PDA

View Full Version : Pulling .40 S&W cast boolits

Jim..47
05-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Whats the best way?
Do any of those press mounted collet pullers work on the .40 S&W

Oreo
05-27-2013, 11:07 PM
How many are we talking about? No reason an impact puller won't work.

emorris
05-28-2013, 09:23 AM
I never had much luck with a coller type puller on a TC profile bullet. The taper of the bullet seems to let the coller to slide off too easy.

HATCH
05-28-2013, 09:46 AM
I use a impact puller.
Works great

YunGun
05-28-2013, 09:59 AM
I use a impact puller.
Works great

+1 Quick, cheap & easy....

ku4hx
05-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Whats the best way?

Best way for me is the collet puller if there is enough of the boolit's body to grab onto. I've also used vice grips to grab the bullet as it's raised up through a single stage press die hole. Just slowly lower the round and the case will slide off the boolit. Did that with a couple hundred but had to buy an extended case holder to get the boolit high enough and through the die hole.

Other than that, an inertial puller will work.

Jim..47
05-28-2013, 11:34 AM
I've got somewhere around a hundred or so, reason is I read the info about not using the Lee FCD too late. I have a couple inertia pullers, but my hands are weak. so the Gent below has offered me something to try that may well work. They are Lee 175G trunincated so the vicegrip should work.

Best way for me is the collet puller if there is enough of the boolit's body to grab onto. I've also used vice grips to grab the bullet as it's raised up through a single stage press die hole. Just slowly lower the round and the case will slide off the boolit. Did that with a couple hundred but had to buy an extended case holder to get the boolit high enough and through the die hole.

Other than that, an inertial puller will work.

Thanks You sir! :-D

Shiloh
05-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Whats the best way?

NO!!
There is not enough boolit to grab. I pulled a boat load when convalescing from knee surgery. Did it with a kinetic puller in batches. Salvaged new primed brass, jacketed Hornady XTP and AA #5 powder.

Shiloh

Shiloh

Silverboolit
05-29-2013, 12:20 AM
I use a 1/2" drive socket that fits over the ram on my RCBS RC. The case comes up througgh the drive hole and can ge caught with a sidecutters. Lower the ram and the bollit come soff. Really easy.

Jim..47
05-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks, I'll be giving that a try. I couldn't make the vice grips work, the crimp ( even though it was moderate) won't let go of the boolit.

ku4hx
05-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks, I'll be giving that a try. I couldn't make the vice grips work, the crimp ( even though it was moderate) won't let go of the boolit.

Vice grips I had to use with their nose ("grip tip") down toward the bullet; crosswise never worked. I've also used wire cutters @ 90º to the cartridge depending on boolit nose profile.

mold maker
05-29-2013, 10:05 AM
If ya seat the bullet a little bit deeper, it will break the tension with the case, allowing some slack in the crimp. Just back the crimp die out a round and set the seat die deeper.
The inertia puller, or vice grips will work easier then.

MGySgt
05-30-2013, 09:03 PM
I use an old pair of Wire pliers (like you get in the a kit with different wire ends) I use the crimp portion and it pulls any boolit or bullet that I can get a hold of.

I do not use a die in the Single station press - just lay the flat part across the top of the press.

Horace
05-31-2013, 01:36 AM
As stated above wire strippers work very well.

Horace