PDA

View Full Version : new caster: Lee's tumble-lube molds

kellyj00
09-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Anyone use the Lee tumble-lube molds? I started into reloading about 3 months ago and have realized that I need to start making my own bullets now too to keep the costs down. Amazing what has happened with prices lately!

I'm thinking of a Lee bottom pour furnace for about $45 through Midway and two sets of Lee's 2 cavity dies, one in 45acp 200 grain SWC, tumble lube and a 9mm 125gr RNFP tumble lube.

I've read a few of the posts on this forum, and I've found it very helpful. I recently read through all the paste-wax cheap-lube alternatives, and I'm having trouble understanding what the outcome really is. I'm shooting semi-auto pistols, so what is a good lube to start with? I understand the Lee alox is about $4 a bottle, which ain't too bad, and with these tumble lube molds supposedly I don't have to size the bullets and lubing them is as easy as putting them in a jar with liquid alox and shaking it up to coat all the bullets. Is it that simple?

Sorry for so many questions in one post.

WCF3030
09-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm new at this as well, but I've used the lee lube and so far I think it works very well considering the low cost and ease of application.

No leading yet in my 30-30 with velocity in the upper 1900-2000fps.
But like I said I'm still new at this.

jonk
09-17-2007, 03:53 PM
I have only good things to say about Lee liqud alox (LLA); some folks here hate it. I think you should try it and see if you get leading- proper bullet fit is much more important than lube selection at handgun velocities, as any of the lubes on the market should do well by you.

So far as sizing, no you don't have to if the loaded round will chamber, but I find accuracy suffers if I go over 4 thousanths of an inch over bore size- so sizing may be well worth it.

ReAX222
09-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Fairly new as well. I went ahead bought a lube-a-matic 2 and 10 tubes of white label BAC. I might be shooting a bit more than you, 3-500 rounds per week, and I think that running the bullet through the LAM for both sizing and lubing is giving fairly consistent bullets at a reasonable speed. I notice on my 6 cavity .40 mold that when sizing some rounds are shave less than others. So in short, I'd rather all of my rounds get a pass through the sizer and while I am doing that, they can get lubed too.

NuJudge
09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
The tumble lube builds up in seating dies, resulting in gradually increasing seating depth, which causes gradually increasing pressures and may cause functioning problems. There are several ways to prevent or control this.

I typically use Lee Liquid Alox (LLA) thinned with mineral spirits. I only thin it with about 20% mineral spirits, 80% LLA. I usually hold the bullet in large tweezers, dip just the driving band area of the bullets, then set it on wax paper. I then take paper towel and press it agains the noses of the bullets to remove lube from the noses. I then let them dry.

I pick seating dies that I can clean without losing adjustment. Dillon seating dies allow one to remove a large circlip, take the die apart and clean it, reassemble the die, reinsert the circlip, all without changing adjustment. They are only available in some calibers.

I don't trust LLA at high velocities, but I've shot a good bit of these bullets in pistol calibers.

Cloudpeak
09-17-2007, 07:06 PM
I would recommend the Lee 6 cavity molds. I think most on this group would agree. I've had 4 of the 6 cavity molds and think they represent a good value and cast good bullets. One 45 cal mold cast undersized bullets but I "fixed" that problem. I think Lee would make things right, as well.

Get some Bullshop Sprue Plate Lube. It will save galling of the mold halves.

I've had good luck with LLA and I really like their low cost, push through sizer dies.

Cloudpeak

MT Gianni
09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Plenty of fish have been caught on Zebco reels. You have a good place to start and decide if this hobby is for you with out a major investment. Gianni

44woody
09-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Kellyjoo if you want them I have 2 45acp lee 6cavity moulds 1 is a 200gr swc the other is a 230gr RN one is missing a part of the spew cutter but you can get one from lee and one set of handles they are yours for postage and $10 I think I can put them in a flat rate enveolope for $5.00 give me a pm if you want them and welcome to to board :castmine: 44Woody