PDA

View Full Version : sizer/luber for B-I-G boolits...?

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a couple "thumpers" under construction, a 550 and a 577 on the 505 Gibbs case. Any thoughts on how to size lube them? The diameter seems a bit large to try and get H&I dies made that will fit in a LAM II or Lyman.

I am open to suggestions...

Rich
DRSS

madcaster
09-19-2007, 02:27 PM
I think I saw a .585" sizing die on Auction Arms a year or so back,by bullet lady,so it seems like someone applied the p[rincipal,and IF I remember right it was for a Star sizer?

klw
09-19-2007, 02:28 PM
You could probably get sizing dies for a Lyman/RCBS but I wouldn't recommend it. With that big a hole getting the sizing dies out of those sizers is an art that I have never mastered.

The Rapine sizer, however, should have no trouble with it. It just sizes. Can not lubricate. And Rapine is hard to get ahold of. You'll have to call him and he isn't always there. Sorry but I don't have his phone number.

But his sizer should work.

I don't think that a Magma/Star L/S can handle this big a bullet but a special order Lee might.

dromia
09-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I know this doesn't help you directly but it shows that there is stuff around and other people grapple with the same issues. Its a case of get the word out and a bit of luck, right place at the right time.

I picked this lube sizer up in a gun shop years ago, it was made up the Tyne at Vickers Armstrong (they now make Challenger tanks there) for .577" bullets.

Buckshot recently fixed me up with a dandy .590" size die for it, thanks Buckshot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Vickers%20Lubrisizer/VickersLubrisizer4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Vickers%20Lubrisizer/VickersLubrisizer1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Vickers%20Lubrisizer/VickersLubrisizer2.jpg

scrapcan
09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Nice sizer Dromia, that would be heavy duty.

The other option you may have is to have a custom push thru die made. Pan lube and then push thru. You may even get one to fit in a 7/8 die to use in a normal modern press.

I think you should contact Buckshot to see what he has been doing for his big daddy cartridges of yore.

fourarmed
09-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Don't know if this would work, but a push-through for the big threads of a Rockchucker would easily handle this size bullet. You could possibly even rig it with a grease zerk and lube with a grease gun.

floodgate
09-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Lyman DID make an 0.580" "H" die and "I" ejector punch for the No. 45, but it is logged as "lube only"; I have one in the "cigar box". Not enough meat vs. the 0.625" O.D. to handle any significant sizing load.

floodgate

NuJudge
09-19-2007, 08:18 PM
It is clearly marked that it is NOT a size die, just a die to apply lube.

CDD

drinks
09-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Should not be a strain to use a Lee push through and pan lube or tumble lube.
Get the biggest die Lee has and just ream or bore to the size you need.

scrat
09-20-2007, 04:19 PM
order a size die from lee or if you have an old one take that. Then take it to a reputible machine shop and have it bored out to the size you need. i had one done for a 9mm makarov. the machine shop charged me $20.00 to drill out a lee sizing die to what i needed. there you go.