PDA

View Full Version : Penta pins in MP mold?

Bagdadjoe
05-25-2013, 09:46 PM
I have a 358 MP 4 cav mold that I'm running 2 cavities with a large round hp and 2 flat. I just got a SAA 270 4 cav that came with the penta pins already installed so I started off with that. The bullets didn't want to come off that easily even though I had put some graphite powder on them...then halfway through the session I smoked the pins, only, with a wooden match. Neither was wonderful. After I got through (naturally) I took a good close look at the pins, they have machine marks in them that the rounds don't have..thereby affording grip for the bullets. I remember long time back reading someone polished theirs. Any feedback on that?
The real question is, is the penta any better expanding than the conical HP? Any photos from anyone?
thanks in advance.
Joe

Beagle333
05-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Machine marks? Nah, haven't noticed em. ;-) :kidding:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/Picture015_zps36d7ad56.jpg

But if you're thinkin' it won't let go of a boolit.... (and I would have bet good money on it when first looking at em), just put some of the sprue lube on a Qtip and touch the flat sides of the pentas with it and cast away. The boolits even have the "wood grain looking" pattern inside the HP. :grin: But mine did just drop right off, the same as the round pins. (Get em HOT or they won't ever let go of one.... ever.)
Other than adding lube a little bit more often than with the rounds... I didn't notice a casting difference. I love em and ordered them with my upcoming GB molds too. 8-)

'Can't help you with how they expand. I only shoot cans and paper. I just like the look of HPs.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/cast%20boolits/Picture019_zps61f8a684.jpg

Forrest r
05-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Ya, I use some 600 grit paper on all of my molds that have the penta points & polished those pins. I setup the molds to run 4 round hp's, no problem. When I setup the molds to run 2 round hp's & 2 penta point hp's. Had to have the heat way up to get them to release. After polishing the penta pins I didn't have to have the heat up so high.

Bagdadjoe
05-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Cool! I knew I could depend on a good answer, just not at lightening speed! I'll may carry some of the hollow points in my tactical New Vaquero .45 Colt :) thanks for the response.

Oreo
05-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Polishing the pins with some fine grit sand paper is the way to go.

2wheelDuke
05-25-2013, 11:29 PM
I have a set that I've been meaning to polish for a while now. I don't think I got them hot enough when I tried before. I kinda put the round pins in and never looked back.

Seeing those pics makes me want to get the penta pins going again.

Hamish
05-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Try the local auto parts store for sandpaper up to 2000 grit, it'll blow your mind what you can do with it running in 400 grit jumps.