PDA

View Full Version : Flobert .32 rim fire

Rundownfid
09-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I just bought a Flobert 32 fim fire rifle. It is a rather nice, although not mint by any strectch of the imagination. I see that .32 rim fire is "available" but very expensive. I would really like to shoot this rifle, but can't see the price. Would it be possible, (reasonable?) to chamber it in .32 S&W? The action seems rather "soft" so I would imagine that very light loads would b required. Anyone know about this; or a gunsmith who will?
Thanking you in advance.
Steve

Bent Ramrod
09-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Rundownfid,

I would say it's probably a bad idea. If it's an original Flobert action, the only thing holding the breech shut is the spring tension on the combination hammer/breech block. If it is the "Remington" system (and Remington should have sued for slander), it will have a stingy little rolling block on a teeny pin between the hammer and the barrel breech. The breeching is extremely flimsy and I would be amazed if it would hold the pressure of a high-speed 22LR. The "Warnant" system has a kind of pseudo "trapdoor" action, but the block is only held on the barrel by two thin strips of metal. This might hold a .32 S&W short, but the firing pin would have to be redone for centerfire, and, again, I doubt there is much of a safety margin there.

If the gun has a shootable bore, it is kind of uncommon anyway, and if it is a fancy one, someone would probably value it more in the original shape if you ever decide to unload it. I would recommend, if the gun is in shootable shape, that you spend about 1/4 what it would take to redo it as a centerfire on a box of .32 Shorts from Old Western Scrounger and check out how it shoots with them. That'll probably be about the limit of power you'll be able to get from a centerfire version, and you can then figure out whether it's worth it (or safe) to convert.

floodgate
09-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Rundownwfid:

I agree with BR; though I've never owned one, those Floberts have the reputation of being too feeble for extended use even for the .32 RF's, though a few of these would probably do no serious harm.

floodgate

KCSO
09-19-2007, 09:17 AM
The best solution is to reline it to 22 and move the firing pin. Then chamber it for 22 short and shoot CB Caps. Do not try 22 lr as it won't stand up.

Rundownfid
09-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Thank you, even though this was not what i had wanted to hear it soounds very reasonable.

Bluehawk
09-21-2007, 09:01 AM
My brother-in-law inherited one in 32 in the late 80s We shot allthe ammo that came with the gun and then ordered some from Navy arms , who at the time was importing it from Brazil . It was GOD Awful expensive but a bit hotter than the original we had been shooting.
I would have made an adequate squirrell rifle but we ahd hoped it woud make a decent 75 yard turkey gun It was way too anemic for that SOLD it to a guy who put it in his Bar as decoration

exblaster
09-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I have and shoot a Flobert on the Remington system. It is chambered for .32 S&W long. I have about 300 rounds through sense I re chambered it. I use round ball and a light powder charge. It has not developed head space or stretched cases yet.
It is not a strong action but with care it will work. .32 rim fire works at about 20K PSI so if you stay under that it will last as long with the conversion as with the original cartridge.
Exblaster

Rundownfid
09-24-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, taking your advice I bought a box of 50 .32RF, costs $48 deliverd from Old West Scrounger. It was a very soft load, almost no recoil and very little noise. Chrono'd at 830fps (only the one shot it costs a buck a shot. 3 shots off hand and it put two in the same hole and the third not far off.
Doing some measuring showed it to be almost the simplest of rechambering. The firing pin would be a problem but the beech is removable and the pin itself seems to be held in with a simple screw, but no I won't rechamber to .32 S&W.....but what a sweet little rifle if....

HORNET
09-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Why rechamber? Check the dimensions on the .32 Colt. Marlin used to make a levergun that would handle .32 Colt or .32 Rimfire if you flipped the firing pin. Brass and molds could be a challenge though...[smilie=1: