PDA

View Full Version : Bridges

Revolver
05-25-2013, 09:10 AM
They keep saying the bridge collapsed, like it failed. It seems to me like it got hit by a truck, violating its structural integrity.

I was thinking, maybe they should do like McDonalds drive thru and hang a pipe about 1/4 mile before the bridge, so if a truck smacks the pipe they know they won't fit the bridge.

Low tech! Yes, No? Maybe so?

But it would probably cost about $50,000 to hang up a pipe. [smilie=b:

Hardcast416taylor
05-25-2013, 09:24 AM
NAW, then it would be a contest to see who can knock the pipe down first! Some truck drivers don`t seem to care about the height of their load or posted height limitations that are hanging on a pipe, just get the load there and drop it. My brother-in-law was a driver for 30 years and saw the good, the bad, and some real UGLY drivers.Robert

lka
05-25-2013, 09:27 AM
If the bridge failed then its a good excuse to raise taxes to maintain the roads and bridges......

Revolver
05-25-2013, 09:32 AM
I repeat, and quote myself... "[smilie=b:"

:)

shdwlkr
05-25-2013, 09:36 AM
The real issue is the bridges in this country for the most part are old, outdated for the traffic they carry and were never designed with today's loads in mind.
I built, designed, inspected bridges for decades they are in really bad shape really. The money that was to go to help rebuild them is spent every place but in repairing, replacing bridges and the other issue is it costs so much to replace them now.
The first bridge I worked on cost $500,000 to build with a fifty year life. The last one cost $5,000,000 with a life of 20 years. The steel we use today is not going to last a long time it is just isn't the quality of the old steel.

Here where I live we have 574 bridges that are 50 years old in just ten years that number goes to 1000. We have 20 that are like the one is Washington that collapsed 3 are functionally obsolete and 14 need some kind of structural issue. We even have one in the eastern part of the state that is to be replaced next year on a major highway for us. Lets hope it lasts that long.

cheese1566
05-25-2013, 09:56 AM
But it would probably cost about $50,000 to hang up a pipe. [smilie=b:

Yes very much so!
But don't forget all the additional $$$ spent on studies, committees, meetings, task forces, and special approvals just to get the pipe installed!!!

DLCTEX
05-25-2013, 10:03 AM
He was permited to take that route. Someone screwed up big time.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Gee,
didn't Obummer spend billions on 'stimulus' on infastructure ?

Oh yeah, that was spent as payoffs for his election donors ...like Solindra

Freightman
05-25-2013, 11:17 AM
News report on the bridges on I40 through Amarillo which are 50 + years old not a good report rust, deteriorating concrete ect. and there is a huge amt of truck traffic on it 24/7

Larry Gibson
05-25-2013, 11:20 AM
My daughter left here that morning and flew to SEATAC (Seatle Tacoma airport) and was driving home NB on I5 to Point Roberts, WA. She was about 5 minutes behind that truck. Wife and I saw the news flash and imediately called her and the call went right to voice box......scared the cr*p out of us until she called about 5 minutes later........

I've been over that bridge quite a few times and always rode the center lane when pulling my 5th whl (13' high) because the girders angle down on the sides. The driver was from Alberta, Ca and probably was not familiar with that bridge. WSP buddy says the rig was over hieght and over weight but permitted for it. The permit requires staying in the right lane which the driver did.......that was the error......no drugs or alcohol involved.

Glad daughter was safe and those 3 who went into the river are safe also.

Larry Gibson

quilbilly
05-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Believe it or not, there is a warning device a short ways north of that bridge so oversize trucks can get off to take the other bridge over the river. That bridge is on my fishing tackle sales route so I use it regularly. Something else must have happened

starmac
05-25-2013, 12:43 PM
This could be right or wrong but supposedly he was in the middle clearing the bridge when he had to swerve because of a four wheeler.
I did read where he had all his permits, sooo someone permitted him to run that route.

starmac
05-25-2013, 12:54 PM
The real reason the bridge collapsed. For some reason I hadn't thought of this. GROAN

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportation-report/highways-bridges-and-roads/301977-washington-state-democrat-gop-throwing-american-infrastructureunder-the-bus

felix
05-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Bridges around here get taken out by drunken boat drivers. ... felix

Larry Gibson
05-25-2013, 12:59 PM
The real reason the bridge collapsed. For some reason I hadn't thought of this. GROAN

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportation-report/highways-bridges-and-roads/301977-washington-state-democrat-gop-throwing-american-infrastructureunder-the-bus

Typical democrat rhetoric from a democratically controlled area and state. The $ for road building and bridge building/repair is all being spent by the democrats on the repalcement tunnel for the "viaduct" in guess where?.....downtown Seattle...........

Larry Gibson

dakotashooter2
05-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Yes very much so!
But don't forget all the additional $$$ spent on studies, committees, meetings, task forces, and special approvals just to get the pipe installed!!!

This kind of covers it. Most contractors could probably do the job for 25% less and still pay their workers a premium wage and have the same quality work and matterials if it were not for all government hoops they have to jump through.............

TXGunNut
05-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Wow. Didn't take long to blame yet another disaster or crisis on the GOP. This is my "surprised" look.[smilie=b: