PDA

View Full Version : Range scrap question

Buck-N-Rut
05-27-2013, 11:35 PM
What is the makeup of most range scrap. For instance, jacketed bullets that have exposed lead base or full jacket that I cut so when I melt lead comes out. Is that pure lead? So is it good to use range scrap like this for my 357,38, 380? I can get all I want. Just have to spend time picking it out of berm.

Sgtonory
05-27-2013, 11:36 PM
I know the range scrap that i have used has at least some antimony in it. Works great for 45acp, 9mm and 38 speical. 44mag is next on the list when i can find a mold. Most all of the scrap is from jacketed bullets.

Buck-N-Rut
05-27-2013, 11:43 PM
I was hoping u would say that. I have access to all I could ever shoot. Time to fire the pot up.

Sgtonory
05-27-2013, 11:44 PM
You can always sell any extra you have. I pick range scrap from a clay backstop outdoor range and can get about 30# in 2hrs or so. Need to find a indoor range i can get scrap from.

Buck-N-Rut
05-27-2013, 11:48 PM
These berms have never been picked I don't think. It's everywhere. Not many casters down here in Texas I guess.

LivewireBlanco
05-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Does the typical range scrap need to be water quenched for 45 acp similar pistol rounds?

Sgtonory
05-27-2013, 11:51 PM
I quench my 45 acp. But have not tryed air cooled. I just want to size and lube faster.

R.M.
05-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Does the typical range scrap need to be water quenched for 45 acp similar pistol rounds?
It depends mostly on what your doing with your rounds. Bullseye shooters mostly use very soft SWC. Action shooters might use something harder. My air-cooled range lead works well for everything I do.

Inkman
05-28-2013, 10:52 AM

I used to water quench all my boolits, which, btw are all range scrap sourced. Never saw any difference in accuracy, leading etc so i stopped. Was just an extra step for no noticable gain in my experience. That is for .40 and .45

YMMV as is usually the case.

Al

mold maker
05-28-2013, 11:10 AM
I use range scrap for all handgun loads except 9mm, 40, and magnums. If there is a fill out problem I add a little high tin solder. For high pressure rounds I add some type metal, or high antimony shot.
Get all you can while it's there for the taking. Soon the Greenies will have it off limits, or the range shut down and the lead reclaimed for so called environmental reasons. If in unsearched clay berms there will be a real concentration in the bottom of the wash. It will be almost solid lead, and really hard to pick apart. Remember that the jackets can be sold to the scrap yard as #2 brass.

Larry Gibson
05-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Range lead alloy composition and quality for cast bullets will vary greatly depending on the % of jacketed, type of jacketed (handgun vs rifle), %of hardcast commercial, % of soft cast/swaged and the % of .22LR bullets.

Most range lead (I've used a lot of it over the years from numerous outdoor and indoor ranges) is relatively rich in antimony and deficient in tin. I usually weaken the antimony content by adding 20 - 30% pure lead and then add 2% tin to that. I end up with a malleable alloy that gives an AC'd BHN in the 11 - 13 range and a WQ'd BHN of 17 - 19 +/-. That makes for an excellent alloy when AC'd for all handgun loads adn rifle loads at or below 1400 - 1500 fps. The WQ'd alloy makes good rifle bullets (GC'd) for upwards of 2200 fps depending on cartridge.

Larry Gibson

ASM826
05-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I water drop all my bullets, not necessarily for hardness, but just to keep the mold running, So it they are still soft when I open the mold, they don't get deformed being dropped on each other. I have a mold that drops bullets freely when it is good and hot, and tends to stick if it gets cooled down.

truckjohn
05-28-2013, 03:39 PM
I think as many here have mentioned - the alloy depends on the bullets....

I have melted down some batches of range lead that were really hard... Others were softer... All depends on what was in the pile...

Thanks

dverna
05-28-2013, 09:45 PM
There is no "bad" range lead. It can be easily modified as stated above.

I had the chance to get 1000 lbs about 8 years ago that had been taken out of an indoor range, but I was not casting then and like a dufus turned it down. Talk about a stupid thing to do. It like seeing 10 Ben Franklin's on the sidewalk and not stooping down to pick them up.