PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum stuck / corrosion

MakeMineA10mm
05-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I found grandpa's 14' long cane fishing pole. It is in 3 sections with aluminum sockets to connect the sections. Aluminum on both the pocket end and the extension which goes inside the pocket. The bottom section was separate from the middle section, but the tip and middle section were together. They are not cooperating with separating. I'm guessing they were put away wet, and after years some aluminum oxidation has happened, making the aluminum rough and locking it together.

So, what to do?

I thought of a penetrating oil like kroil or WD-40, but I've never tried it on aluminum.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
, out!

Mk42gunner
05-28-2013, 03:07 PM
If oil doesn't work try Coca-Cola, the phosphoric acid can do wonders at eating corrosion.

Robert

MtGun44
05-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Naval jelly contains weak phosphoric acid, and weak acid can reverse
the oxidation reaction that is corrosion. I suggest citric acid solution
and maybe wiggle it side to side when under the solution. Lemishine
has citric acid, in groc store near dishwasher soaps.

Also, acetone and ATF mixed 50-50 is a superior penetrating oil.
If you can get it apart with pen oil, soak in citric acid or apply naval
jelly if you already have it, to reverse the corrosion. Polish and
grease lightly with synthetic ONLY grease. Old fashioned greases
are soap based and turn to glue after a long time. Could be just
grease-glued together, too. Synthetic greases stay as grease for
at lease a decade or two.

Bill

runfiverun
05-28-2013, 07:18 PM
they might not be chemically "stuck" together.
I remember one time I lubed the joints on my fishing pole with Vaseline.
I won't do that again.
anyway if the joint looks dry i'd use the atf and acetone mix, it will creep into anywhere a liquid can get.

Gliden07
05-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Another trick I used with my fly poles was to squat down, hold the pole between sections behind my knees then, part my knees (against my fists) while holding the pole ends tight in my hands. This allows you to pull the sections straight out from each other. and increases the leverage. It works GREAT!! I learned this from an old Fly Fisherman, the same one that taught me how to Tie Flies.

xs11jack
05-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Gliden07, I have used that one too, it really works.
Jack

MakeMineA10mm
05-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys! I had the kroil on hand so put it in, and it slid right into the joint and disappeared. Letting it soak overnight and will try the knees-and-fists in-line leverage trick in the morning.

MakeMineA10mm
05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys!!! The Kroil was enough. RFR was right -- not chemically stuck together. After a couple very small squirts of Kroil (which sucked right into the joint), I let it stand overnight. Next morning, I tested a pull, and they seemed just as stuck, but when I twisted, there was movement. I ended up padding two pair of vice grips (set so they didn't over-squeeze), and used those to get twisting leverage. After a couple rotations, they came right apart. The aluminum underneath is mostly clean. There are a couple rubbed spots, where it is obvious the aluminum has always been a very tight fit. That's what caused the problem.

Thanks again everybody!

historicfirearms
05-30-2013, 09:48 AM
I'd try the Coke too. As an airplane pilot, I've seen first hand what it can do to the floor of a plane when someone spills a Coke and it doesn't get cleaned up for a while.

country gent
05-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Glad you got it appart and all is well.A light coat of beeswax will help perserve the fittings. If thats an old cane pole have it appraised before doing alot to it as some command collectors value now. ANd being Grandpas you want to perserve it with out causing other issues. I believe I would make a nive rack for it and have it hanging on the living room wall, But being single I can do things like that;-). Thats a special peice of your lifes history.

country gent
05-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Oh and before you put it up. Get a can of worms a boober and hook and sinker. Find A farm pond and straw Hat. A day fishing with Grandpas pole on the side of a pond remembering Him will make a great day. And a mess of bluegills makes a great meal anytime LOL.

Gliden07
05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Glad you got it apart!! And thanks for the update!!

MakeMineA10mm
05-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Glad you got it appart and all is well.A light coat of beeswax will help perserve the fittings. If thats an old cane pole have it appraised before doing alot to it as some command collectors value now. ANd being Grandpas you want to perserve it with out causing other issues. I believe I would make a nive rack for it and have it hanging on the living room wall, But being single I can do things like that;-). Thats a special peice of your lifes history.

Oh and before you put it up. Get a can of worms a boober and hook and sinker. Find A farm pond and straw Hat. A day fishing with Grandpas pole on the side of a pond remembering Him will make a great day. And a mess of bluegills makes a great meal anytime LOL.

Thank you! Yes, it means a lot to me -- Also the first pole I ever caught fish with (a bluegill and a sunfish when grandpa took me at 4 yrs old). I'm getting it out to take my daughter fishing. Not her first time, but we're going back to the lake where grandpa owned a cabin, and where I caught my first fish and the last spot this pole was last used to fish.

Had the daughter out practicing in the yard. She can really get the line out there and lay the bobber down with minimal splash (at least sometimes! ;) ).

Right now the big hold up is the weather. We had severe flooding with snow melt, and just as it was starting to go down, it's rained 7 out of last 8 days... Looks like Sunday is our next chance. Keep uour fingers crossed for me!

MakeMineA10mm
05-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Glad you got it apart!! And thanks for the update!!

Thanks Glidden! It felt welded together, but that Kroil did a great job.

I'm going to do what country gent suggested and get out my bees wax.

Gliden07
05-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks Glidden! It felt welded together, but that Kroil did a great job.

I'm going to do what country gent suggested and get out my bees wax.

I gotta try that Kroil!! I've heard lots of good things about it. I remember my Dad had it when I was a kid but when WD40 came out never saw it in his workshop again!! Hope you make it out Sunday, we got slammed with rain here too and it was cold! Now its 92 and humid!! Out of the fridge and into the fryer!!! Still better than snow!!

country gent
05-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Some of those ferreles were brass and tin coated under pressure for long periods they would stick

MakeMineA10mm
06-01-2013, 12:57 AM
We did not make it out yet. Rain, rain, rain.... The fishing hole is flooded, and calling for more rain through tomorrow... So, even though Sunday is supposed to be perfect, the water will be so high I'm just not sure we'll make it. We're gonna try our darnedest to drown a few wax worms though! :)

runfiverun
06-01-2013, 01:20 AM
it ain't always about the catchin

popper
06-01-2013, 01:16 PM
lubed the joints on my fishing pole Don't use any lube at all -- it makes a hydraulic seal. Just keep them clean and DRY. Don't sand, maybe a little dry graphite. Q-tip to clean the inside.

MakeMineA10mm
06-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Well, gone fishing 4 times in last week with daughter with the cane pole. Caught 30 Bluegill in a total of about 5.5 hours of fishing. Momma caught 1, I caught 4, and daughter has caught 25 on that cane pole! I'm amazed!!! (Daughter seemed to be bringing me a fish every time her hook went in the water, so I wasn't doing much fishing, and momma only went today.)

Also noted/realized Grandpa was even smarter than I knew he was, as that cane pole lays the worm in the water nice and calm vs. the splash from a either typical reel.

(Grandpa didn't graduate the 8th grade, but he worked in layout and development at Caterpillar, designing parts in his mind's eye and drawing them up. He could recite how many thousandths of an inch every fraction was down to 1/64th. He was the guy the production bosses came to, when the engineers didn't design something right...)

After catching all these, I was even more impressed that my daughter demanded to be taught to clean them and did about a third of them. Then she helped coat them and watched me fry them.

She couldn't make up her mind which part was best: feeling the fish run with the hook and pull on the line or eating them. :D

Just wanted to let you guys know the awesome finish to the help you gave me.

MtGun44
06-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Glad to hear you got that heirloom pole back in productive business. Grandpa is smiling about
it, I am sure.

Bill

Gliden07
06-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Glad to hear ya finally got out!! Sounds like you guys had a GREAT time!! :D

Well, gone fishing 4 times in last week with daughter with the cane pole. Caught 30 Bluegill in a total of about 5.5 hours of fishing. Momma caught 1, I caught 4, and daughter has caught 25 on that cane pole! I'm amazed!!! (Daughter seemed to be bringing me a fish every time her hook went in the water, so I wasn't doing much fishing, and momma only went today.)

Also noted/realized Grandpa was even smarter than I knew he was, as that cane pole lays the worm in the water nice and calm vs. the splash from a either typical reel.

(Grandpa didn't graduate the 8th grade, but he worked in layout and development at Caterpillar, designing parts in his mind's eye and drawing them up. He could recite how many thousandths of an inch every fraction was down to 1/64th. He was the guy the production bosses came to, when the engineers didn't design something right...)

After catching all these, I was even more impressed that my daughter demanded to be taught to clean them and did about a third of them. Then she helped coat them and watched me fry them.

She couldn't make up her mind which part was best: feeling the fish run with the hook and pull on the line or eating them. :D

Just wanted to let you guys know the awesome finish to the help you gave me.

DCP
06-10-2013, 09:05 AM
I just got to think grandpa was schooling those fish right were they needed to be.
Now you know when you fish with kids. You don't fish a lot

When my daughter was 6 took her and all the rest fishing. I got everyone lines in the water. Then I sat down to watch the fun.
30 sec later the daughter says WHY aren't you fishing. I said I was just watching every one else. Almost immediately she start reeling in the line. Then tells the whole boat. I am NOT fishing,because Dad is not fishing.Dad knows there is no fish here.
So I fished. LOL.

I got a book for you to read Lunkers Love Night Crawlers.

MakeMineA10mm
06-12-2013, 10:00 AM
That's funny! Smart as a whip these kids are...

I actually had quite a bit of fun the one time I got a line in the water.

I don't know if grandpa was schooling the fish as much as he had schooled me. In the heat of the day, we looked for the shady spots where the trees made the water a little cooler; a lesson learned from grandpa...

DCP
06-12-2013, 10:32 AM
You see Grandpa was there. Just close your eyes and you will see him.
My grandfather is with me every time I touch a weapon.
I hear him say make sure and check that gun
and yes I am just a silly old man