PDA

View Full Version : And the dark side claims anotherr.....

standles
09-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Had a buddy and his wife come over for dinner the other night. He is a big shooter and of course was drawn to my reloading bench. As folks probably know from some other posts, I am starting back casting after a long hiatus so I had the 450 on the bench, some cats boolits beside it and the assorted paraphenailia laying around.

He commented about it and I offered to fire the pot up and let him try his hand at it. Well the women played cards while I grilled supper and he started casting boolits. 2 hours later he had about 150 good bullets and a big grin on his face. He only stopped because he needed to eat. :mrgreen:

Today he called and told me he was ordering his RCBS Pro-Melt, lubrisizer, etc. etc. He even cancelled his 400.00 cast bullet orer and decided he would cast his own.

The dark side claims another victim. :drinks:

Steven

BruceB
09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Evil, Steven, that's what you are; pure danged evil.

Here you are, stuck in this tar-pit with the rest of us, and along comes your pal. You can't get OUT of the pit, so what do you do? Drag him INTO the pit, that's what.

Now he's stuck, too. I just bet you put a hell of a strain on relationships with his wife, too.

At least the ladies will now have ANOTHER subject to bemoan while you junkies are down there in the smoke and fire....

NVcurmudgeon
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Ah yes, the irresistibility of molten metal. Many of us have given first casting lessons to new and potential casters. I have found that if the pot is going when guests arrive, even non-reloaders often wish to try their hand at casting. Ladies are especially susceptible to the lure of galena. They are all Pandora's daughters and have to satisfy their curiosity. My wife always visits the shop when I am smelting. There is something about watching the ingots pile up that fascinates her. She even requested a 9 ounce Potter ingot for her desk.

Shiloh
09-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Yep.

The folks at the range are always curious about the '06 and Krag shells with lead boolits. "Where'd ya get those" they ask ?? "Cast em myself" I reply. [smilie=1: Then they see the groups and there eye brows go up.

When the discussion turns to economy of shooting and reloading at about 7 cents per shot and in-definite brass life, you can watch there eyes grow real big!!

Cast Boolits and Surplus Powder, THE WAY TO GO !! :)

Shiloh :castmine:

kodiak1
09-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Steven you may have just put that poor fella on to the path to the poor house.
Hope you can live with the stress of that for the rest of your life.
Ken.

Ricochet
09-18-2007, 07:45 PM
The other caster in my family is my daughter. She's not into shooting that much, but she's an artist and has used bullets from my moulds in jewelry she's made.

Harpman
09-18-2007, 07:45 PM
well, nuther "Leadman Walking"

standles
09-18-2007, 11:41 PM
Steven you may have just put that poor fella on to the path to the poor house.
Hope you can live with the stress of that for the rest of your life.
Ken.

HaHa My evil plan is working already....:twisted:

He called today to let me know he ordered the 45 colt dies I had mentioned and found US 300# of smelted WW from one of his other buddies that wasn't into casting anymore.

He is now wanting to come over and have casting days where we alternate houses so the girls can cook while we cast.

:drinks:

gray wolf
09-19-2007, 12:01 AM
SIR-------------------- your a bad, bad boy!!!

OLPDon
09-19-2007, 12:39 AM
But there is a down side. What may you ask?
Answer he will beat you to the wheel weight hot spots. I like to infulance folk who don't live near WW farms.
Well now that he is hooked his wife might like him casting but if she don't HMMMMM who will be at falt. Then your friends wife will be mad at:Fire: U and she won't talk to your wife because of that. Now wife is mad :Fire: at U and U will suffer.
Hope things work out for you and your friends.:drinks:
Don

OLPDon
09-19-2007, 12:47 AM
PS:
In the event things don't work out as you might have hoped.
What is the setup you have, so just in case you need $$$$$$ we here on Cast Boolits will be sure to help you with $$$$$ your unneeded shooting, casting, & ect.
Don

standles
09-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Yes I did think about the consequences some.

His wife is way cool with his shooting hobby. She even participates from time to time. Don't think it will be to much of a problem. They are small business owners and work together out of thier house. Some time away would probably suit her fine.

On my end I do not have the optional wife accessory. Tried that for 12 years and found out being married crimped my shooting hobby :mrgreen: My "girl" of present is as into guns as I am and can sometimes beat me shooting IDPA. I think she might get more upset about not being in on the casting.

The one point I did think out pretty well was the additional tax on the resources. It works out well though. I have the smelting equipment and he lives ~60 miles away in another town. I figure he is going to come to my house to make ingots and I get the benefit of him canvasing the next town over (Pensacola, FL).

Now if I can just get his wife to make cookies or something for the cating parties :coffee:

But in any event.. If I have to have a "garage sale" to cover legal costs I will put ya'll as first shots.

Steven

EMC45
09-19-2007, 12:59 PM
QUOTE-
Cast Boolits and Surplus Powder, THE WAY TO GO !! :)

Hear, hear Shiloh! I can't begin to tell you the enjoyment I get from shooting cast from the bolt guns! I use Unique and that stuff goes a long way!
P.S. I got a pile of WWs on my lunchbreak! Not gloating, not gloating![smilie=1: