneed widdle down his pants leg at the first hint of real danger pencil pushing super civilized yuppie to influence us with his or her dissaproving scowl or comment then shame on us.

If we allow anything other than tactical advantage to cause us to carry concealed rather than openly then we disrespect and fail to appreciate and honor those many thousands of men and brave women who have fought and gave all so that we could.
So say what you will, rationalize your rights away for the sake of public opinion to appease the same folks who elected our current president.
Please.
I would have put what is above in a quote but it comes out to small that way and someone might miss it. I can't believe the excuses we make for the Sheep and the extent we go through to apiece them.

bgoff_ak
05-29-2013, 04:14 PM
I must say even I feel uncomfortable when I see someone open carry's in Anchorage or out in about in Alaska, Ive seen to many idiots… common sense is not to common. The problem with gun owners is there is an equal or greater number of them out there are dumb as rocks. I’m not saying it’s not your right… but let’s be honest responsible gun owners are the minority. I’ve said my peace about CC and discretion so I’ll leave it at that.

As for the tactile comments: you can’t every day carry and be on alert 24/7 no more than you can carry a hammer and hit every nail you see. If you think you’re the guy who is going to save the world from the next big super attack… you should probably not every day carry. I think that some people still see this as a right to keep gun on their hip, it’s a tool and when you every day carry it more of an out of the way accessory, do you need every one in the world to see your wearing a watch…, why then do we need to see you wearing a gun ?

As for
“pathetic ,spineless empty sack politically correct dweebs through their sensitive sensibilities”
Yes, in my every day carry I am very PC, spineless and have sensitive sensibilities. There is no doubt in my mind that with my carry I am the winner in almost all out comes. I highly recommend some classes… these will go over your liability, criminal / civil torts, state rules etc etc. As with the right to carry the law is yours to know ! it does your family no good if you’re in jail serving 20.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-29-2013, 05:00 PM
carry.

felix
05-29-2013, 05:10 PM
I agree with Corky (Sundog) 1000 percent! Look at the divorce rate compared to years ago. Emotional maturity has gone backwards, whereas physical and intellectual comprehension has gone foward. Most problems deal with emotions out of control! Nobody likes their intellect challenged these days for they know better. Yeah! Right! ... felix

300savage
05-29-2013, 05:56 PM
I must say even I feel uncomfortable when I see someone open carry's in Anchorage or out in about in Alaska, Ive seen to many idiots… common sense is not to common. The problem with gun owners is there is an equal or greater number of them out there are dumb as rocks. I’m not saying it’s not your right… but let’s be honest responsible gun owners are the minority. I’ve said my peace about CC and discretion so I’ll leave it at that.

As for the tactile comments: you can’t every day carry and be on alert 24/7 no more than you can carry a hammer and hit every nail you see. If you think you’re the guy who is going to save the world from the next big super attack… you should probably not every day carry. I think that some people still see this as a right to keep gun on their hip, it’s a tool and when you every day carry it more of an out of the way accessory, do you need every one in the world to see your wearing a watch…, why then do we need to see you wearing a gun ?

As for
“pathetic ,spineless empty sack politically correct dweebs through their sensitive sensibilities”
Yes, in my every day carry I am very PC, spineless and have sensitive sensibilities. There is no doubt in my mind that with my carry I am the winner in almost all out comes. I highly recommend some classes… these will go over your liability, criminal / civil torts, state rules etc etc. As with the right to carry the law is yours to know ! it does your family no good if you’re in jail serving 20.

No really let's be honest shall we? The truth is that responsible gun owners are greatly, listen close now and watch my lips,, are GREATLY in the MAJORITY.

Whose side are you actually on? You sound like a poster child for gun control.

southpaw
05-29-2013, 07:01 PM

Please.

I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Lets just presume that some are right and we don't need open carry and we let them take it away/ give it up. What's next? Concealed carry?

I also beleive that the majority of gun owners are responsible. That goes for those that open carry and concle carry aswell.

To the op do as others have suggested and read and know ALL of your laws. Take some classes, it can't hurt. It is a great responcibility not to be taken lightly.

Jerry Jr.

country gent
05-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Heres what hes in for ona larger scale. 10 -12 years ago I started using a cane do to balance issues caused by Multiple Schlrocis. I didnt like the canes available, I wanted one a little nicer and with more style and heritage. Im of irish decent. So I fired up the wood lathe glued 4 3/4" x 34" strips of walnut together. Made a fixture and planed a tapered hex 3/4'' at the tip 1 3/8" at the top. Made an offset ball 2 1/2" dia and glued it all together. cut and set to need length and installed a rubber tip. Many coats of hand rubbed boiled linseed oil later it was done. A beautiful grain pattern and something diffrent. Ive had medical equipment slaes men ask where I got it.
No for the kicker twice once in Menards and once in a Target store while shopping with the cane resting in the cart ( a cart is a very effective walker) Ive had people come up pick up the cane and tell me it was nothing but a club and should be illegal. Oh and there was once at the local gun shop when a gentleman came up and said basically the same thing, this time the owners wife spoke up with Its better than him on the floor. If people are that concerned over the size shape of a cane or walking stick whats going to happen with a gun hanging out. As a side note to this my cane did pass the airline to fly at the local airport as the only metal is the washer in the rubber tip. I stopped and asked on day so I would know ahead of time. The one gaurd even comented how good it looked and asked if I would make one for his mother as a christmas present. Some People are scared of armed people and will react in kind. Call police, threaten, or bully. In hias age range some will consider it cute to push him to show their "courage". I believe open carry leaves you more open to this behavior. Hence why I carry concealed.

shooterg
05-29-2013, 08:17 PM
He's 18 . He can vote. Young men his age "open carry" in Afghanistan, Iraq/etc. every day. I have no problem with 'em doing the same here.

dk17hmr
05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Chris, open carry isn't my style, I don't have a problem with it just not my style. Although I do open carry from time to time but generally not around town unless I stop at the gas station on the way out to the desert. Its not uncommon to see people carrying around town and generally no one gets hot and bothered about it unless someone from out of state sees it. There is one guy I have seen a couple times at the hardware and at Walmart that carries a Hi Point in a nylon holster, something just seems off about him, so I usually keep an eye on him and stay in between my wife and this guy. Generally when I see someone open carrying I identify the gun and size it up compared to what I am carrying at the time.

Only advice I have is get a couple extra mags, make sure they work in the pistol, get a leather mag holder, and practice.

40-82
05-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Chris,
If I remember the concealed carry laws correctly in Virginia at age 18 you don't have the option of getting a permit to carry concealed. Aside from someone out in the field hunting or shooting or maybe making a quick stop in a country store, I don't remember the last time I saw someone openly carrying in a public place. Carrying openly in public will draw a great deal of attention. Most of the people who see you carry openly will assume that you're breaking the law. A few years back I asked a city policeman their departmental policy on dealing with the open carry issue. He said if it was someone going into or out of a gunshop they ignored it. If it was just somewhere out on the street, they disarmed the person, brought him in front of a magistrate, and made him explain why he was carrying a gun. If the scenario worked to plan, the magistrate let the open carrier off with a warning without ever explaining to him that they were perfectly aware that he was completely within his legal rights.

In this age of cell phones people who see you openly carrying will call the police and make "man with a gun reports." Back to your original post, you didn't ask for advice on whether carrying openly might be a good idea, but I do think your question suggests a deep interest in what kind of response you might get if you did.

Open carry is not an isssue in Virginia at present. It is legal but not many people exercise this right and even fewer know they have it. If open carry became common, what would happen? Crime would certainly drop to nothing, but would people in general just get used to the idea of seeing armed men in public, or would they change the law and cause us to lose the right? I don't know.

I carry openly, but only in hot weather and on my farm or where I am known or invited.

I admire your courage. I just want to make sure you understand what you're getting into.

bgoff_ak
05-29-2013, 10:03 PM
No really let's be honest shall we? The truth is that responsible gun owners are greatly, listen close now and watch my lips,, are GREATLY in the MAJORITY.

Whose side are you actually on? You sound like a poster child for gun control.

Actually I carry every day, and I'm an nfa owner, but we are not the majority. Just because you and four of your buddies open carry does not mean it defines the whole world. Most people dont shoot sporting or otherwise. Putting it in people faces does not make then any more prone to view your side. It just is what it is... I guess like many I have just come to terms with it....

MtGun44
05-29-2013, 10:44 PM
My only point is that I, personally, was aware of a shift in my decision making
process between18 and 20. I never, ever did anything wrong beyond driving
faster than was prudent on dirt roads, and some other things that put me
ONLY at more personal risk of physical harm than I felt was reasonable a
few years later, like riding a motorcycle without a helmet and not wearing
seatbelts. I was aware of this situation and was very careful when I was
openly carrying a gun at times in those years in small town central FLA.

NOT against 18 year olds exercising their rights, just pointing out the
need for care and introspection in the decision making process - at
any age.

Be safe.

Bill

PS I remember being amazed and delighted when attending the IPSC Nationals
in the early 80s in Phoenix - OPEN CARRY WAS LEGAL and people were tolerant.
Put on my early IPSC rig (Gold Cup and strong side holster+ dbl mag carrier) and
carried openly. Heady stuff. KS had open carry as long as you were out of
a town. . . . .

otter5555
05-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Otter, by your own admission, you are 18 yo. You are not yet fully equipped mentally to understand the ramifications of things that happen when humans interact with one another. YOU might think so, and maybe you have matured beyond the norm for your years. You need to understand how others will see you. Think carefully about where you are placing yourself...

some misunderstanding somewhere, i'm 62 and have been open carrying a majority of those years. made a lot of bad decisions that i have regretted over the years. open carry was not one of them.

otter

MtGun44
05-30-2013, 01:51 AM
otter,

What location(s)?

Bill

glw
05-30-2013, 07:33 AM
Arisaka99, if you want info about open carry, I strongly suggest going over to opencarry.org. They have info about open carry, and gun laws, that you will not find here. As you can see in too many of the posts above, those who advocate concealed carry are some of the strongest voices against open carry. I open carry nearly every day in the Tidewater area, and have only had 1 person (a misguided Kmart night manager) protest. A simple phone call to the store manager the next day fixed that problem. Open carry is easy. Keep a good awareness of your surroundings, stay out of bad areas, make sure you have good friends, and know the laws. Most people never notice that you carry a gun, and of those who do, most people are curious. This is the experience of the people on opencarry.org, as well. If you carry yourself well and are friendly, people will not be scared. Carry on!

300savage
05-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Arisaka99, if you want info about open carry, I strongly suggest going over to opencarry.org. They have info about open carry, and gun laws, that you will not find here. As you can see in too many of the posts above, those who advocate concealed carry are some of the strongest voices against open carry. I open carry nearly every day in the Tidewater area, and have only had 1 person (a misguided Kmart night manager) protest. A simple phone call to the store manager the next day fixed that problem. Open carry is easy. Keep a good awareness of your surroundings, stay out of bad areas, make sure you have good friends, and know the laws. Most people never notice that you carry a gun, and of those who do, most people are curious. This is the experience of the people on opencarry.org, as well. If you carry yourself well and are friendly, people will not be scared. Carry on!

This is the best advice a person could ever receive, and a way of behaving while OC that we should try hard to emulate.
There is no shame, no embarrassment, no apology, no self consciousness ever need to be felt nor shown when a man or woman chooses to open carry.
It simply raises our consciousness, our awareness, our seriousness, our tolerance, our forgiveness, and most importantly our humbleness.

Wayne Smith
05-30-2013, 08:08 PM
When I carry, open or cc, I avoid all arguments. There is absolutely no point in letting an argument escalate and I will not allow myself to go that way.

I know Chris, and am likely to be attending his High School Graduation (Oral surgery is the only thing that might keep me away!). He reloads in my reloading room and I would be proud to walk beside him open carry. I'm not saying he is anything close to perfect but he is one of the most mature young men I know.

Jim
05-30-2013, 08:16 PM
When I carry, open or cc, I avoid all arguments. There is absolutely no point in letting an argument escalate and I will not allow myself to go that way.

I know Chris, and am likely to be attending his High School Graduation (Oral surgery is the only thing that might keep me away!). He reloads in my reloading room and I would be proud to walk beside him open carry. I'm not saying he is anything close to perfect but he is one of the most mature young men I know.

I'm glad to hear that, Wayne. That's reassuring.

Blacksmith
05-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Chris,

Congratulations on your coming graduation. Also on your decision to exercise your God given rights. However, go in with your eyes open.

1. Learn everything you can about the applicable laws both state and local so you are able to quote chapter and verse. You will need this at some point.
2. Understand you are choosing the hard road and there will be upset people and LEO's, you will be stopped and questioned even if you are in a hurry to get somewhere. Always allow extra time when you carry you will need it.
3. Start slow so you get used to peoples reactions and have time between trips to research good sound answers to the many questions you will encounter. As you gain experience you will gain confidence and be accustomed to and prepared for peoples reactions and questions.
4. Depending on where you are in VA remember the reactions within the state will vary with location, open carry in Floyd will be much different than open carry in Alexandria. Start your learning in rural more gun friendly areas before you tackle the big city.

Always be alert, be ready to walk away even if you don't "Have To", be safe and be a positive poster person for firearms.

Arisaka99
05-31-2013, 12:45 PM
I definitely understand the walk away mentality. In all my years of school, I've never been in a fight. I think that is pretty good, but that's just me. Haha I plan on taking Krav Maga so I can defend myself without resorting to my weapon if need be. Any recommendations for holsters, belts, and mag pouches? I looked at El Paso, and really like their stuff, but would like some other ideas as well. If I'm not mistaken, you can carry IWB as long as 1/3 of the weapon is exposed. Is that true? I remember Wayne and I stopped at walmart on the way to the range, and he was OC and nobody even noticed. If I was approached, I would be friendly and professional because I'm a friendly person as it is. Haha

The main reason I want to carry is because I want to be able to protect me and my family, and others if need be, and that's the only way I can. I understand the risks, and I'm willing to accept them in order to be able to protect myself and exercise my rights. "A right not used is a right lost."

I really appreciate all the opinions, guys! Keep em coming!

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-31-2013, 05:11 PM
tute!

double8
05-31-2013, 05:20 PM
You're 6' 5" and stocky? What the for goodness sake do you need a gun for at your age. Wait 'til you are 21 to see if you even needed [not wanted] a gun.

khmer6
05-31-2013, 05:29 PM
I've carried since a young age. I currently open carry even though I have a ccw and Arizona is a constitutional carry state. It's just a whole lot easier to carry a full size double stack that way. Not a lot of people notice. Once in a while some ignorant person will make a snotty remark. Once I was standing outside my Lexus near a car accident because I ran out of gas, the patrol officer asked what agency I was with. It took me a few minutes to understand what he was saying. Sometimes I wear a vest...... That gets eyes wandering.

mikeym1a
05-31-2013, 05:39 PM
Hey, Chris! What part of Virginia? I'm in Front Royal. Call the Attorney General's office and ask for info on open carry. He's a friend to us gun folk. Plan to vote for him next election. All other advice is good. A CCW course would be educational. Knowledge is POWER. Good luck.

waksupi
05-31-2013, 08:12 PM
You're 6' 5" and stocky? What the for goodness sake do you need a gun for at your age. Wait 'til you are 21 to see if you even needed [not wanted] a gun.

SO, you would wait until some of the disadvantaged youth gangs of the cities stomp you in to a puddle before defending yourself? No matter what size you are, no one should have to take a beating or worse.

FISH4BUGS
05-31-2013, 08:29 PM
Reality Check here, kids. Open carry is to simply show you are carrying a gun. For what purpose? If you are feeling the necessity/need/compulsion to carry a gun, why not wait until you are of age and carry concealed? My experience with open carry proponents is that they want to exercise their rights in your face. freedom of speech CAN mean you are standing in front of me yelling at me. Freedom of religion means you can worship snakes if you want to. Freedom of assembly means you can hang out with whomever you wish.
However, openly carrying a gun is a statement regardless of your right, your wishes and your desires. It says something to the general public. It says something (right or wrong) to people about you.
I would urge you to reconsider your decision and wait until you are 21, get your CCW and carry concealed. That way no one knows but you.
Isn't that a better option?

LowPE
05-31-2013, 08:57 PM
People open carry for a variety of reasons. One is a political statement. Another is you don't yet qualify for ccw yet.

The best advice has already been given....educate yourself. Other good advice is to be conversant on the law, have the law handy on your phone, understand your state law on videotaping or recording leo's. Have a good lawyer. Have a retention holster. Get self defense training, especially on legal ramifications. Have a good lawyer. :)

Have a less than lethal device and know how to use it..get in touch and network with your state's open carry advocates and learn from them.

Good luck to you

300savage
05-31-2013, 08:57 PM

Surely you are on meds, because what else could explain what you told this young red blooded American man??
For the Lords sake man what has need got to do with anything about owning and carrying a gun ????
That is exactly the argument the anti crowd uses "but why do you NEED it ?
To which I say absolutely none of your bizness mister why except that I want it, I want to and it is my red blooded American right to do so !

What are these people doing on a site that has to do with guns and shooting anyway ?? Seriously does this strike no one else as odd behavior or am I the odd man out here? I mean you have a young American who is wanting to step up and be a man, and a damned good one. The kind I would be proud to hang with, a reasonable, level responsible young man that is eager to fill a mans shoes and he has this krap being thrown in his face.
Where are the men here? Where are the Americans? We talk here of trolls with fists clenched and fire in our eye.. really? I mean really?
What about traitors?
What about traitors to our way of life? People like this are worse than the Democratics who make no bones about wanting to take our balls and means of protecting ourselves.
I say better the enemy we know than a false friend..

If I am out of line here people please let me know, and I will proudly move on to somewhere less civilized.

mikeym1a
05-31-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm six ft tall, 250lbs, 4th degree black belt. I don't have a CCW, only because I'm lazy. I've wanted my own guns since I was 3. I occasionally carry open, and it has prevented more than one confrontation. He is legally an adult. He can vote. Let him carry a gun.

Arisaka99
06-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Hey, Chris! What part of Virginia? I'm in Front Royal. Call the Attorney General's office and ask for info on open carry. He's a friend to us gun folk. Plan to vote for him next election. All other advice is good. A CCW course would be educational. Knowledge is POWER. Good luck.

I'm in VA Beach as well as Wayne. Haha I will definitely give the attorney general a call and see what he has to say.

glw
06-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Openly carrying a handgun means a lot of things. People do this for a variety of reasons. There are a few (immature) people that do it to show off. That isn't a good reason, but if they choose to do that, it is there choice and it is o.k. if they do. Then there are other people who open carry because it is more comfortable to do this than to carry concealed. Others carry openly for the deterrence value. If a criminal sees someone carrying a gun openly, they will move on to another victim. Still others open carry in order to educate their community that carrying a gun is a right. It shows personal responsibility.

I carry openly for a variety of reasons. I like the deterrence value, the comfort, and to educate people. I don't do it to show off. When it is necessary, I carry concealed. There are a few occasions (very few) where I cannot carry at all. One thing that I do not like about concealed carry is that there is no deterrence value. I would rather that a criminal reconsiders the attack. I don't want to have some sort of element of surprise--I much prefer that I never have to shoot anyone.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of people looking down at those who carry openly, especially in this thread. The op does not have the option of carrying concealed for another three years. Why should he wait? To advocate this is ridiculous. There is no reason to wait. As long as he is mature, and recognizes the responsibility that comes with carrying a gun (whether concealed or openly), then there is no reason why he should not carry. Having the gun could mean the difference between life and death for him or his family, so why not carry one? This is the decision that he wants to make. Encourage him toward this mature decision, rather than criticizing his desire to exercise his rights.

Concealed carry is useful, but it is a terrible means of advocating for gun rights in America. No one knows you have the gun. The message that carrying a gun is a normal part of the average citizen's life is an important message that needs to be spread wider than it is now. Open carry is excellent means of doing this. I have had excellent discussions with people about guns because I open carry. If I was concealing, those discussions would never have happened. My carrying openly also was a contributing factor in some people obtaining firearms for their self-defense.

I hope that I am not coming across too strongly in my statements, but I think that my comments need to be said. I am concerned that some people here would give up their right to carry a gun in exchange for the permission to carry concealed. I certainly hope that it hasn't come to that on this forum. I expect far better of us.

Wayne Smith
06-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Those of you who question open carry - consider my wife. Geologist, educated at the College of William and Mary - and if that means nothing to you just ask. Qualified with me for CC and then found out that open carry was legal. Her statement "If I am carrying I want everyone to know!" She never did get her CC. And yes, she has open carried on several jobs in Norfolk. Intrestingly enough on one job she showed up with a gun. The next day two of the other guys working there - for another company - showed up with guns!

double8
06-01-2013, 03:16 PM
SO, you would wait until some of the disadvantaged youth gangs of the cities stomp you in to a puddle before defending yourself? No matter what size you are, no one should have to take a beating or worse.

Well, when I grew up in the city years ago, we didn't have gangs, and we were all mostly "disadvantaged". We managed to rise above the poverty and didn't "take" from the advantaged. If you got out of line back then, the cops, teachers, man in the street, neighbor, and especially your Dad set you straight....real quick. And, we could all handle ourselves pretty well. I grew up, joined the Navy at 17, and never looked back. Around here, if you see a shirttail out, chances are that person is CC. Don't see many OC, but sooo many exposed shirttails.
OH, and by the way, I carry open or concealed as I see fit.

Ohio Rusty
06-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Open carry is legal here in Ohio but the police frown upon it. As soon as they get a call from a public person about you having a gun, they charge you with 'creating a panic' since your pistol made someone call the police, they arrest you and take you to jail . They confiscate your weapon and it costs you tons of money in legal expenses to try and beat the charges and get the gun back. It's not right but that is the way it is in Ohio .... I just keep it concealed and no one is the wiser and all is well ................
Ohio Rusty ><>

Arisaka99
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
I understand the fact that cop will probably be called on me. I'm willing to accept that to have the ability to protect myself. I know guys advocate CC, but being under 21, I don't have that option! That is the main reason I'm going to choose to open carry.

BSalty
06-04-2013, 12:21 AM
I won't get into the political or personal choice side of this discussion. Personally in town, I don't OC, I prefer CC. However once I leave the city limits I prefer OC. Just my personal choice but I respect and will defend anyones choice to exercise their rights. Like others have said, there will be a confrontation that arises from somewhere. Keep your head. Also since your state in effect forces you from the age of 18-21 to open carry or leave it at home, I will not be lecturing anyone in that choice. I would make the same choice as you are making if I were in your position.

That said I would urge you to take a few professionally instructed firearms classes. Dad (uncle/family friend/the guy at the gun counter) taught me how to shoot is fine and all, but you will learn a lot from a professional firearms instructor. A couple of good classes are what I would recommend. As to holsters, I like a good leather thumb break holster for my 1911s that cover the entire slide, not just the slip in style for many reasons.

Be safe.

Arisaka99
06-04-2013, 02:27 PM
What do you mean when you say professional instruction? Like a combat pistol course, or like some shooting lessons?

John Allen
06-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Hey guys, some of you know me, some don't, but those that do, know that this year I'll hit the magical age in the firearm community, 18. One of the beauties of living in Virginia is that at 18, we can own and open carry pistols. I intend to do so fully, until I turn 21. The only problem is, most of the info I encounter on the web is tips on CC, not OC. I figured with such an array of people on the board, y'all would have some good tips and tricks that you could share. I would greatly appreciate any advice given! If it helps, I am 6'5", fairly stock build, and plan on carrying a full size 1911 cocked and locked, and I'm a lefty. Thanks guys!

Chris, remember one thing bud you represent all of us when you carry open. Be calm and treat all with respect even if they do not deserve it. Also if I was you I would bookmark on your phone the open carry laws for your states this way you can show them when they dispute it. Good luck and be careful bud.

300savage
06-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Chris, remember one thing bud you represent all of us when you carry open. .

Be calm and treat all with respect even if they do not deserve it.

Also if I was you I would bookmark on your phone the open carry laws for your states this way you can show them when they dispute it. Good luck and be careful bud.

Chris some great advice here.
I am not sure where you can get expert instruction in your area but its obvious there is a wealth of it here. Perhaps you could start a new thread asking for instruction right here asking for help specifically for your circumstances. You have had a couple of fellows from your state already remark perhaps they could give you some personal mentoring, they sure sounded like knowledgeable and solid men to me.
You could also call someone who is teaching CC classes and explain that even though you are too young for the licence you would like to get the instruction. Perhaps that has already been mentioned, seems like it has.
Read all you can, Mass Ayoob has some great books on personal protection. Reading about others experiences and running different scenarios through your mind is great prep work.
Please remember that your pistol is always, always your LAST resort, your mind is always your best weapon.

gray wolf
06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Please remember that your pistol is always, always your LAST resort, your mind is always your best weapon.
I couldn't agree more.

Moonie
06-04-2013, 06:38 PM
I have my concealed permit in NC but keep in mind, to a bad guy someone CC'ing looks like everyone else, a victim. If you think you can out draw someone with a gun pointed at you, well, you are dreaming. Surprise? Yea, sure, start to grab for it real quick and BANG! your dead. I open carry about 90% of the time, when a bad guy looks at me he sees a hard target, bad guys look for soft targets.

I also say, go look at opencarry.org, they will give it to you straight. And yes, most CC'ers detest open carriers, especially if they make money from the process, ie. the NRA.

Opencarry.org has get togethers all over the place and they have great advice. Go there, read, and if you ever get to the piedmont area of NC I'd love to meet you young man.

cajun shooter
06-05-2013, 09:00 AM
A lot of good information here. Let me interject a few more things from being a Police Officer and POST Firearms Instructor for many years. I trained over 1200 Leo's every year at both day and night fire.
Your youth comes out in your OP and is the reason that our government chooses young men to fight our wars. They have yet experienced enough in life to make them do anything but Damn The Torpedoes, Full Steam Ahead.
If you are in any place where some bad guys are getting ready to pull off a felony, you are already dead from their surveillance. You with your open carry already pose the biggest threat to them and you will be the first one taken out.
I understand that you feel that once armed with your cocked and locked 45, no one would dare to confront you. You are very wrong and if this happens you will most likely never even see it coming.
Your next problem is confrontation by local Police Officers. You may again think that each and every one of them will know the law and not give you anything but a smile and a greeting. This line of thought is also incorrect. I worked with so many officers over the years that did not ever open the Criminal Code for the state they work in. It is a officers Bible so to speak and gives them all the cases that if probable cause is there they may arrest on that revised statue.
The next huge problem is other CCW holders who may have just enough training to see you as a threat and have you looking down the gun they carry.
To give you a quick example of how crazy the Police and Civilians act when they see a gun in these times please allow me to give you this brief story.
I was headed into the Narcotics Office one Morning when my Police Radio went crazy with talk. It seems that some concerned citizen had reported a man in full WW11 clothing carrying a M1 Garand was walking in the downtown area. I tried to break in on the traffic but not before they had over 10 police units headed to encounter this mad man. It seems that even though the huge Gun Show that was going on in the area and had advertised on TV, the Newspaper and On several radio stations, no one had heard about it. They have young men dress in all the different military uniforms for standing next to the entrance and exits for display. I was finally able to break radio traffic and notify everyone to back down. I explained the reason and advised them that they could send one car to verify and I was correct. But a lot of nervous people were running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
I carried a Colt 45ACP for awhile in both uniform Patrol and plain clothes. I had at least 3-5 people a day tell me that my gun was cocked and that I was being incompetent by allowing it to be carried that way. I have also had my commanders contacted as they felt I was too dangerous to talk with.
As has been posted by many of my fellow members, I would take as many gun training courses as was possible. The reason is that if you have to pull that gun and use it then the real world will come alive right before your eyes. There will be people who defend your actions and those who will do everything possible to see you in jail and all of your present and future funds taken.
When you decide to carry a gun you take all of this with that privilege. You will have nothing but a split second to decide if you need to use the gun. Everyone else will have months or even years to decide if you were correct in that use. Their is no such thing as getting that bullet back after it has left that barrel.
As a private citizen you have no rights if you pull the gun for making threats. Most all states have the right of the use of deadly force if a reasonable man is in fear of great bodily harm to himself or someone else.
I wish you the very best and hope you receive all the training that goes with strapping on that gun. I'm a very strong believer in our Second amendments rights and Feel all persons should be able to carry if they so wish. Take Care David

M-Tecs
06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I you are going to open carry get the best retention holster you can afford. Sooner or later some jack hole will come up behind you and try to take it because he thinks it’s funny. I my case it was a friend of a friend. It cost him two front teeth and severely split lip. That was in 1981.

I only open carry in very rural areas and it is for convenience and not protection. If I feel the need for protection it’s always CC. Open carry in low crime areas is just more problems than it worth and in high crime areas it greatly increase your likelihood of becoming a target. I have half dozen cop friends. At least two of them have had individuals grab their service pistols from behind with no warning. Two more had drunks grab their service pistols during DWI arrests.

Some people are just stupid and criminals are opportunists. Open carry is just an invitation for stupid people to do stupid things and criminals to target you for your gun. I understand that CC is not an option until your 21. Open carry invites more problems than it solves.

Moonie
06-05-2013, 04:17 PM
A retention holster is a must, you also must be sure you are always aware of your surroundings.

SharpsShooter
06-05-2013, 07:56 PM
All right, my two cents worth… Open carry is legal in West Virginia also. I have and do carry in that manner. A Smith & Wesson 1917 in 45 ACP in my daily driver. I carry it in a Bianchi 111 cross draw if I'm wearing a belt or a Bianchi X15 if I'm wearing bib overalls. Now I don't get that many looks and those I get I'm not concerned about. The mindset I have is "don't start nothing, won't be nothing".

When you take it upon yourself to carry a firearm, regardless of age, you take upon yourself a responsibility of conduct.

SS

TrapperXX
06-05-2013, 08:06 PM
it's open carry where i live and MANY exercise the right. i only go to a town about once a month but carry simply because it's my right and a right not utilized is one that is easily taken away. the LEO's here in the mountains tend to be more used to open carry but they are NOT our friends. i think it unnerves them to know that there is a growing number of people that are better trained and more proficient than they are.

Sir, what state do you live in?

Wayne Smith
06-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Mods, this thread is full of good advice. It also has a smattering of attitude any open cary experience will include. Has anyone considered making it a stickie?

40-82
06-06-2013, 09:19 AM
For what my opinion is worth I agree with Wayne Smith that this thread should be a stickie. I've carried a gun both open and concealed all of my life, and yet I've found the attitudes and experiences expressed in this thread very worthwhile reading, even and perhaps particularly from the people I didn't agree with. Virginia gun rights are in trouble. Both of our Senators voted to support the U.N. Treaty that lost 54-46, and our state went for Obama in the last election. Frankly, I think both of our Senators would love to tell Diana Feinstein, "Count us among your 51." While I wouldn't carry openly on the street in Richmond or Hampton, I think it's important that we retain the right to do so. Without the right to open carry, imagine this scenario: you're coming out of a grocery store, your arms are full, and a sudden gust of wind exposes your sidearm. Under current Virginia law, you would pull your coat down and go about your business, maybe with a premium on vacating the immediate area. If open carry were illegal and an unsympathetic law enforcement officer witnessed the scene, you could be charged. He would be wrong to do so, but given the combination of an unsympathetic law officer and an unsympathetic judge, you could find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Getting back to the young man who started this thread, my advice is pick out a large store in a low crime area and do your shopping with your .45 on your hip, and see how you feel. Imagining the experience will never be quite the same. I know some of the open carrier advocates say that most people won't notice, but if you're really aware of what goes on around you, you'll figure out that more people notice than will publicly react. Open carry is a tool. You don't have to use it all of the time. No doubt open carry has a deterence effect, but that big .45 on your hip is also like the ace of spades laying out there on the table in a stud poker game. Nobody is going to bet against it unless they believe they can win.

oldred
06-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Ok I will put in my 2 cents also, while I would be the last to deny a person's right to carry openly I have to honestly question the real intent for doing so, is it actually for a felt need for protection or just a macho thing? Yes I know I am being blunt but the "need" or just the desire to carry openly must be weighed against the hassle you are going to inevitably incur, you certainly are within your rights and I hope it stays that way but be realistic. You are most likely going to have to defend those rights in confrontations with ignorant people (and just plain snobbish idiots) and quite possibly a law officer(s) just as did a young fellow in Philadelphia last year, you can most likely win but at what cost in both money and trouble? Personally I would like to see everyone who carries feel free to carry out in the open for the whole world to see but the fact is a lot of people, including a lot of gun owners, are uncomfortable with that and although you may be within your rights a lot of people (including the police) are going to go to a lot of effort to make life miserable for you. Add to that the very real possibility that it could actually be more of a danger to you than a protection because it will make you a target for bad guys, some of whom may just be after your gun. Don't kid yourself the scum out there who would be a real danger in the first place are NOT going to be intimidated by your gun because they see themselves as tough guys and will deal with your gun before you have a chance to use it since they can plainly see it, your first hint at trouble miight just be looking down the muzzle of a Glock or worse yet no warning at all! If all that is worth it to you then by all means exercise your rights but IMO it's going to get expensive.

Arisaka99
06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Guys, I really appreciate all the different viewpoints. Now, I get where you are coming from with the being aware, and having people try to mess with me. In order to defend myself and keep my weapon a last resort, I plan to take Krav Maga. They not only train you in disarming, but also in multiple attacker defenses.

Do y'all have any recommendations for belts and mag pouches? Would a Blackhawk rigger belt scare people or look "tacticool"? Or should I just go with a leather belt?

Wayne Smith
06-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Forget the 'tacticool' look. Don't be obvious in anything you do. Have a holster that blends in with your dress, not one that contrasts and stands out. Wear it on your usual (but tough) belt. Showing off is the last thing you want to do. Being obvious is the last thing you want to do unless you want to make a political statement. When and if that is your purpose don't include me!

Basically think of open carry as the same is concealed but without covering the gun.

Arisaka99
06-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Haha Wayne, I'm not going for tacticool. I'm low-pro, you know that. I have just been considering getting one and wanted to see what y'all think.

rmatchell
06-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I carry concealed and don't feel the need to open carry. Now I have in the past but only on a few rare times. I have kids and open carry is something I wouldn't think of doing again its bad enough with my 4 year old is being crazy and bumps his head on it and tells everybody around. I feel that it is better that nobody around knows that im armed its not a show of force more of a just in case.

Now im sure your going to carry so my advice is to stand out for every reason except for your sidearm. Be polite, helpful, and everything else that the media says we the gun owning Americans are not. So try to be noticed for the right reasons instead of the bad.

Thats just my two cents

shooterg
06-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Young fella, here in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you will be one of many open carriers.
Check out www.vcdl.org sometime. Lot of those guys were open carrying at the latest political convention in Richmond, no problems at all. Far as I'm concerned those that are leery of open carry are half convinced themselves that guns are evil. A lot like the folks that say "I'm an NRA member, but I don't want a Range next door"/etc. I usually carry the smaller stuff concealed and have probably wandered into areas I shouldn't have while doing so - you won't get away with that open carrying, so if in doubt, leave it in the car or don't go in !
The advice to take some instruction above is definitely good. Good luck and enjoy your freedoms.

300savage
06-06-2013, 03:45 PM
We have all seen the person with a pistol on their hip, well groomed, well dressed, professional looking with a sidearm on that looks like it grew there, that looks like he has a right and a reason to have it.
Yes a lot like a LEO in plain clothes, a man or woman that just gives off that smell of competence and no bullshidtness, emulate that person. They are pro's and it shows.

If you walk around in your slouch hat and over at the heel boots with four inches of your buttcrack showing Cuz your hogleg packn Wyatt Earp wanna b look leaves something to be desired.. well your gonna look like a fool. And most likely act it as well.

cajun shooter
06-07-2013, 07:55 AM
I just have to chime in one more time as there has been a lot of continued misconception since my first posting.
First my advise on being the first target if you open carry does not say I'm scared or not trained well enough but from my days as a very well trained COP. I lost two fellow police officers who walked into what most people refer to as a 7-11. They went in to get that morning coffee and did not know the store was being robbed. They were both in uniform. We had another Detective shot in almost the same manner as he went into a business with out his coat and his gun on his side, the same way as a civilian would carry. The shooter advised that he did not know the man was a cop but he saw the gun on his side and knew he had to take him out. The Detective survived his wounds.
I'm a trained Firearms Instructor By the FBI and many other state courses over a 15 year period. I also am trained in self defense tactics and weapons retention classes. I can take your gun from your hands so fast that you will not know what happened. So can the hardened criminals on the street. Everyone who thinks they have enough training and more than enough testosterone to whip anyone butt who tries to take the gun on their side need to go to any Police School and ask them if they can take your gun. Now I don't mean to barge into the door and make a challenge but do it through a school. If that can't be done then go to any type of Karate or other type of hand to hand combat school. You will leave with a new perspective on what your real abilities are.
Tell me what you did in the last 72 hours. Did any of it have to do with how to disarm any person who was carrying a gun?
We had a film that was taken from a prison that was taken by the good guys while the prisoners were in the yard. They would hang a ping ball on a string from a pull up bar and walk past it. Just as they cleared it and with out turning to face it but looking straight ahead, they would try to make a hard finger jab at that ball. The purpose of this was to practice on how to take out your eye as they had already walked by your line of vision. What that's not fair. They did not give you a chance to draw that 45 and blow them to hell. You want them to wait until you are up off the ground and be able to see from all the blood that is gushing from your face. My friend the real streets are mean and unforgiving. The bad guys know how to kill and they practice while you are in your recliner watching TV with the peace of your family. Best of Luck to You David

Moonie
06-07-2013, 08:23 AM
I just have to chime in one more time as there has been a lot of continued misconception since my first posting.
First my advise on being the first target if you open carry does not say I'm scared or not trained well enough but from my days as a very well trained COP. I lost two fellow police officers who walked into what most people refer to as a 7-11. They went in to get that morning coffee and did not know the store was being robbed. They were both in uniform. We had another Detective shot in almost the same manner as he went into a business with out his coat and his gun on his side, the same way as a civilian would carry. The shooter advised that he did not know the man was a cop but he saw the gun on his side and knew he had to take him out. The Detective survived his wounds.
I'm a trained Firearms Instructor By the FBI and many other state courses over a 15 year period. I also am trained in self defense tactics and weapons retention classes. I can take your gun from your hands so fast that you will not know what happened. So can the hardened criminals on the street. Everyone who thinks they have enough training and more than enough testosterone to whip anyone butt who tries to take the gun on their side need to go to any Police School and ask them if they can take your gun. Now I don't mean to barge into the door and make a challenge but do it through a school. If that can't be done then go to any type of Karate or other type of hand to hand combat school. You will leave with a new perspective on what your real abilities are.
Tell me what you did in the last 72 hours. Did any of it have to do with how to disarm any person who was carrying a gun?
We had a film that was taken from a prison that was taken by the good guys while the prisoners were in the yard. They would hang a ping ball on a string from a pull up bar and walk past it. Just as they cleared it and with out turning to face it but looking straight ahead, they would try to make a hard finger jab at that ball. The purpose of this was to practice on how to take out your eye as they had already walked by your line of vision. What that's not fair. They did not give you a chance to draw that 45 and blow them to hell. You want them to wait until you are up off the ground and be able to see from all the blood that is gushing from your face. My friend the real streets are mean and unforgiving. The bad guys know how to kill and they practice while you are in your recliner watching TV with the peace of your family. Best of Luck to You David

FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt), you are welcome to say, "I'm a LEO and don't like it." This is the attitude of most LEO's, especially those in LA, note the illegal confiscation of legal gun owners firearms during Katrina.

I've OC'd for years and never had an issue, not even from the local LEO's that support our rights and understand why. Please note that 4 times the SCOTUS has said police have no duty to protect us. Keep in mind that the OP has no option other than OC available to him so in telling him not to is to leave him defenseless.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with LEO's, lots of my friends are ex or current LEO's, all of them have no issue with OC, and in fact some of the encourage it.

Arisaka99
06-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Any recommendations on weapon retention or fighting handgun classes? Bear in mind that I'm a graduating senior and have little cash. Starthing this summer, I'm going to be working full time. So in that period, I will be able to save some cash and then take a course. I am NRA Basic Pistol Qualified, not that it makes much difference, but it's still education.

rowe_s
09-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Open carry is legal in Iowa. Most don't some do. I live in a small town and about 10 years ago we had a serious meth problem in town. Several producers were eventually arrested in my neighborhood, (the town is now cleaned up and I like it here.) the furthest one from my home was actually about 500 feet measured the way projectiles fly when a lab blows up. Petty theft was high on things that could easily be sold. I carried openly all the time around my property. Nothing ever got stolen from my place and they stayed away from me and mine.

I still carry openly 98 % of the time at my home. Away from home 10% open carry. Nobody has ever confronted me about it, once in a while I will get a second look. I am 65, (don't look real old) dress cleanly, wear pistol close in tight holster. Some people say I look like an off duty cop. (I don’t try to give that impression.)

When I do cover my pistol up, it is best described as half *** concealed. My thought is if a thug is looking to rob or beat someone they will probably leave me alone and find an easier victim. I carry all the time it is legal. Sometimes deep concealment is only the polite thing to do. Some places I stay concealed when I just don’t want to spook the horses.

Situational awareness keeps me away from trouble. And I avoid people and places that trouble could be. Practice gives me confidence.
I have nothing to say about your age other than be careful.

High Lord Gomer
09-09-2013, 02:55 PM
A wide sturdy belt is a must. I prefer to wear my inner velcro belt from my Double-Alpha competition rig but I always have it concealed. It does look rather strange to be worn as a visible belt.

Being a lefty can only help make the gun harder for someone to take if you use a double or triple retention holster. Either will require extensive practice.

I have to disagree with whoever suggested carrying with the chamber empty. For the last 2 months I have started our local IDPA matches with a stage or two that lets people see, on the clock, what the difference to their first shot times are carrying unloaded, carrying chamber empty, and carrying with one in the chamber. We also did stages where we compared starting from hands relaxed at side, strong hand on the gun while still in the holster, gun at low ready, and sights on target. In our limited sample, it took most people from /14 of a second to as much as a full second to chamber the first round. More importantly, since the 1911 has limited capacity, I would rather have that extra round in the chamber than in my pocket.

Edited: Just noticed this is a somewhat old topic. What did you decide on and how had OC been working out for you?

Petrol & Powder
09-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Arisaka99, I'm going to join MtGun44 and Cajun Shooter and provide you with some advice that I hope you consider.
While it is true that you have the right to carry a firearm and I strongly support that right, you are about to go down a path that could lead to some life altering consequences. I don't doubt your skill or level of responsibility but I do seriously question your experience. Please don't take that as a insult, it's not intended to be one. The fact that you're asking questions shows that you have a desire to learn and that places you far ahead of most people. I ask that you take this opportunity to learn and consider what experienced people like Cajun Shooter are attempting to convey to you. Take advantage of that shared knowledge and use it to make good decisions.
You live in a very populated part of VA and one that is close to some of the toughest parts of Virginia. Portsmith, Norfolk, Hampton and the shipyards have more than their share of less than stellar citizens. You will be a target and you will be tested. Please carefully consider all of the ramifications of the situation, including the fact that YOU are the one CHOOSING to place yourself in that situation. I strongly support both your right of self defense and the means to carry out that defense if needed. But you're contemplating a course of action that is far more complex than I believe you realize.

Thank you and be careful.

unclogum bill
09-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Ouch, I would support your right but when you let one loose your life will change. Even if you are right to do it, civil suits will haunt you forever. When I was young I did not back up well. If you carry I hope your a better man than I was at that age.

Arisaka99
03-24-2014, 11:01 AM
I've been carrying for several months now. A close friend has lent me his Sig P239 40S&W and that is what I've been carrying. I have carried pretty much constantly, and haven't gotten any negative looks or comments yet, if it is even noticed. I've had a few people ask me about it, what brand, is it a 9? Stuff like that. Haha I enjoy education people, so I wish that more people were curious about it, but I'm happy with the little attention I've received.

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-24-2014, 11:27 AM
own ....

Arisaka99
03-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I've been debating between a Glock 23, 21, 20, XDM 3.8 45, and XDS.

Arisaka99
03-24-2014, 12:26 PM
I can only OC for the next 3 years, so I figure I may as well carry a full sized gun if I'm OCing, however, I don't want it to catch on everything, and it gets pretty hot here in the summer. I've got a baby on the way, so I am kind of limited as to buying a couple. Haha I'll probably end up with the 23 or XDM3.8.

montana_charlie
03-24-2014, 12:52 PM
A wide sturdy belt is a must.
This member certainly agrees with that ...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235508-Barbie-and-her-M-4&p=2697729&viewfull=1#post2697729

Arisaka99
03-26-2014, 11:07 AM
I am going to get a good belt and a better holster soon. Just gotta get the cash first.

Moonie
03-26-2014, 12:01 PM
A full size handgun can get heavy carrying all day. A good belt designed for it will help spread the weight on your hips. I usually open carry the same officer 1911 I conceal carry, its a weight thing, its the lightest handgun I own. Now I do OC my Cerakoated full size 1911 when I need to dress up ;)

waksupi
03-26-2014, 04:17 PM
I got a gun belt from Jerry Bissell just over a year ago. Best I've had. I wear it everyday packing a gun, and it shows no wear, or sag. He has since retired, but his son is now making the same belts.

http://www.armourbelts.com/

MtGun44
03-27-2014, 01:08 AM
No lightweight Commander in that debate?? Missing out. Flat is a big deal in
all day comfort, and 1911s are way flatter than any of those others.

Bill

6bg6ga
03-27-2014, 05:55 AM
I can only OC for the next 3 years, so I figure I may as well carry a full sized gun if I'm OCing, however, I don't want it to catch on everything, and it gets pretty hot here in the summer. I've got a baby on the way, so I am kind of limited as to buying a couple. Haha I'll probably end up with the 23 or XDM3.8.

I'd go with the model 23

kbstenberg
03-27-2014, 07:54 AM
I like Arisaka 99 am just starting to carry a weapon. I would personally like to thank everyone who has posted with there experiences and opinions. There have been many points I have not considered before.

Ajax
03-27-2014, 08:26 AM
I use a amish harness weight belt for carry. I carry OWB but it is under cover of my shirt. http://www.mytoolstore.com/graber/040002.html

Andy

w5pv
03-27-2014, 04:48 PM
I carry concealed every day and if we had open carry I would still carry concealed just to not attract unwanted attention.I had rather not have a bad guy know I carry until it need be and I can tell you from experince the surprise is usually enough to deter anything that they had in mind.

I agree if a person is old enough to die for his county and vote he should be able to carry and legally own a weapon of choice.

SSGOldfart
03-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Hmmm I guess times have changed.I thought you had to be 21 to buy a pistol when did it change?

khmer6
03-27-2014, 05:51 PM
21 to purchase 18 to carry in some states. It's all kooky and fine lines.

Bullet Caster
03-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Arisaka99, Chris, I admire you for your decision to exercise your God given right to carry a firearm. I support you 100%. I have a CC permit in TN, however, my boss won't allow me to carry in our Veteran's Store. Many a veteran has come into our store carrying openly and some concealed. The first time I saw an open carry guy, I asked to see his weapon. I'm always interested in what others carry for their own protection. Most of them show me their weapon after unloading it. And I get to see some unusual guns carried in many different ways.

Now mind you, I have only had to shoot one person in my life and that was foiling a home invasion attempt. I blew a bad guy's thumb off with my .45 1911. The cops confiscated my .45 and kept it for about 6 months and finally after the case was resolved they called me to come get my gun. I went to the police station to claim my .45. However, they kept 2 mags worth of ammo and when I asked for my rounds they told me they couldn't give them back. I told them that they just wanted some free ammo to practice with and they all laughed at me.

When the detective asked if I had another gun, I told him that I had another .45 Colt. The lead detective told me that if the bad guys came back for revenge, I had their permission to kill 'em. Worked for me. If I had pressed charges against the thugs then my case would have gone to court and I may or may not have been charged. This was before TN enacted the stand your ground law. The guy whose thumb was sewn back on kept calling the lead detective and trying to have me locked up. She told him he was crazy and if they ever came back to my place I had permission to kill them. Now we have the stand your ground law in place and I have every legal right to protect me, my family (including 6 dogs) and my property.

Since the incident we have installed security cameras and we believe the scum bags came back and drove up our driveway until they saw the cameras and backed down the driveway. Just remember, you cannot take the bullet back. Just be sure before you pull the trigger. BC

abunaitoo
03-31-2014, 09:31 PM
I once ask a friend (he's a state sheriff) if he supports CCW.
He said he had no problem with open carry, but didn't like concealed carry.
I asked him why.
He said, "with concealed carry, I wouldn't know who is carrying"
When I asked him "what about you???"
He said "I'm law enforcement, I don't want them to know I'm carrying."
I told him "isn't that the whole point of concealed carry???"
He said for "law enforcement yes, but not for privet citizens"
Good guy, but not to smart.

Moonie
04-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Think about it this way, criminals like soft targets, open carriers look like hard targets, no question, they ARE armed. Concealed carriers look like soft targets, does anyone really believe they can be 100% confident in drawing a concealed handgun before the bad guy pulls the trigger? It is like the anti's argument about a gun in a home is more likely to be used against a home owner, that statistic is only relevant when you leave out the times the gun is never fired, deterrent.

popper
04-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Some of the "cow towns" of the old west, such as Wichita and Dodge City, also had their own versions of gun control; the "dead-line." Cross that line carrying a gun and you could wind up dead. It was a "reasonable" reaction to groups of young men, sometimes no more than boys, who, after spending months of sleeping on the ground, eating lousy food, doing hard work, with low pay, no women, little sleep, and hours of sitting in a saddle on a horse who tried every morning to disembark them, tended to want to party, and in a serious way. As we all know, if you combine young men with booze/drugs and guns, sometimes someone ends up with up with more holes in their bodies than the good Lord intended. A prime example of this can still be found in Bodie California, (...) ceiling of the saloon still show the holes put there by miners, gamblers, and gun fighters. At the same time, burglary and rape were almost unheard of in the old west. A man trying to rape a woman in an alley was apt to find him-self staring down the gun barrels of the townsmen. The shoot-out at the OK corral took place because the Earp brothers, along with John "Doc" Holliday, wanted to disarm the Clanton gang (sic. so they said). Also note that most rural people did NOT have a gun handy. In the house or in the wagon when working.
Grampa carried a 38 in his trousers pocket when rounding up the drunks on the weekend. Other than Quantrell, there weren't many 'drive-by' shootings. IMHO, carrying WHEN needed (or appropriate?) works, otherwise it's just 'in your face' attitude. No I am NOT against carry, but would have to be around those who just want to.

Outpost75
10-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Open Carry "Scares the Natives"

A man who falsely reportedthat a handgun open carrier had robbed a 7-Eleven in Virginia in underinvestigation for suspicion of filing a false police report, according toFairfax County Police. On October 15, Robert Dickens was “SWATted” as stoppedat the convenience store to purchase a cup of coffee. The man beinginvestigated for SWATting Mr. Dickens has yet not been named. Bearing Armspreviously detailed [second link] his encounter with the six Fairfax Countypolice officers dispatched to handle the falsely reported “armed robbery.”...He may be charged for falsely summoning or giving false reports tolaw-enforcement officials, a class one misdemeanor that carries the possibilityof a year in prison and up to a $2,500 fine, or both. It is unknown at thistime if other charges may apply. In Ohio, officials have still not chargedRonald Ritchie for filing a false police report, even after Walmart securityvideo matched up to his 911 call shows that he grossly misrepresented theactions of John Crawford III, leading to the deaths of Crawford and AngelaWilliams... (There may be times and places for open carry but those who chooseit should be aware that they expose themselves to this sort of action. Further,if your gun is exposed, a false accuser may be able to describe it but, if hetells police that you threatened him with a Glock and your discreetly carried firearmturns out to be a “silver-colored” revolver, he'll be the one behind the eightball.)
http://bearingarms.com/fairfax-county-swatter-investigation/
http://bearingarms.com/virginia-open-carrier-swatted-known-gun-control-loon/