PDA

View Full Version : Memorial for Memorial Day

DCP
05-25-2013, 12:12 PM
For some this maybe to hard. For me I must, for all the (Bobs). For those that can please do

ROBERT BRUCE CURRAN was born on August 16, 1950 and joined the Armed Forces while in AURORA, IL.

He served as a 11D20 in the Army, and attained the rank of SP4/E4. He began a tour of duty on September 12, 1970.

On August 5, 1971, at the age of 20, ROBERT BRUCE CURRAN perished in the service of our country in South Vietnam, Quang Nam.

You can find ROBERT BRUCE CURRAN
honored on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Panel 3W, Row 123

Rest in peace BOB

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Oh my after all these years it still hurts.

DCP
05-25-2013, 09:12 PM
As we celabate Memorial Day Please thank a Veteran

smoked turkey
05-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Thank you for sharing that special remembrance for Memorial Day. I am sure it still hurts. I cannot imagine how it would be. A heartfelt "thank-you" to you and Bob.

gbrown
05-26-2013, 10:32 AM
My personal friends who gave their all.

Leonard St.Clair USMC 1968
Freddie Stafford U.S. Army 1969
Leonard Poore U.S. Army 1969
Glenn Dennis USMC 1969--I talked to him at Leonard St. Claire's funeral (I was a pall bearer)
Rene Buller U.S. Army 1970--Really sad, came from a family of C.O.'s--still wanted to serve his country as a medic, died while helping wounded buddies.

GaryN
05-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks for reminding us what Memorial Day is realy intended for.

missionary5155
05-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Good afternoon
Lance Corporal Michael C. Farrell 8 May 1968 gave his all at the DMZ in RVN. How I have missed his smiling face and getting jabbed in the arm. I will be up at dawn facing north to salute all my Brothers in Arms.
Mike in Peru

DLCTEX
05-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Pvt. Lindsey Gruben, Omaha Beach on D Day. My Uncle.

DCP
05-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Gentlemen Thank you for remembering what this weekend is about, you folks are a class act.

As goes the Nation goes Cast Boolits

A post on Moles started 4hrs after this one has 544 view and 29 replies

This one 153 views 7 replies.

Looks like a lot of folks just don’t care any longer

Surely sad times we live in.

Teddy (punchie)
05-27-2013, 08:19 AM
God Bless to all that give US this Great Land !!!!

Echo
05-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Gene Tinnin, CWO USN. KIA 1968 on 5th tour. Plank holder on SEAL Team 1. My 2nd cousin. Could go bear huntin with a switch. Good man.

popper
05-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Memorial day, Veteran's day, Armed Forces day, most don't know the difference. I get the sharp elbow whenever vets are asked to stand by someone who doesn't know anything about it. No-one shot at me, I wasn't asked to shoot back. I spent 4 yrs being prepared. I'll honor and salute those who really did something. My thanks to those ( and those here) that did.

gbrown
05-27-2013, 12:24 PM
I should also add
Chief Petty Officer Frank D. Brown USN 1943-1946, USAR 1938-1941 Repair facility SF (Father)
Seaman 1C William McCloud (served on jeep carriers in Pacific WWII) (Uncle)
Sgt James Brown US Army (New Guinea WWII) (Uncle)
Sgt Ben Brown US Army (Alaska WWII) (Uncle)
1st Lt Shornden McCloud US Army Air Corps WWII (knocked out of sky by wingman who paniced and cut a tail boom off his P39) spent 15 months as POW of the Germans.
Fred Brown
Billy Glenn McCloud
Shornden McCloud
All cousins who served.

lbaize3
05-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I sincerely miss all of my friends, both dead and alive, that I served with in Vietnam. Each and every one was a hero in their own way.

DCP
05-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Charles McMullen
Served with General Patton.
Tank driver.
Lost his eye when his tank exploded.

A small Quit man with the biggest heart and sense of humor I have ever seen.

Never once saw the man mad

MY Uncle

Finster101
05-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Memorial day, Veteran's day, Armed Forces day, most don't know the difference. I get the sharp elbow whenever vets are asked to stand by someone who doesn't know anything about it. No-one shot at me, I wasn't asked to shoot back. I spent 4 yrs being prepared. I'll honor and salute those who really did something. My thanks to those ( and those here) that did.

I am with you on this. I spent my 4 years but not much was asked of me. I am proud of my service but do not feel it is on par with those that have seen combat.

country gent
05-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Remeber all who have "stood on the wall" in peace time wartime or anytime they are the ones to Thank for all our freedoms and way of life as it exsits. All vets every single one deserves our admiration for what they gave. I also include Police rescue personel and firefighters in this statement. I dont always agree but always respect them. All give to the Tree of freedom and it continuing fruits we are granted. With out all these people life would be very diffrent. Today is a day to remeber friends ,family, and people no longr with us. I have toght off and on all day about my wife ( lost in 2002) A friend just after we graduated, many family members, and others that have been "lost" over my 50 years. Keep them all in your hearts and prayers, and keep all those close to you dear while they are here and you can tell them and show them.

DCP
05-27-2013, 06:16 PM
I cry for the USA

Moles now at

Replies: 32
Views: 626

missionary5155
05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Brothers remember... The American Revolution was fought for and won by 10% of the population. Cannot really expect to much more today. Most people seldom see anything beyond thier own nose let alone consider the sacrifices of others.
But we few will never have to hang our heads low. I choose to remember, I choose to be a participant. No one can ever take that from an American !
Mike in Peru

gbrown
05-27-2013, 07:59 PM
You know, I was never in the thick of it, never saw combat. All of my assignments were "rear echelon" types. But I was there, never a doubt in my mind, if sent, I would go and do my duty. Spent 4 to 5 years active, 2 deployments, 20 years in reserve status. As said before, no one shot at me, I didn't shoot at anyone, either. I served, that's all I can say. I was ready, willing and able to "Do What Has to be Done". I always have admired the U.S. Army Drill Sergeant's badge that states "This We Will Defend". Kind of my mindset. I am very proud of the young Americans who still answer the call to duty/service. There may not be a lot of us, but there are still Patriots that answer the call to duty--for that I am thankful.

DCP
05-27-2013, 08:39 PM
As the sun sets on another day WE few will remember

Thanks to you all

Vaya con Dios

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
WE will remember them.

DIRT Farmer
05-27-2013, 10:29 PM
I was at a shoot earlter this year and stood at "somewhat" attention or as well as a 64 Y/O can do. After the music ended I recieved a lecture on it is time to get over it, and be proud of our service, salute. Short timer,due to health, never shot at, never had the oppertunity to return fire.

My father, drafted in March 1944, returned home the first time 44 months later. My sons, one of who is stilll in.

scarry scarney
05-28-2013, 12:06 AM
SSgt Richard Dickerson, 28 April 2013, 24yr from Beale AFB

Valley Forge
05-28-2013, 01:53 AM
I am grateful to those who served. Thank you.

gmsharps
05-28-2013, 02:58 AM
Frank Baker gave his all Khe Sahn March 1971 (you will not be forgotten)

popper
05-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Got a thanks email from my bro, surprised me. Thanks to Bob Tousignant B-24 Purple heart, Cros Johnson WWII engineer Alaska, Danny - purple heart, Cobra & rescue, the men I served with, taught me and are gone now.

WRideout
05-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Pvt. Lindsey Gruben, Omaha Beach on D Day. My Uncle.

Francis Randall, France 1944. I also give my life for my country, every day, in his memory.

Wayne

41 mag fan
05-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Sorry this is late...as yesterday I was having a hard time and didn't want to think about it.
Started out as bunk mates in basics and A.I.T.
He was a Nicaraguan. Emigrated here under political asylum, joined the army to prove his loyalty to the U.S.
Anyways, we were bunk mates, he took the top, I took the bottom bunk. I taught him many things, as his dialect was heavy, and he taught me many things.
The teaching, I remember the most, was to laugh and be happy, and roll with the flow of what life throws at you. It wasn't till 10 yrs later, that this teaching sunk home.
I got out in March of '89, and came home.
2 yrs later, I get my letter to report to Ft Leonard Wood, to go to the Gulf War build up of troops.
Sadly I guess, my ex wife now, was having pregnancy complications, and I got dismissed from having to report.
We took our daughter home, Jan 17, 1991, the same day the Gulf War started.
I watched the TV back then daily, watching for names, hoping and praying i didn't see names of my unit on the KIA's.
On that aspect, I did not.
In August, 1998, that month will burn in my mind forever, I was single, raising my 2 kids on my own, and got bored and decided to look up a fella from my unit we called Chaps.
Got ahold of George, did our talking and reunion to each other, then George asks where I was, I told him my daughter situation. He said his appendix burst while in Ft LeonardWood, and they sent him home.

Then he asked if I knew about Rolando? I said no what's up?
He then went on to explain, Rolando was at the Marine barracks in Riyadh when the scud missile hit it. He was killed when it hit.
I went into shock, I didn't even say goodbye on the phone, I hung up and went into my own world.
I guess I'm still in my own world, as I haven't looked to see if it was true, George wouldn't lie to me about it. I haven't called George back, if I had a confirm, it might be more than I could handle.

I have lived with this going on 15yrs now. The days I remember are bad, full of guilt.
It should of been me who died in that scud missile attack, not Rolando.
I've asked God, shook my fist at God, and finally a bitterness has settled onto me as to why Rolando and not me. He was a better person than me, deserved to live compared to me.
But there has to be a reason, I'll never understand.

R.I.P.
Rolando Deleganeau

People who never serve in the military, whether in wartime or peace, will never understand the bonds you develop, in the military with the person next to you. More so in combat over peace time, but the bonds never falter or waiver.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Roger Fike. We joined the Army together and he was killed in Nam on his first mission out. Helicopter was shot down. I got over there a few months later.

DCP
05-28-2013, 09:51 AM
I knew this was going to be hard for some.
It was real hard for me
God Bless all of you

Larry Gibson
05-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Sorry I'm getting here late too. Memorial Day is always "hard" for me also. I spent a lot of years on active and Reserve/Guard duty (42 total) and could list a lot of names from Viet Nam, the Cold War and the War on Global Terrorism of service members I knew and served with that gave their all. I could list many that gave there all when I was there with them. I know many of the names of Soldiers who are on panels 1 & 2 of The Viet Nam Memorial and quite a few on other panels. I could list family before that served and/or gave all. Just too many. Been to a lot of Memorial Day Cerimony's (took part in a few too) but anymore I usually just walk the old sections of cemetaries and give a nod or a salute to veterans of all the services who's graves have no flowers, no flags and no visitors anymore as they are long forgotten. I shed a tear now and then too. I was a young lion once but now am getting old and soft and Memorial Day is a personal day for me to spend with a little time them until the day I spend all my days with my fellow verterans again..........lest we forget.

Larry Gibson

10-x
05-28-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm late too, no excuse. Friends brother KIA in RVN a year before I went over. Far as I know he's the only name on The Wall I really knew.

montana_charlie
05-28-2013, 05:41 PM
My wife convinced me to watch this video yesterday.
It'an hour long documentary on Arlington.
Perhaps some of you will appreciate what it says as much as I do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EyOSpMjwZps

CM

Able 5
05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
God bless them all. As the song goes...Old soldiers never die they just fade away.........

Blacksmith
05-30-2013, 12:22 AM
I served never in combat. Brother served. Uncle in WWII lots of combat and a Bronze Star. Grandfather in WWI. Two Great grandfathers in Civil War. Fourteen ancestors considered patriots in the Revolutionary War. Others in the wars before we were a nation. They all share in and are part of the history of this country and I salute them all as well as all who have answered the call to arms when needed.

I spit on my cousin who ran away to Canada and wish they had never let him and those like him back into this country.

Bzcraig
05-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Veterans Day and Memorial Day are both very sober days for me. One, remembering those who have given all in some cases to a grateful nation and in the case of VN War an ungrateful nation. The other thinking of those who are willing to put it all on the line when/if asked to do so knowing some of them become the next to be remembered. I spent one full day at Arlington and the War Memorials, one of the best/worse days of my life.

elkhuntfever
05-30-2013, 05:42 AM
John Murl McDaid and Bernie Rosales both paid the ultimate price in Vietnam. Two that I was honored to have as friends. Ithaca, Michigan.