PDA

View Full Version : My 45 acp barrel slugged big.

Lights
05-26-2013, 12:47 PM
I have been having some issues with leading in my 1911 when shooting .452" cast bullets. The leading is in the groves from the end of the chamber up to about an inch and a half. So I slugged my barrel and it mic .4525"-.4533" depending on which grove I checked. I slugged it 3 times for good measure and all slugs were the same as the first. So I would need a cast bullet around .4535" to work well in this barrel. They are like non existent as far as I know. I also mic'ed the OD of the barrel and it is out of round, .577"-.580".:cry: This gun shoots plated or jacketed bullets just fine. I would just like to be able to shoot cast bullets in it. Gun is only 6 months old and has a lifetime warranty. Should I send it back and ask for a new barrel to be fitted to it? One that the grove diameter measures .4505"-.4515 like most other good 45acp barrels are.

Jupiter7
05-26-2013, 01:12 PM
I'd not mention anything about handloads or cast boolits. Just that your having accuracy issues and measured the barrel and found it to be out of round.

What maker? Just curious.

Lights
05-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Rock Island armory.

Your points are well taken.

bruce drake
05-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Call them up. They'll honor their warranty and you will get a new barrel out of their shop in NV real quick. I own 2 Rocks (a 45ACp and a 9mm/38Super)and they are a pro-active company when it comes to valid concerns. And they will note your efforts to pinpoint the issues with the barrel.

Bruce

jdgabbard
05-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Yeah, RIA is an awesome manufacturer.... If American Companies still retained the level of integrity that RIA has we'd have some very nice firearms today. On a side note, I never even mic'd my two RIAs. Just sized to .451 and shot them. Good results so far!

Larry Gibson
05-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Are you casting yourself or using commercial cast bullets?

Larry Gibson

Lights
05-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Are you casting yourself or using commercial cast bullets?

Larry Gibson

I am not casting my own yet. I have been trying Meister 200gr SWC's. I do not know how hard they are. I have also tried Missouri River 200gr FPRN and they are 18 bhn I believe.

jimb16
05-26-2013, 06:13 PM
If all else fails, go with a .454 boolit for the .45 Colt. It shoots comparable weights and is just big enough to work well in that barrel.

gefiltephish
05-26-2013, 06:21 PM
IF it'll chamber bullets that big. My RIA's won't chamber anything over .452.

Springfield
05-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Use softer lead bullets. 45 acp doesn't push them that fast, I use .454 at about 11 Brinnell all the time with no problems.

randyrat
05-26-2013, 06:29 PM
I see you said; "MIC" does that mean you used a Micrometer or was it measured with a caliper. Just checking because I verify and verify my measuring devices always and I always find my calipers off by a bit. But, it don't matter if you need a fatter bullet.

nightal
05-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Call 1-775-537-1444or1445, ask for Arnel, he is the master smith, am sure he will take care of you he may send you a pre paid tag so he can fit a new barrel..

Lights
05-26-2013, 06:37 PM
I see you said; "MIC" does that mean you used a Micrometer or was it measured with a caliper. Just checking because I verify and verify my measuring devices always and I always find my calipers off by a bit. But, it don't matter if you need a fatter bullet.

I am a toolmaker by trade. I have been building plastic injection and MIM molds for over 25 years. I am vary qualified to mic (micrometer)my slugs. Also if your calipers are off by .001" they are junk. I know where you are coming from with your questions for me and why.

Lights
05-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Call 1-775-537-1444or1445, ask for Arnel, he is the master smith, am sure he will take care of you he may send you a pre paid tag so he can fit a new barrel..

I talked to him on Friday. He did not think the grove diameter was a problem. I asked if there barrel grove diameters run on the large side and he said yes. He did say if it has accuracy problems to send it in. Should I send it in and request a new barrel? One that the grove diameter is more like .4505"-.4515"? Whould he know how to check it? I would hope so.

tomme boy
05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Send it back. I had to on mine. The barrel they sent back did not have the polished outside chamber though. One thing that needs to be checked on these RIA and others that are made by Armscore is the muzzle of the barrel. I have had a Citadel and a STI made by them. Both of them the last 1/8" of rifling was 1/2 missing. It looked like the tapered throat. I have seen 3 others that were the same way. Tell them to send a call tag. They will gripe about it, but insist on it. They will.

Lights
06-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Just got an email from Armscor/RIA. They replaced my barrel and bushing, accuracy tested it and it is on it's way back already. It did not cost me one penny. That is what I call customer service second to none.:awesome:

I am off to SD in the morning to shoot PD's with my 3 son's. I can't wait to get home on Sunday and check out the new barrel grove diameter. Then it will be off to the range to test it

randyrat
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
I am a toolmaker by trade. I have been building plastic injection and MIM molds for over 25 years. I am vary qualified to mic (micrometer)my slugs. Also if your calipers are off by .001" they are junk. I know where you are coming from with your questions for me and why. Yes you know why I asked...and yes I do have one pair that is junk.

Lights
06-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Got my gun back today from RIA. The fitted it with a new barrel and bushing. No charge at all to me. Plus the sent my old barrel back to me along with some goodies. That is what I call customer service. The new barrel slugged at .4515". Will see if it leads up or not this Thursday.

BattleRife
06-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Good to see this resolved, I think sending it back was the way to go. But, I am going to throw in my two cents for posterity.

I have a Colt 1911 that was shipped as a commercial pistol in 1916. The barrel in it is not original, it appears to be a WWII era replacement. It leaded terribly with the Lee .452 tumble lube bullets I tried in it first. So I slugged it, and it came out as .453". I bought a cheap Lee 2-cavity .456 mould that was apparently intended for the Ruger Old Army Revolver, and lubesized them through a RCBS .454" size die. They loaded and shot like a charm. With the concept proved, I ordered a 45-230B mould from Accurate Moulds, with the request that it drop bullets at a minimum of .454". I only have a couple of hundred rounds downrange so far, but my problem seems to solved.