PDA

View Full Version : Casting Accurate Mold Problems

billdean
05-27-2013, 01:46 AM
As you can see by the picture I have a problem with one cavity of my mold. I need some help on what I can do about it. I have tried heating it up an wiping it down but it has not helped. I am new to casting and I am sure there are some lessons I have to learn. The mold dropped good bullets at first but now I have small indents in one bullet of a 4 cavity mold. I am not sure how to clean a mold and start over.

SWANEEDB
05-27-2013, 01:56 AM
If it were me I would take it apart and scrub the heck out of it, hot water with dawn does a pretty good job, use a stiff tooth brush, dry it good and maybe use a bic lighter to O so very, very little smoke, get it up to temp and have a ball.

40-82
05-27-2013, 07:09 AM
A good heavy scrubbing with rubbing alcohol and a rag or a toothbrush often helps clean out oil or grease that you can't see with the naked eye. I like to follow the alcohol with a detergent like Dawn, as mentioned above, and hot water, and then making sure to dry the mold with a rag before starting again. Sometimes with a multi-cavity mold a particular cavity may be the one that consistently drops the poorly formed bullets in a given session. Sometimes the cause is not a dirty cavity but an improperly heated cavity, and this can be corrected by filling the cavity that is not filling out well first.

41 mag fan
05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
By the looks of the bases, if your using a down pour pot, try pressure casting. I have to do that to all my Accurate molds in the 45-70, to get my bases to fill out.

I start out by boiling my molds, any mold, in water with a few drops of Dawn dish soap. I'll let them sit in this water that i brought up to boiling and pulled off the burner for a good 5 min. Scrub with a nylon brush, toothbrush ect ect, rinse and repeat. I boil the water a couple of times and do this to make sure all oils get out of the pours of the mold.

runfiverun
05-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I would look that cavity over with a magnifying glass.
I bet you know exactly which cavity it is because the boolits are hanging up in it.
look for a little rolled over or dinged area right on the two drive bands.

billdean
05-27-2013, 02:30 PM
I would look that cavity over with a magnifying glass.
I bet you know exactly which cavity it is because the boolits are hanging up in it.
look for a little rolled over or dinged area right on the two drive bands.

There does seem to be a sliver right at the drive band. What would I do to remove it? All the bullets seem to hang up.

WHITETAIL
05-27-2013, 02:38 PM
+1 on cleaning it.
I use carbe cleaner, or break cleaner.
Ok now that we got that out ofthe way.
What cal. and what grain?

billdean
05-27-2013, 02:45 PM
45/70 caliber. The mold is a 4 cavity. 2 are 430 grain and 2 are 350 grain. The 350 grain is giving me the problem.

felix
05-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Fill the 350 grainer first. ... felix