PDA

View Full Version : BP loads in a Open Top

DCP
05-26-2013, 06:27 PM
I would like to try some BP loads in a Open Top.
I have a lot of smokeless bullets already lubed is the reason I am asking.

So can one take a smokeless pre lube boolit, or one with Lee Alox or a un lubed boolit? Loaded it in the case, then put Crisco or some other BP lube? Like a Cap and Ball and it will work ok?

bob208
05-26-2013, 06:46 PM
the first loads for the open top colts were outside lubed. what you want to do would be no differint then a cap and ball load. it will be messey.

Mr Peabody
05-28-2013, 10:20 PM
I shot my 1872 open top with fffg. I used the same lube I used for a 40-65 inside lubed bullet. I hand lubed the bullets. It's pretty easy as the lube is hard enough to rub the bullet against and not fall apart in your hand. I think SPG would be easy enough to work with. I didn't use a compression die like I would for the rifle though I tapped on the case with a pencil to settle the load before I seated the bullet. Set your charge so no air space is between the bullets base and the top of the powder charge. Oh I was loading a .44 Special with the Lee 200gr RNFP.

docone31
05-30-2013, 10:42 AM
I use the Lee 200gn RNFP. With pan lubing, it is pretty good. I size that to .452.
I got a box of 200gn RN from a commercial caster. It has a blue lube on one land. That also works well.
This is in a .45 Schofield load in an open top. Definately shoots high. I need to bring it down some.
No leading.