PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Is Watching Indy Today?

Alan in Vermont
05-26-2013, 12:30 PM
This is the one day of the year that I schedule to watch a motor race.

Race is only a few laps old and J R Hildebrandt(sp) just took the wall.

I sure do hate to see AJ getting old, I'm an AJ as well and used to be nicknamed "Foyt", might have had something to do with my driving habits back in the Muscle Car era.

Big batch of rain west of Indy earlier but it was moving more south than east, hope it holds off.

abunaitoo
05-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Race just finished.
Great race. Kind of wish it didn't end under yellow.
Glad TK won.

Alan in Vermont
05-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I kinda hate to see a yellow finish too. Team Andretti actually placed pretty well this time and didn't have anything to cry about, I always love to hear them whimper.

I was expecting pretty good drag race after the last restart with four laps left, then Kanaan grabbed the lead and that last yellow came down and it was all over.

No serious crashes and nobody hurt, probably a bit disappointing for the bloodlusters but a good race, IMO.

Lloyd Smale
05-26-2013, 06:15 PM
I watched. Good race!

kens
05-26-2013, 07:08 PM
I watched too, did you notice all the empty seats? The stands were only half full.
I used to be an avid Indy fan, but then there was the split with CART, and Penske didn't do anything to alleviate that.
Then they went to 'class' racing. Now it is just an Indy 'class' race, all the cars are the same.
How in hell did we get to the point that a car owner has to choose for or against a Honda engine to run the Greatest Spectacle in Racing ( emphasis on the United States) racing.

Riverpigusmc
05-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Last time I was at Indy was the inaugural Brickyard 400..before that the Indy 500 when Johncock won in 72. I drove short track Late Models north of Indy for ten years.

Alan in Vermont
05-26-2013, 08:20 PM
How in hell did we get to the point that a car owner has to choose for or against a Honda engine to run the Greatest Spectacle in Racing ( emphasis on the United States) racing.

Apparently you didn't notice how many cars were Chevy powered this year.

runfiverun
05-26-2013, 09:03 PM
like all the front runners.

the indy 500 is squeezed in between the Monaco formula one grand prix, and the brickyard 600
it is #3 on my list of races to watch today.
sad.

DIRT Farmer
05-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I started loosing interest when they went away from roadsters to the lotus pattern. My choice today was driving to Indy and fighting the crowd, watching the race on TV or going to Friendship and shooting Muzzle loading skeet. I had to clean guns.

BTW did they get everyone in through security? The rumor was only half of the people were in side when the race started.

runfiverun
05-26-2013, 11:38 PM
the stands looked pretty empty for a while there.
I got to doing some casting and only glanced at the race occasionally after that.

wallenba
05-26-2013, 11:56 PM
I took a couple of looks. But I have lost interest in the great American race. Every car has been the same lately, a Honda. In the sixties we had cars with many different engines, even a turbine. The Drivers? Well, mostly rich foreigners I don't identify with. A.J. Foyt I could Identify with.

TXGunNut
05-27-2013, 12:11 AM
I don't do TV anymore but I love a good Indy Car race, only problem is the race you see on TV isn't anything like seeing it in person. First time I saw an Indy car up close was during practice @ Texas Motor Speedway, headed into turn one doing 200+ mph. I told my dad this guy wasn't going to make it. He did, of course. I'm a NASCAR fan, have been around a track at speed in a Cup car, but those Indy cars are flat awesome! Four tires, fuel and a wing adjustment in just a few seconds is pretty awesome as well.
I'll have plenty of time to read about the race at work tomorrow.

popper
05-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Kind of lost interest after the STP turbines were banned.

kens
05-27-2013, 06:38 PM
it would interesting to see a turbine powered racing. Piston engines can not compete with turbines, there is no comparison and I can understand why they were banned.
But, why not open a class of racing for the turbines. ?? STP ran a early version of the PT6, and now the PT6 is well over 1200hp. It was about 550 back then.

Bad Water Bill
05-28-2013, 04:17 AM
Since the Offenhauser dissapeared I started loosing interest. 4 bangers SHOULD be the only one under the hood.:kidding:

Was it true that coolers were not permitted on premises this year?