PDA

View Full Version : Tested some converted brass.

wallenba
05-25-2013, 11:24 AM
This is just to say, that it is true, that even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. A month ago I bought 25 used Remington 30-06 cases at a local gun shop, from a coffee can, for 10 cents each. I'm not real fond of Remington generally, as I usually find it thin in the necks. Nevermind though, as I was going to convert them to 308 Win. as I'm low on those. I found that the new necks were quite thick, after reforming they were 0.0170 , as they are from the old shoulder material. I'm still learning the art of neck turning. So after bringing them down to 0.0130 thick, I began wondering if I had cut them too far. Too far towards the shoulder that is. I decided that testing them with a light load would be prudent. I found some Lee C312-155-2R's that I had culled due to defects and decided to use them, along with a small quantity of IMR-3031 I had left. I had to interpolate a start load from the Lyman 4th, between a 150 and a 160 grain cast, as none was listed for the Lee. I decided on 27.5 grains. I had just enough for the 25 cases.
Yesterday, I got out my Ruger M77 Hawkeye and found the Millet red dot battery to be dead. I was not liking it much on that rifle any way, so I got out an NECG peep sight I had bought for my 77/357. I eye-balled the windage with a laser-site, got my broken shell extractor and left for the range. I was not expecting too much from the ammo, as the real intent was to see if the necks were going to stay on. I set up on the fifty, as it was a bit windy. The first three rounds hit the ten ring at twelve o'clock, all touching. I looked up to see if I was looking at someone else's target. Nope, that's mine. I adjusted the peep and started over. The next four were near center, touching. I moved POA left, four shot string, touching. Went back to center again, finished off the rounds. I got some fliers too, as you can see, but I was astonished. I guess I'll have to work on this load a bit more.

A. I was just testing the brass.
B. I chose the powder only because it was almost gone anyway.
C. I used boolits I had culled for re-casting, due to defects.
D. Throwing on the peep was a last minute decision.

mikeym1a
05-25-2013, 06:32 PM
I think that is what's call a pleasant surprise. Be sure to put that load in your notes for future reference. Seems to be a winner.

303Guy
05-25-2013, 07:06 PM
I suppose now you won't be able to find any IMR-3031 on the shelves. But if it was old IMR-3031 you really won't be able to find it! Or is the new stuff still the same?