PDA

View Full Version : Playing with 3-D Printing

Dale in Louisiana
05-25-2013, 08:10 PM
In between casting and lubing a batch or two of ammo, I ran off a few things on my 3-D printer.

clockwise from the upper left is a loading block that works well with .45-70 and 7.62x54R, a block that organizes .45 boolits, another block that holds .30 boolits, and the little square cup fits between the toes of a Harbor Freight 1-Ton arbor press to catch the gaschecks from a FreeChex III.

I think it's neat to telescope a bunch of hobbies together.

dale in Louisiana

Revolver
05-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Neat, did you build your printer? What is the material those blocks are made from? Good job.

Dale in Louisiana
05-25-2013, 10:07 PM
The printer is a kit, the PrintrBot Plus. I'm using ABS plastic. It's soft enough to extrude at 230 C (446 F). It is soluble in some solvents like acetone, which is a problem in some applications, but for handloading activities it works great.

dale in Louisiana

starmac
05-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Well how much for them. lol

Dale in Louisiana
05-25-2013, 10:37 PM
starmac-

haven't given it any thought.

What's a block with twenty-five little holes in it going for these days?

dale

starmac
05-25-2013, 11:41 PM
As much as you can get. lol

MOcaster
05-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Awesome! Someone with a 3D printer! Would you try out the AR-15 30 round mag plans from defcad? I really want to know how they turn out. If they work, that might justify buying a 3D printer. But really I am sure I could find a way to justify one even if the mags didn't work, 3D printers are just so cool.

Dale in Louisiana
05-26-2013, 10:27 AM
I haven't tried the DefCAD mags yet. I did download that set of files for the Liberator' pistol but it's got some serious issues with scaling.

That's the interesting part of this whole 3-D phenomenon: It's not plug and play technology. It's about where computers were in 1979. You have to really want to play with the technology.

Or maybe its more akin to loading for a rare and obsolete caliber: You can do it, but you're going to jump through a lot of hoops to get there. These little loading thingies are easy. I've done a shotglass that holds liquid. The current set of gears on the printer's extruder, a pair of custom herringbone gears, are something I printed. I've done some little desk ornaments. All that is about as thrilling as entering a BASIC program on an early computer and seeing a dot YOU programmed bouncing around the screen.

dale in Louisiana

MOcaster
05-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Well, good luck with your printing. I know what a 3D printers is but that is about it. Really, anything you print will amaze me. I have no idea what it takes to print anything. Again, good luck.

JeffinNZ
05-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Neat. I have gotta get me a 3D printer.

Love Life
06-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm jumping into this one feet first. The possibilities are endless with the 3-D printers, and will only increase as technology advances. I wonder if these will end up regulated (at the push of big business) since you can print amll things you normally buy.

Dale, I would love to bounce things off of you once I get up and running.

Dale in Louisiana
06-03-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm jumping into this one feet first. The possibilities are endless with the 3-D printers, and will only increase as technology advances. I wonder if these will end up regulated (at the push of big business) since you can print amll things you normally buy.

Dale, I would love to bounce things off of you once I get up and running.

Jump on in.

The next step after getting your printer and printing off a few of the designs available on line (print a pair of little owls cuddling. Girlfriend says "AWWW!" and doesn't think you quite as big a whacko for owning a 3-D printer) you'll need to get familiar with some of the 3-D CAD (Computer-Assisted Drafting) programs because there aren't that many firearm-related things out there. I am learning to design my own.

I have already mad a few handloading accessories, mostly loading blocks. I'm looking at making a feed guide for my FreeChex III next.

dale in Louisiana

Love Life
06-03-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm sitting here looking at all the things that I could print off. I ordered some books on the subject. What 3-d CAD programs would you recommend? Are they something you can learn by yourself, or would I benefit from a local college course on CAD?

Thanks a bunch.

Dick

ETA: Are you using the ABS plastic or the PLA filament

pdawg_shooter
06-03-2013, 04:51 PM
OK, print me off a stacked redhead millionaire babe who owns a reloading and casting supply store!

41 mag fan
06-03-2013, 06:01 PM
OK, print me off a stacked redhead millionaire babe who owns a reloading and casting supply store!

LOL....I was thinking of going back thru Playboys and having a few centerfold playmates printed off!!

km101
06-04-2013, 01:07 AM
That is soooo cool. I was reading an article today that predicts 3D printing will lead to another Industrial Revolution! It also predicted the demise of whole industries (but didn't say which ones), so I'm not sure that I would put that much faith in their predictions, but it is really innovative at the least.

Norbrat
06-04-2013, 01:26 AM
I haven't tried the DefCAD mags yet. I did download that set of files for the Liberator' pistol but it's got some serious issues with scaling.

I've recently modelled the Jaco designs Mini Pistol. I even massaged the geometry to be able to load 22LR, not just 22 short.

If you are interested, send me a PM with the format you would like the parts (stp, iges?) and I'll send them.

Dale in Louisiana
06-04-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm sitting here looking at all the things that I could print off. I ordered some books on the subject. What 3-d CAD programs would you recommend? Are they something you can learn by yourself, or would I benefit from a local college course on CAD?

Thanks a bunch.

Dick

ETA: Are you using the ABS plastic or the PLA filament

dick-

Using ABS here. Higher temps.

Using Google SketchUp with add-on to convert the files to .stl for the printer software, which is Repetier Host and slic3r to get them into the printer.

pdawg-

Oh, I'm already doing those by the six-pack. A hundred and fifty bucks reserves you a set.

dale in Louisiana

Artful
06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Oh, I'm already doing those by the six-pack. A hundred and fifty bucks reserves you a set.

dale in Louisiana

I think my wife mailed a 6 pack to a little girl in Washington state

David2011
06-05-2013, 08:29 PM
That's the interesting part of this whole 3-D phenomenon: It's not plug and play technology. It's about where computers were in 1979. You have to really want to play with the technology.

dale in Louisiana

In the computer shop we used to call it "Plug it in and play with it until it works." At least you're producing useful stuff!

David

popper
06-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Used those for severalyears to prototype parts. You using the ink jet stle or the lazer polimerizing liquid type? Stick to the high end Pro-E type programs.