PDA

View Full Version : Reactive target. A bad idea.

BBQJOE
05-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Cleaned out some drawers, and removed something that I don't even have a player for anymore.
VCR tapes.
I set a few up at my south 40 dirt berm range.
I hit the first one square in the full reel.
It was quite spectacular.

My range now has VCR tape blowing all over it, and hanging in the trees.[smilie=b:

MT Gianni
05-26-2013, 09:14 PM
A plugged up can of spray foam is a bad idea as well, unless you are fond of picking up foam peanuts.

Johnch
05-26-2013, 10:03 PM
A bunch of 1/2 full cans of black spray paint is also fun in the burning barrel

The kids put them in there after a IHMSA match years ago

AND I lit the barrel
Flaming cans cleared the road

John

338RemUltraMag
05-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Worst Idea on my end was a full can of pyrodex and a 30 cal tracer, I am glad the mining company beside the farm had a blasting permit or I think the cops would have definately been called that day.

TES
05-26-2013, 10:57 PM
A plugged up can of spray foam is a bad idea as well, unless you are fond of picking up foam peanuts.

I hear they taste great in a bucket of buttered popcorn! Wasteful people I tell ya!:kidding:

PhatForrest
05-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Tall skinny propane cylinders produce neat effects when shot. Not that I ever found one out in the woods and gave it a try or anything unsafe like that . .

jonp
05-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Tannerite under a very large watermelon. I think its still raining red clumps.

koehlerrk
05-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Tannerite under a very large watermelon. I think its still raining red clumps.

Ooohhh... I may have to try that one!

Foto Joe
05-27-2013, 09:23 AM
A cowpie with the wind blowing gently in the WRONG direction. But hey, how are ya gonna learn lifes hard lessons sometimes?

blackthorn
05-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Two and a half gallon of heavy machine grease set up on a stump and shot with a 300 H&H Mag. The guy that shot it had left his motor bike leaning against a tree MUCH too near the stump! We still rag him about that.

Triggernosis
05-27-2013, 01:03 PM
My range now has VCR tape blowing all over it, and hanging in the trees.[smilie=b:

Gives new meaning to the term "tinsel fairy", doesn't it?

C.F.Plinker
05-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Set cans of shaving cream on their side on a fence post then hit them in the base with a 22LR. You can follow the contrail to where the can landed (more or less) so you can put the remains in the trash.

BBQJOE
05-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Gives new meaning to the term "tinsel fairy", doesn't it?
Although I've never summoned the tinsel fairy, I can only imagine.

Mal Paso
05-27-2013, 10:04 PM
I was mad at a kitchen stove that tried to set me on fire. I grabbed it with the 4 way bucket on the tractor and crushed it. The Porcelain finish is Glass, does Not bend with the metal, and goes zinging off at high speed from the bent metal .......... and continues to pop and shed glass for an hour.

dilly
05-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Particle board with a shotgun is a lot of fun, if it's never been wet. It's not good for much else anyway. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from shooting hedge apples as well. When I graduated, all the books I didn't want that they wouldn't buy back were taped together into one huge bullet stopping pile of paper.

Side note: I think it's hilarious how people have largely forgotten the relationship between VHSs and VCRs. It never did make any sense, and now people are remembering tales of their "VHS players" and "VCR tapes". Nothing personal Joe, everyone does it.

xacex
05-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Particle board with a shotgun is a lot of fun, if it's never been wet. It's not good for much else anyway. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from shooting hedge apples as well. When I graduated, all the books I didn't want that they wouldn't buy back were taped together into one huge bullet stopping pile of paper.

Side note: I think it's hilarious how people have largely forgotten the relationship between VHSs and VCRs. It never did make any sense, and now people are remembering tales of their "VHS players" and "VCR tapes". Nothing personal Joe, everyone does it.
Hmm, to young to remember BETA tapes I guess. I remember having both side by side. There is a reason us old folks call them VHS. Remember laser disks? I never see those around anymore.

Shiloh
05-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Set cans of shaving cream on their side on a fence post then hit them in the base with a 22LR. You can follow the contrail to where the can landed (more or less) so you can put the remains in the trash.

Did that once with some cheap clearance shaving cream. We bought it all. Shoulda seen the look from the checkout lady.

Shiloh

BruceB
05-28-2013, 06:10 AM
My ultimate "reactive target" was when I tried to touch-off 1300 pounds of weeping nitro dynamite from 100 yards, with a .30'06 rifle and a .44 pistol, just to destroy it. Fortunately, it didn't work and I used a conventional cap and fuse to set off the pile.

Foto Joe
05-28-2013, 08:00 AM
100 yards???? Obviously it didn't work or you wouldn't be here!!

375RUGER
05-28-2013, 08:28 AM
A 5 gallon fuel can with about 3/4gal of gas -shaken on a warm summer night. An exploding target pasted to the front and a .22 IIRC. Really lights up the yard.

BBQJOE
05-28-2013, 10:42 AM
A 5 gallon fuel can with about 3/4gal of gas -shaken on a warm summer night. An exploding target pasted to the front and a .22 IIRC. Really lights up the yard.
Dammit man! You can afford to do that with gas???

BruceB
05-28-2013, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=BruceB;2235559]My ultimate "reactive target" was when I tried to touch-off 1300 pounds of weeping nitro dynamite from 100 yards,

Oops..... it was 13 CASES @ 50lbs each.... not 1300 pounds. Still, 650 pounds made quite a statement when it went off. We placed the cases in about six feet of water, which muffled the blast to some degree, but it was still impressive.

At that time I was using explosives fairly often, so had a good idea of what to expect.

I'd scattered some caps around in one case, which I then tried setting-off with the guns. Pure luck decided that no bullet hit a cap in that one case.

kir_kenix
05-28-2013, 05:14 PM
I used to shoot up old CDs and such on my backstop. They are easily seen and you can always claim to have shot through the middle of one if you actually miss. I stopped using them when I was push mowing the grass around my berm and a shard went through my shoe and broke off inside of my foot. Worse part about the whole experience was walking 1/2 of a mile back to my vehicle to get home....Had to use a shop vac to suck all the blood off the floor of my truck.

NVScouter
05-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Left over O2 tanks are fun until you forget to drain them completely. 200y dash to put out a the bush it was on. At least I only shoot metal w/jacketed in snow and there was about 2' on the ground.

Big Tom
05-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Looks cool on the video, but the intestents of that thing were all over the place when we cleaned up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1WvQzoRO4

DIRT Farmer
05-28-2013, 09:47 PM
A few years ago the meth heads were keeping their anhydrus in 20# grill tanks and hiding them in fields and brush piles along gravel roads. Check the wind first and it will leave a dead spot in the field.

dnepr
05-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Well I can't say I have had a reactive target be bad , some were boring ,but an old VW bug block was the funnest , smoke and bits of flame when hit , got to find another someday

leeggen
05-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Hey some of those VW blocks had magn. in them great long term bonfire, hard to get burning though. Used on beaches in Fl in the 80's.
CD

doghawg
05-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Got the bright idea of shooting junker golf balls off of golf tees with a .177 pellet gun once. It was a relatively low powered air rifle but when the pellet didn't break the skin on the ball and returned to sender...it felt like a .300 mag!

Nazgul
05-29-2013, 04:37 AM
Was given 2 of those big cans of baked beans, foot tall and round. Forgot about them until way after expiration date. Shot the first one too close with a 45-70. It "disappeared" at the impact. Had just enough time to think "Cool!" before the beans started raining down on me.

Had to clean them off the truck, the gun, my hair, pants, even had a shirt pocket full.

Don

Nazgul
05-29-2013, 04:38 AM
double

mroliver77
05-29-2013, 05:01 AM
Willbird duct taped 2 of the shampoo bottle sized canisters of Tannerite to a gallon of gasoline and set it on the seat of my bosses outhouse. He had a bible study going on so we had them come out to watch. I touched it off with a 22-250 and it looked like the opening sequence of "The Dukes of Hazard"! Best fireball i have ever witnessed! After we put the woods fire out we were amazes to find the outhouse completely dissembled!

Or 2 lbs Tannerite in a microwave. hehe Or 1 lb in the door jam of a 76 Chevelle!

I said to Bill, "You know it is odd that the police never come out to see whats going on. You would think somebody would complain." Bill looks at me and says, "Well Jay, it aint like they have never heard explosions at your place before." :lol:

BBQJOE
05-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Was given 2 of those big cans of baked beans, foot tall and round. Forgot about them until way after expiration date. Shot the first one too close with a 45-70. It "disappeared" at the impact. Had just enough time to think "Cool!" before the beans started raining down on me.

Had to clean them off the truck, the gun, my hair, pants, even had a shirt pocket full.

Don
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/barbecuejoe/smileys/doh.gif

Smoke4320
05-29-2013, 12:11 PM
shooting reactive steel targets with 45 ACP 230 Gr got too close once doing draw drills .. had one bounce off my leg..

Stopped and moved way back

rintinglen
05-29-2013, 12:52 PM
I was teaching my eldest daughter the importance of firearms safety at the range. To demonstrate the danger graphically, I elected to shoot an onion with a 30-30. Unfortunately, I neglected to take into account the fact that the wind was blowing in my face when I blew that onion into confetti at 10 yards, which resulted in an onion fragment falling on top of my shooting glasses frame and sliding down into my eye. Yes Virginia, onions will make you cry.

NVScouter
05-29-2013, 02:16 PM

Don
Miners come and go leaving all their ****. A few years ago we found a trailer with lots of canned good expired a decade before. And I had the same exterience......

midnight
05-29-2013, 03:32 PM
When I was a kid in the 50s I had a Bear Kodiak 54lb recurve bow. One of the cans of dog food was all swollen up and spoiled so I thought it would be a good target. I dead centered it with one of my homemade cedar arrows. When I pulled the arrow out of the can I got sprayed head to toe with the rottenest, stinkyest dog food you ever smelled. Ma was not happy with her eldest son.

Bob

Dale in Louisiana
05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
1975 - Grafenwoehr, Germany. We got new targets. An old deuce and a half truck found its last home eight hundred yards down on the fifty-caliber range. We were shooting up some downgraded (from 'combat-ready' to 'training use only') 4-API (Armor-Piercing Incendiary) 1-API-T (Same thing with a tracer). API had a dab of white phosphorus inside the nose that ignites when it hits something. Makes a nice white bloom in the daytime. It's really pretty at night.

I drew the first run on the range and got to hose that (relatively) new truck down. First burst ignited the last bit of diesel in its tanks and a few more set the engine block afire.

dale in Louisiana

Idaho Mule
05-29-2013, 11:43 PM
A friend and I were walking the edge of Alexander Reservoir one fall morning before school jump shooting ducks. We came across a floating body, about 10 feet from shore. After carefull inspection we discovered it was a dead pig. We did what any other normal duck hunting teenagers in the '70s would do. Stood back about 12 feet, counted down from three and both fired 12 gauges into the bloated and ugly thing. We had chosen poorly. The stupid pig had plenty of gasses pent up inside and vaporized into a nice gooey mess that completely coated us in stench. Needless to say we had to return home and shower AGAIN before we went to school. JW

mpmarty
05-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Our county dump site won't take old propane bottles unless they have a hole in them. I had one empty and one half full. I set them up at the berm and let fly with my 45/70 Lemme tell ya that half full one was flat spectacular. 350gr ranch dog went right through them too.

drsfmd
05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Hmm, to young to remember BETA tapes I guess. I remember having both side by side. There is a reason us old folks call them VHS. Remember laser disks? I never see those around anymore.

Or that new fangled 3/4 inch open reel video tape that came out around in the late 60's. I used to work in a studio in the late 80's, and people would come in with all sorts of old stuff that they wanted transferred to VHS. I would have to imagine that those same people are now bringing in the VHS tapes and wanting them transferred to DVD or digital.

nanuk
05-30-2013, 02:32 PM
I was mad at a kitchen stove that tried to set me on fire. I grabbed it with the 4 way bucket on the tractor and crushed it. The Porcelain finish is Glass, does Not bend with the metal, and goes zinging off at high speed from the bent metal .......... and continues to pop and shed glass for an hour.

I found that out the hard way also

I was making a fire tub for camp from a washing machine tub. took my angle grinder and cut the agitator out, then cut multiple slits into it horizontally.

THEN I took some big needle nose pliers and bent the metal to create louvers, to allow big air in, and all the ash would stay inside...

it pinged off glass shards for an hour.... I had numerous tiny pieces stuck in my face! (I wear glasses, so my eyes were protected)