PDA

View Full Version : Spinal fusion

Goatwhiskers
05-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Well I said I'd report in when I could. Had the surgery morning of the 13th, then they had to go back in Friday to correct a spinal fluid leak. Now I've been in rehab for a week, making slow progress, but progress nevertheless. No hint when I'll get to go home and I know this'll put a crimp in my shooting and casting activities for a while but it'll all be worth it when healing is finished. Haven't had as much excitement as another cranky member of the forum but did manage to have a confrontation with a therapist yesterday. Requested permission to visit the head and was told to finish the set I was doing, then when I looked around she was busy with someone else. Went ahead and tended to my business, got back and got chewed on for going to the bathroom by myself. Told the idiot I knew I wasn't supposed to but I wasn't going to wait and soil myself waiting on her. Was quickly told I was thru for the day. Doubt I'll be seeing much of her. Anyway, things are going well and looking forward to getting back home and burning powder. GW

jmort
05-26-2013, 11:33 AM
I just love it when medical personnel take the patient's "needs" for granted. Sounds like she would make a good drill Sargent.

runfiverun
05-26-2013, 11:44 AM
I was wondering how things were going.
sounds like you are doing pretty good if you're well enough to out grumpy the staff and are doing phys. therapy.
keep it up.

44man
05-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Was fusion needed? I am against that all the time. Ruptured disks can be healed. My wife had three from an accident and is now perfect after spine extension and nutrients. No surgery at all.
I feel bad for you but I hate those that want to cut right off.

Goatwhiskers
05-26-2013, 02:51 PM
In my case it is well that I went ahead and did it. Had problems for a long time but over the last month things were noticeably going downhill. Doc told me after he went in that the damage was a good deal worse than he anticipated and he had to remove more bone than planned to get pressure off the nerves. I expect healing to take longer than I would wish but the plan is to get back to 90% of where I was before this **** started 7 yrs ago. GW

44man
05-26-2013, 03:09 PM
It is a real hard call. I just hope you get better.

WILCO
05-26-2013, 03:42 PM
It is a real hard call. I just hope you get better.

Indeed! Thanks for bringing us up to speed G.W. I'll toss up one of those prayers for you.

DLCTEX
05-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Praying for rapid healing.

JeffinNZ
05-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Just remind the therapist that you are the client. LOL.

missionary5155
05-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Good morning
I will also pray for your healing. A Pastor friend had this done 10 years ago . After the healing he had descent mobility and was near pain free.. far better than his previous pain wracked near immobile life.
I try remind hospital staff whose hand it is that feeds them. Sadly the medical system seems to deeply instill into the student hopefuls "how important they are to the future of humanity". Some take it too literally and thier pride takes over. Any system that is governed and policed by thier "Teachers" soon becomes corrupted and self perpetuating.
Mike in Peru

Teddy (punchie)
05-27-2013, 08:16 AM
God Bless Hope You Feel Better !! Theodore

dg31872
05-27-2013, 08:19 AM
My father had one disc removed and two pair fused back in the 70's. He did fine. He was a farmer and stayed active. The only time it bothered him was if he had to lay up for a while ( like if he had the flu). But, after he got over the flu and got back up and moving, he was fine again. His days of heavy lifting were over, but I was usually around to pick things up for him. He lived like that for twenty something years until the years of smoking caught up with him. But he never was sorry that he had his spine work done.

tbj555
05-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Glad to hear your doing good, I had 4 fusion's done from c3-c7 in my neck in 2009 and it still give's me hell once a month but much better then before surgery.

historicfirearms
05-27-2013, 10:18 AM
I had my c4-c6 fused in 2009. It was the best thing I've ever done. I didn't realize all the pain I was in before the surgery. Once in a while I have some minor aches now, but nothing like the misery I was in before. It took a couple weeks after the surgery before I was able to get back to normal life. Hang in there!

rexherring
05-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Had it done in 1979. 10 fused with two metal rods still in my back, 28 days in the hospital and a body cast for 8 months. The Doc said I should go on disability, ya right, been at the same job now for 33 years. Good luck, it helps to get the nerves back to normal.

Recluse
05-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Physical therapists are supposed to push you, but denying anyone a trip to the head is bravo-sierra. My experience with physical therapists has been that the majority of them were incompetent alpha-hotels who were too stupid to pass the civil service exam to become a cop, so this was the next best thing in which they could be "in charge" and bark orders.

You'll know when you're healed up, and then when you are, check the hell out of the hospital--otherwise they'll milk you for every additional day they can.

Oddly enough, shooting has always been great physical therapy for me.

Take care of yourself and let us know how things progress.

:coffee:

TXGunNut
05-27-2013, 06:00 PM
I've had some great physical therapists but they all had a mean streak, seems it comes with the territory.

Goatwhiskers
05-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Well, things promise to get more interesting. A certain "tech"(someone who changes your sheets and bathes you if your condition prevents such) has been voluble in her statements about me hitting the can alone at night even tho I was specifically instructed and observed in how to transfer from bed to chair to the can and back safely considering the type of surgery I've had. Last nite took them 3hrs to get me a pitcher of water, never did get the cup of coffee I asked for this AM. Frankly I wouldn't feed the grub to my dog, the only thing going good is the therapy, I'm slowly getting better every day. I promise to try to be good and control my verbal impulses, but only to try. GW

scottiemom
05-29-2013, 05:30 PM
glad to hear you are doing well. I know what you mean about PTs. I was in PT three times a week for almost a year - I called my therapist every name I could think of! but the end result was good. hope you are home soon.

RoyEllis
05-30-2013, 12:13 AM
GW, I've added you to our prayer list. I sincerely hope you recover quickly & can escape the "torture droids", I know what a PITA they usually are. Been in PT for several months myself & am scheduled for lumbar fusion in June, guess we can be brothers in misery!
No matter how they act or talk...remember you are the patient & they're supposed to attend to your needs, not try to break you to their will. If it comes down to it, let me know and I can get you info for some patient advocate help to light a fire to their feet. Give them one of my favorite quotes "never strike a king unless you can kill him with your 1st blow...his revenge shall be terrible, mercy will not be given".

Goatwhiskers
06-01-2013, 11:53 AM
This is the 4th time I've tried to type this, gonna have to fire my computer operator, he keeps deleting things instead of sending them. The power of prayer is a wondrous thing. Things have really turned around, all attitudes are better, including mine. They fired the cook, grub is now markedly improved. I'm off my blood pressure med, everything is stable. Walking and leg strength is getting better every day. I was prescribed a leg brace for the weaker leg, that has now been canceled (long story behind that one, I didn't lose my temper). I'm scheduled to go home next Friday, long way to go but I'm thankful. I want to say that I visit here every day, the reason being that tho most of us have never met, it is one big family of caring people without the whining and sarcasm found on some other forums. As my Irish ancestors say, God bless all here. GW

jmort
06-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Thank you for the good report. It is an honor to pray, and keep praying for our fellow members. BTW, have always loved those Kipling quotes. Very powerful prose.