PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 429 250 Devastator/Lee 430310 RNF

Boyscout
05-25-2013, 08:52 PM
I finally make it to the range to test out my NEF .44 Rem Mag and cast loads. Something must have happened to my scope; I couldn't get it to focus (4x Bushnell Pro-Diamond Shotgun scope). Even so, I was pleasantly suprised by the results. Everything I read said that the 310 gn Lee RNF would not stabilize. While the group wasn't great, they didn't keyhole or have any extreme flyers. Had I been able to see the bullseye more clearly, I think the groups would have tightened up more. My bullet speeds also exceed what the Lyman manual said I should have achieved by a substantial amount. Neither bullet was loaded to the maximum charge. Any suggestions on a scope for this rifle? I suspect the shotgun scope may be toast and not appropriate for the rifle.7156471565

flipajig
05-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Have you slugged your barrel? I had the same problem with a tender barrel slugged the barrel sized the Boolite and it all came together.
Flip

44man
05-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Who in the world said the Lee 310 is not stable? I am sure you did not read that here.
All it needs is the proper velocity and spin. I was hitting beer cans at 200 yards with a revolver. A rifle can actually over spin with the higher velocity as long as twist is proper, revolvers can under spin if velocity is too low.
Now I don't know the twist in the NEF.
Strange about the scope. I am sure they will fix it free, they are tough scopes. The focus is a simple movement of a lens at the eye piece but it might have come loose.

Boyscout
05-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I believe I read in it in Handloader Magazine . Once I get the scope problem fixed I will bracket my first load and see which direction improves the accuracy on both of the bullets. I also have settled on a load for the Lee C429-240 SWC: 21 gn Win 296, LPM primers. I may experiment a little more but it shoots very well as is out of the NEF rifle. I have not taken any of my loads up to maximum per the Lyman and Lee manuals and have no intention of doing so unless the accuracy holds.